Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Default Wild Life Certificate Fees

Never mind the fact that I don't see how tying Wild Life Certificate purchases to Draws will reduce wait times; what I'd like to know now is what will the new revenue be used for? If there's no plan then once again the hunting community has no transparency when it comes to managing the resource.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:39 PM

I believe it goes towards funding muskox hunts in northern Alberta.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Never mind the fact that I don't see how tying Wild Life Certificate purchases to Draws will reduce wait times; what I'd like to know now is what will the new revenue be used for? If there's no plan then once again the hunting community has no transparency when it comes to managing the resource.
I don't think it is going to make a substantial difference, but it can't hurt right? I mean the nature of your posts sort of suggests you are put off by the wildlife certificate requirement. If it is an issue for you, it is probably an issue for others. At least some folks are going to refrain from applying due to the additional expense. Anyone who actually intends on hunting is going to buy the certificate anyway, so what is the issue?
Old 07-29-2019, 01:40 PM

The income from the licensing goes towards conservation projects. You can find all the financials and the current projects on the alberta conservation website.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:02 PM

I see it as a way to get the anties out of the system. In order to buy the wildlife cert dont you need a hunter education certificate.

Gbuss
Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
I see it as a way to get the anties out of the system. In order to buy the wildlife cert dont you need a hunter education certificate.

Gbuss
Anyone with a simple WIN Card can currently apply for a Draw. The proposal to have a valid Wildlife Certificate as well before applying in 2020 will make a big difference for those applying en masse for draws. An even bigger difference will be seen if a Credit Card to pay for any successful draw apps were included... as well as proof of permanent Alberta residence for the previous 6 months. (should be a year IMHO). Far too many abusers of the current system for anybody's liking.. It's causing more grief to the current Draw system than APOS will ever do.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Anyone with a simple WIN Card can currently apply for a Draw. The proposal to have a valid Wildlife Certificate as well before applying in 2020 will make a big difference for those applying en masse for draws. An even bigger difference will be seen if a Credit Card to pay for any successful draw apps were included... as well as proof of permanent Alberta residence for the previous 6 months. (should be a year IMHO). Far too many abusers of the current system for anybody's liking.. It's causing more grief to the current Draw system than APOS will ever do.
X2
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 PM

Alberta is by far the cheapest draw model in North America. You already have to buy it to hunt every year, make those that just pay less than $4 to make you wait longer pay a little more for it. Out of province can pay a little more IMO.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 PM

I really don’t understand the issue with having to buy the wild life certificate in order to enter draws. You need it anyways. I buy mine every spring when we get our bear tags and come fall it’s nice not to fork over the cash for that and my bow permit. And to top it all off it’s not like it’s a 100$ certificate. Sounds like the people upset are the ones that were maybe working the system some way or another.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
I really don’t understand the issue with having to buy the wild life certificate in order to enter draws. You need it anyways.
You don't need it if you are unsuccessful in the draws and don't intend to hunt on a general tag or license.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I really don’t understand the issue with having to buy the wild life certificate in order to enter draws. You need it anyways. I buy mine every spring when we get our bear tags and come fall it’s nice not to fork over the cash for that and my bow permit. And to top it all off it’s not like it’s a 100$ certificate. Sounds like the people upset are the ones that were maybe working the system some way or another.
Agreed
If you don’t want to pay for the wildlife certificate
Then you’d have to increase the price of entering draws
Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
100% of the funds go towards it lol
Old 07-30-2019, 05:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Nope......the stewards of the land will manage the herd

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
You don't need it if you are unsuccessful in the draws and don't intend to hunt on a general tag or license.
I am not sure about this statement as far as the whole issue with the draws?
I would think that most people who apply for draws are going to in some way be hunting something other than the draws they applied for, hence having to buy one anyways? The whole premise of the new rule?
It seems like a good first step, cost effective to the people who are wanting to hunt and draw and eliminate people who are just filling spots.

