Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2020, 08:07 PM

Default Sheep “Closer”

Did anyone get out to the West Country for the final few days? My friend who lives out there informed us that first snowstorm in mid Oct had the passes impassable and the trials 12-18” deep. I know a couple guys who had plans for a final weekend trip. I know we had plans for a tentative final gasp to get me BIL his rams but those plans were thwarted by the inevitable....
Old 11-01-2020, 09:04 PM

I was there the weekend after thanksgiving, snow to my waist in some spots.
Early season was crawling with granola munchers. I’m not a sheep hunter, just had a non-trophy draw. Nothing else to report really. I went 3 times, 8 days I guess and only saw tracks.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:49 PM

I didn’t make it out due to work. Last two weeks though snow level was over a foot at lower elevations. Not sure I’d attempt a pass with fluctuating temperatures and avalanche danger. Also hard to get into areas without 4x4. What I’ve learned is I need a good 3-5 days at least to hunt sheep properly.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-02-2020, 12:52 AM

I made it out Tuesday for a day hike looking for mule deer. About 6 inches of snow that was rapidly melting when I headed in. Ended up spotting a ram around 1 and shooting him at 5! Once I got in the trees on my way up the mountain the snow definitely became more of a problem. Wet and slippery and ranging from 8inches to over a foot. Once I got above the tree line it was pretty sketchy climbing over and around rocks that were wet and snowy. Managed to get within 200 yards before I shot my ram. It was my first ram and I’m still in disbelief that it all worked out! I have to say I wouldn’t recommend trying to pack a sheep out solo down an extremely slippery mountain without hiking poles, flashlight, or some sort of cleats for your boots. I had some scary falls and some of my equipment is still on the side of that mountain! Well worth the experience though. The only bummer is my cape was destroyed when the bugger decided to run straight off the side of the mountain.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:58 AM

Not sure why my pics all loaded in sideways...
Old 11-02-2020, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam scary hunt for sure congrats......go back up in the spring to retrieve your gear

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2020, 06:55 AM

Congratulations on a great Ram, that’s some hard core chit brother two thumbs up 👍🏼 👍🏼
Bluedog
P.S. a good taxidermist will fix that cape up like new!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
I made it out Tuesday for a day hike looking for mule deer. About 6 inches of snow that was rapidly melting when I headed in. Ended up spotting a ram around 1 and shooting him at 5! Once I got in the trees on my way up the mountain the snow definitely became more of a problem. Wet and slippery and ranging from 8inches to over a foot. Once I got above the tree line it was pretty sketchy climbing over and around rocks that were wet and snowy. Managed to get within 200 yards before I shot my ram. It was my first ram and I’m still in disbelief that it all worked out! I have to say I wouldn’t recommend trying to pack a sheep out solo down an extremely slippery mountain without hiking poles, flashlight, or some sort of cleats for your boots. I had some scary falls and some of my equipment is still on the side of that mountain! Well worth the experience though. The only bummer is my cape was destroyed when the bugger decided to run straight off the side of the mountain.

Wow.....that is fantastic......Congrats on your ram!!!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:09 AM

We took part of our camp into a new area a month ago so we could check it out. Originally we were going in for the hunt on Sat the 24th but postponed due to weather. Headed out this past Monday but things fell apart quickly. Blown head gasket on my truck left us with no way to get the horses and gear to the trail head. Truck was repaired and ready Friday evening so we headed out early Sat (Oct 31) and got into camp just to see the season end.
Recovered our gear and headed back home yesterday after overnighting.
As it turns out the snow was deep and extremely hard crusted so even if we had of made it in earlier in the week it was unlikely we would have stayed more than a couple of days as the horses would not have been able to feed.
Next year!!!!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
We took part of our camp into a new area a month ago so we could check it out. Originally we were going in for the hunt on Sat the 24th but postponed due to weather. Headed out this past Monday but things fell apart quickly. Blown head gasket on my truck left us with no way to get the horses and gear to the trail head. Truck was repaired and ready Friday evening so we headed out early Sat (Oct 31) and got into camp just to see the season end.
As it turns out the snow was deep and extremely hard crusted so even if we had of made it in earlier in the week it was unlikely we would have stayed more than a couple of days as the horses would not have been able to feed.
Next year!!!!
Sorry to hear this man! I always look forward to your escapades. Do you have any photos you would like to share?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
This is incredible. I am pumped for you! That must have been one tough slug down the mountain! It's hard enough with a good partner to help never mind solo. Congrats and well done!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Awesome! Congrats
Old 11-02-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Sorry to hear this man! I always look forward to your escapades. Do you have any photos you would like to share?
Any pictures I took show too much geography to post on here lol!!

