Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2016, 05:53 PM

Default Firearms transport question

Does a non restricted firearm need to be cased at night when you are transporting it? As in if you are returning home from a full day of hunting and it is after legal hunting time does the firearm need to be in a case/locked in your vehicle while driving home? Can't find if there are any Alberta laws on this only the federal transportation laws which are that the firearm only need be unloaded during transportation.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 PM

No!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoy07 View Post
Does a non restricted firearm need to be cased at night when you are transporting it? As in if you are returning home from a full day of hunting and it is after legal hunting time does the firearm need to be in a case/locked in your vehicle while driving home? Can't find if there are any Alberta laws on this only the federal transportation laws which are that the firearm only need be unloaded during transportation.

This is one I ask myself from time to time. When I'm done hunting, either I've left the zone I have tags and licenses for or shooting light is past, I throw a cable lock through it just to me safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
This is one I ask myself from time to time. When I'm done hunting, either I've left the zone I have tags and licenses for or shooting light is past, I throw a cable lock through it just to me safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yield ye not to temptation sayeth The Lord
Old 11-27-2016, 06:06 PM

Page 35 of the regs (copy and pasted the statement):

If not in the process of hunting in a Provincial Park or Provincial Recreation Area that has an open season, all firearms must be unloaded, encased or dismantled.

Have been stopped several times by F&W north of Hinton in William Switzer Park and this is one of the things they have always looked for. It is a park you just pass through.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
Page 35 of the regs (copy and pasted the statement):

If not in the process of hunting in a Provincial Park or Provincial Recreation Area that has an open season, all firearms must be unloaded, encased or dismantled.

Have been stopped several times by F&W north of Hinton in William Switzer Park and this is one of the things they have always looked for. It is a park you just pass through.
Provincial and National parks are different but the OP did not specify Provincial Parks so the assumption was general areas
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-27-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoy07 View Post
I believe you are describing Ontario transport laws. After legal hunting time, it needs to be in a locked case

No silly laws like that in AB.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:22 PM

Have it sitting on your lap, mag on the dash.

No legal requirement to do anything other than have it unloaded
Old 11-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

(You can) have it sitting on your lap, magazine on the dash.

No legal requirement to do anything other than have it unloaded.
This...
Old 11-27-2016, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the insights and clarification. I was only curious due to a friend mentioning getting stopped by the co"s after legal light and checking if guns were in cases. Now I haven't clarified for sure with my friend if that is exactly what they were looking for because it was a quick txt in low reception area. Was 100 percent sure there was no law till I got a this txt on this and my mind dropped to 99 percent sure lol. Made for some good reading online and going over a bit of the regs again which is never a bad read regardless.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I believe you are describing Ontario transport laws. After legal hunting time, it needs to be in a locked case

No silly laws like that in AB.
Dont think it needs to be locked just encased when travelling to or from an area with wildlife. Something like that.

In addition to PP's and NP's any road corridor wildlife sanctuary has to be in a case as well. Got stopped along with another truck. I was good. Other boys looked like they might have been in trouble with 3 rifles taken out of the truck before I left.