JMO
Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM

I am on opposite side of the argument. I believe it will provide much more good then any hassles it might bring. I believe the idea behind making it mandatory among other things is that it should reduce the ole "drawing for my wife" who has no intention of ever pulling the trigger on a animal herself tags.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The only downside I see to this is if you only intend to hunt an animal on a draw tag but are unsuccessful then you have wasted your $30 on the certificate you will not be using.

Its fine if you intend to hunt other game animals on a general license or tag.

I still think the anti's will find away around this. Im sure there are already go fund me pages looking for donations to pay for the wildlife certificates. You need a Hunters Ed # to buy a certificate but does anyone actually verify these numbers or can you just enter any number to satisfy the system?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
The only downside I see to this is if you only intend to hunt an animal on a draw tag but are unsuccessful then you have wasted your $30 on the certificate you will not be using.

Its fine if you intend to hunt other game animals on a general license or tag.

I still think the anti's will find away around this. Im sure there are already go fund me pages looking for donations to pay for the wildlife certificates. You need a Hunters Ed # to buy a certificate but does anyone actually verify these numbers or can you just enter any number to satisfy the system?
You don't need a Hunter Education Number to purchase a Wildlife certificate, or to purchase licenses, there are exceptions. I have held hunting licenses since 1972, and I have never taken a Hunter Safety course. But several people have been charged for lying about holding previous licenses, in order to purchase a Wildlife Certificate.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You don't need a Hunter Education Number to purchase a Wildlife certificate, or to purchase licenses, there are exceptions. I have held hunting licenses since 1972, and I have never taken a Hunter Safety course. But several people have been charged for lying about holding previous licenses, in order to purchase a Wildlife Certificate.
Are you sure about that ? How do you purchase a Wildlife Certificate without a WIN Card ?

It was possible to be Grandfathered in if you stated you have held a Hunting license prior to the requirement for Hunter Ed before obtaining a WIN Card .. but that is pretty much ancient history these days.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:02 AM

You just have to check the box that you have completed hunters ed. You can just skip where it asks for the number and it still let's you buy tags. I completed mine in the late 90s and was never given a card or a number, I had the phone ahea to get it. But long story short you can buy the wildlife certificate without a hunters ed number

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Are you sure about that ? How do you purchase a Wildlife Certificate without a WIN Card ?

It was possible to be Grandfathered in if you stated you have held a Hunting license prior to the requirement for Hunter Ed before obtaining a WIN Card .. but that is pretty much ancient history these days.
Yes, I am very sure about that. I have a WIN card, when I bought my first WIN card, I met the conditions for purchasing one, without having taken a course. I have held hunting licenses in four provinces and two states. It may be ancient history to you, but it applies in my case, and in the case of many other people that moved to Alberta from other provinces.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes, I am very sure about that. I have a WIN card, when I bought my first WIN card, I met the conditions for purchasing one, without having taken a course. I have held hunting licenses in four provinces and two states. It may be ancient history to you, but it applies in my case, and in the case of many other people that moved to Alberta from other provinces.
I believe for new applicants it requires a number now regardless. I know you could be grandfathered in years ago. Your average anti likely hasn't taken the course so anyone wishing to apply for tags to save the wildlife would have to fake it. I was just asking if anyone actually checks the hunters ed numbers or the claim that they have hunted in other provinces? If not it could be very easy to fake it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I believe for new applicants it requires a number now regardless. I know you could be grandfathered in years ago. Your average anti likely hasn't taken the course so anyone wishing to apply for tags to save the wildlife would have to fake it. I was just asking if anyone actually checks the hunters ed numbers or the claim that they have hunted in other provinces? If not it could be very easy to fake it.
Nobody checks new applicants from out of Province. The system is wide open for abuse. Putting the Hunter Ed course on-line was also a major blunder .. all in the name of covenience. If you want to hunt in Alberta there is nothing wrong with putting in a little effort and having the proper documents to prove
Alberta residency and prior licensing. We Albertans deserve what we got with this Draw system by allowing it to happen in the first place. Garbage in- garbage out.