Hopefully have some pictures to share after our elk hunt at the end of the month.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Any pictures I took show too much geography to post on here lol!!

Hopefully have some pictures to share after our elk hunt at the end of the month.
Haha gotcha. Yup a guys gotta be careful
Old 11-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Next year!!!!
Don't feel too bad. I had similar for the trip I was supposed to do with a couple other guys late season... trailer loaded, lunch for the drive and a coffee in-hand, I noticed a nail in my rear tire walking to load the horses.. stuck my head in the wheel well and next seen a slipped broken leaf on that same sides spring-set Patched the tire, but was 10 days later before the new springs and shocks showed up, too late to matter.

Whatta ya do.

I kinda figured it was sitting funny when I hooked Be ready for it next year.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Pretty deep/hard drifts higher up and seriously crazy winds last couple days.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Awesome! congrats! As I always tell guys you mine as well bring out the cape regardless of the shape its in. You never know what a good taxidermist can fix. COngrats again!
Old 11-04-2020, 01:38 AM

I guess I should mention that he is tagged. I skinned the one side of his face and put in the eye tag after losing the nose tag while falling down the damn mountain haha. Ya looking back I really wish I had tried harder to salvage the cape. I had hit a deer a couple days before and used my headlamp to check out the damage and it didn’t get back in my pack apparently. I ended up skinning and breaking down the sheep with my phones flashlight while I tried to hold it in my teeth. At the time it looked unsalvageable to me. He hit face first off the first cliff and broke his jaw/nose with the jaw bone actually tearing out the side of his face. After the second cliff he hit a sharp broken branch that ripped him pretty well from hip to upper neck. Made for a big stinky mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2020, 01:40 AM

I skinned it back a little bit to check out the meat damage but he was pretty torn open as well.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the congrats guys! It was an awesome experience. Still in disbelief right now.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the congrats guys! It was an awesome experience. Still in disbelief right now.

Rule #1 always take the cape with you. You’d be amazed at what a good taxidermist can fix. My ram decided to jump off a 150’ cliff and I thought the cape was a total right off. After Kevin at Top Notch was done with my ram you’d never known the cape was damaged.

Last edited by ram crazy; 02-23-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Rule #1 always take the cape with you. You’d be amazed at what a good taxidermist can fix. My ram decided to jump off a 150’ cliff and I thought the cape was a total right off. After Kevin at Top Notch was done with my ram you’d never known the cape was damaged.
Such a nice ram buddy!
Old 11-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post

Wow that is a beautiful ram.
I definitely learned my lesson. It has at least inspired me to find a really nice ram one day that I can get mounted properly. I still think this guy will look neat as a euro, and I’ve got a story to go with him.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I definitely learned my lesson. It has at least inspired me to find a really nice ram one day that I can get mounted properly. I still think this guy will look neat as a euro, and I’ve got a story to go with him.

No shame in a Euro. I think they look awesome. The bottom line is you killed a ram on a solo hunt. That is a super huge accomplishment that cannot be summed up by taxidermy style. Heck you were even able to get down the mountain without dragging the heavy cape out too. Don't sweat it!
Old 11-04-2020, 09:28 AM

^^^ what he said and euro's look great! congrats
Old 11-04-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Nice work and congrats on the ram. I think euro mounts on sheep look great.

Gerry Burnie