Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Backyard pub-shed

Hey Guys

I'm looking to build a backyard pub-shed next summer...basically just a little spot with a bar and maybe a poker table and possibly a TV. I've been having trouble getting the info on permitting and what to classify this as.

I know that I can build a 10x10 shed without a permit....that's not what I'm looking for.... but I'd like to build something bigger and I just want to know whether to classify it as a shed or a small garage or what?

Whats the biggest shed you can build before it becomes designated a garage?

I called the city but ended up talking to someone who could really only tell me about the 10x10 rule.....pretty useless

Any help would be appreciated...basically just need to know whats the biggest pub-shed I can get away with and how much the city will ding me for permits.

Located in Calgary...have a big, private yard with alley and greenspaces in front and behind me.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:43 PM

You're going to get real frustrated real quick dealing with the city.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...l-building.pdf
Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM

Don't anchor it to the ground, ie - put it on blocks. I've always been told that if it's a moveable structure that you don't need a permit. I could be wrong but I built a 10x16 "shed" on my property with no issues this way.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
Don't anchor it to the ground, ie - put it on blocks. I've always been told that if it's a moveable structure that you don't need a permit. I could be wrong but I built a 10x16 "shed" on my property with no issues this way.
I've heard something along these lines too....although the guy told me it had to be on skids. If I built this thing up enough I probably would take it when I move....was thinking of doing it like a little log cabin.

Can anyone confirm this? Also heard that if the roof material is not permanent (ie thin plastic) then it isn't considered a permanent structure......anyone know about this?
Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
You're going to get real frustrated real quick dealing with the city.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...l-building.pdf
I was frustrated after 1 phone call
Old 10-04-2017, 03:11 PM

The other thing to consider here to is whether you think you'll actually get caught. If you live in the country the enforcers of the county only show up if the neighbours call them. County inspectors don't go looking for code violations, they only respond to complaints. If this "shed" isn't viewable from the road I'm not sure I would bother pulling a permit.

Yeah I like to get permits for everything I do but sometimes they make it such a pain in the ass I'm willing to break the rules.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
I've heard something along these lines too....although the guy told me it had to be on skids. If I built this thing up enough I probably would take it when I move....was thinking of doing it like a little log cabin.

Can anyone confirm this? Also heard that if the roof material is not permanent (ie thin plastic) then it isn't considered a permanent structure......anyone know about this?
If you do no more than 10x10 you don't need a building permit.

You could put it on skids, and call it moveable. The roof stuff makes no difference.

If you have good neighbors, honestly, I'd build the thing 10x10, on skids, and not tell the city.

If you want to do it the proper way, you'd have to check your zoning to find out what is permitted. Then you'd have to have a DP pre-application meeting with a planner to see how they'd designate the structure since it's not a backyard suite, or a garage. Your best bet is to call it a glorified storage shed.

So, if your zoning checks out, and you have enough remaining landscaped area on your property, and you're far enough from property lines (limiting distance calculations and non-combustible requirements come into play) then you might be able to install an accesory building on your site, for which you would have to get a development permit for. It would be advertised, and go through several layers of approvals.

Then, if it is over 10x10, you're going to need a building permit, with full frost free foundations etc. Development Permits and Building Permits are two separate things, and you'll need a DP first.

Forgot to mention, they will require that you have the plans done up professionally, and depending on scope they may require you to have a structural engineer. You wouldn't need a full architect, but a decent technologist to help you navigate the multiple layers bureaucracy.

Like I said, you're going to HATE dealing with the city.

Last edited by Albertadiver; 10-04-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:21 PM

I would stay under the radar with a 10 x 10 on skids and make one wall open upwards so you have a covered patio in the summer.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 PM

2 10x10's side by side Sounds like a lot of hoops for a fun time. Hope it works out.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Careful. My buddy moved his easy chair, t.v. and fridge out to the garage. His buddies would come over for a beer and to watch the game. Next thing D.I.V.O.R.C.E.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

I was told the skid thing too but you also have to have an opening big enough to skid it out or it will be consider permanent and would apply to the % of land your allowed to cover with buildings on your lot. Bigger the lot the more land you can cover with buildings
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Banned

It is often easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. YMMV.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the input boys....ya dealing with the city is such a pain over something so minor....I do have good neighbors and a pretty private yard that is not visible from the main street.

So I was thinking of building a raised platform or patio then putting the building(s) on the platform. Do you think I could get away with a couple of 10x10 sheds that are possibly connected with a roof overhang or something...or just temporarily connected in summer and then separated into separate building in winter??....or should I just build one big shed that is bigger then 10x10 and just say that I'm taking it when I move. I plan on building a big swing gate in the yard so a car could drive through, so that's how I plan on taking it out...through the back alley.

Any thoughts? Also wanted to put a little wood burning stove inside if possible.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Careful. My buddy moved his easy chair, t.v. and fridge out to the garage. His buddies would come over for a beer and to watch the game. Next thing D.I.V.O.R.C.E.
This is easily the funniest thing that was posted so far.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
This is easily the funniest thing that was posted so far.
funny but true. On the other side of the coin an old timer had written in his obituary for a good marriage that a man always needs a shed to go to when it gets to hot in the kitchen
Old 10-05-2017, 01:12 PM

A lot of expense and hassle with the direction you're thinking of.

If its an attached garage, ignore the rest of this post (but I would go up in thats case if possible)

Why not just extend or expand your garage. (or build one)
And put up a curtain to the area if you need separation.

You solve the issues of separate power and heat.
Extra windows and doors.
Your property value increases when selling.
Its not an unsightly shack lot looking like a shanty town.
When you need the extra garage space for a truck/etc, you have it.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
A lot of expense and hassle with the direction you're thinking of.

If its an attached garage, ignore the rest of this post (but I would go up in thats case if possible)

Why not just extend or expand your garage. (or build one)
And put up a curtain to the area if you need separation.

You solve the issues of separate power and heat.
Extra windows and doors.
Your property value increases when selling.
Its not an unsightly shack lot looking like a shanty town.
When you need the extra garage space for a truck/etc, you have it.
Ya I think you're on to something. AI basically just wanted an excuse to build a little log cabin in my yard to hang out in but I guess I can make the inside of a garage look like a cabin and just avoid the permitting hassle.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Ya I think you're on to something. AI basically just wanted an excuse to build a little log cabin in my yard to hang out in but I guess I can make the inside of a garage look like a cabin and just avoid the permitting hassle.
Probably your best bet, and best bang for your buck.