Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2020, 02:31 AM

Default E clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
The clip wasn’t anywhere to be found when I pulled the plastic cover off, as stated earlier there was a few small pieces of metal that fell out when I opened it up, at that point I just put the cover back on and brought it in figuring they would honour their warranty, it wasn’t like I had done anything irregular.
They probably lost the eclip when they took it off and didn’t bother giving you a new one. I’ve seen a few guys send them flying when taking them off.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 224MV View Post
They probably lost the eclip when they took it off and didn’t bother giving you a new one. I’ve seen a few guys send them flying when taking them off.
The eclip was 100% gone before I brought it in, when it gave me issues I pulled the plastic case off and the clutch drum and sprocket was loosely goosey. I hadn’t taken it apart before as it was a pretty new machine so I honestly didn’t even know some of these parts existed until I did some research after I had brought it in. Between this thread and some of my own research I now have a fairly good idea of how this works and I am piecing it together what happened. It’s clear to me the eclip was missing, the bearing failure and destruction accounts for the metal falling out, now as far as the cause I can’t say with certainty what caused it, whether or not something got sucked in or if it was a straight failure of a part. Bare minimum I am very disappointed with Cervus equipment in Balzac with their diagnosis as they didn’t even mention these parts. As far as the warranty I’m also disappointed with stihl as they didn’t honour their warranty.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:03 PM

Man this is too bad. Hopefully Trees guy can set it right for a reasonable price.

Dealerships can be run by some nefarious individuals. One no longer in business/owned by a couple of individuals would sell equipment to certain black market entrepreneurs for cash claim ser# as stolen/lost then then when it broke they warranty repair it under Ser# of my { I upgraded many pcs of equipment that time} or someone else's above board purchase.
Took a machine in 3 months into warranty {Husquavarna} was told warranty denied going to cost XXX$ to fix by dealer. no reason given.
Phoned parent company was told by them warranty denied as it had been fixed for same thing and a couple of other things a couple of times already They said it was indicative of miss use so I told them. No first and only time its ever been in. I look after my stuff.
They investigated found a plethora of warranty claims many of them fraudulent. Got mine fixed at another reputable dealer no charge. Still was a PITA as potential earning time was lost and no recompense for that.

I own several saws and have dealt with many others POS through the years. Outfitters are really bad for junk saws.
Constantly amazed by how many random individuals think More {2 stroke oil } is better

A couple things I adhere to.

#1 Best to have your own saw.
#2 Do Not Lend it out.
#3 Mix #1 gas & prem oil no more than you think you will use for that day.
#4 Check oil twice as often as gas. Use summer and winter weight as needed
#5 Before use turn chain by hand.
#6 Once started before cutting test rev spin chain, check for oil spatter on light surface.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:14 PM

Default Eclip

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
The eclip was 100% gone before I brought it in, when it gave me issues I pulled the plastic case off and the clutch drum and sprocket was loosely goosey. I hadn’t taken it apart before as it was a pretty new machine so I honestly didn’t even know some of these parts existed until I did some research after I had brought it in. Between this thread and some of my own research I now have a fairly good idea of how this works and I am piecing it together what happened. It’s clear to me the eclip was missing, the bearing failure and destruction accounts for the metal falling out, now as far as the cause I can’t say with certainty what caused it, whether or not something got sucked in or if it was a straight failure of a part. Bare minimum I am very disappointed with Cervus equipment in Balzac with their diagnosis as they didn’t even mention these parts. As far as the warranty I’m also disappointed with stihl as they didn’t honour their warranty.
It is possible it came off while you’re running it, but if the washer was still there when the dealer returned your saw I’d still guess they lost it. If the eclip came off when you were running the saw I’d guess the washer would of as well. There would also probably be some markings on the inside of the clutch cover from the sprocket and chain rubbing on it. The play in the clutch drum/sprocket was probably because there was no bearing left. I think the eclip is about 1$ so really a moot point considering everything else.

I hope it works out for you but I don’t think it will in your favour. If they don’t cover it at least you’ll have some knowledge now and can get the parts and assemble it yourself now..
Old 10-31-2020, 08:01 PM

Was having issues with my stihl last time out turned out to be to gear in the end of the bar took a screw driver and widened it up a bit and all was good....was bogging down and getting hot
Old 10-31-2020, 08:36 PM

Also the manual says to slack the chain after every use or clutch damage may result , doubt most do this