Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Jet boat

I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a jet sometime between now and the spring.

One I like is a Crestliner 16ft. flat bottom jon with a Merc 4 stroke 60 with power tilt.

Pricey around 16K. wondering if 60 is enough HP and what other options should I be looking at.

I also will want to take it out on lakes from time to time
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM

60/40 jet should be okay on a 16'. You'll probably top out at 25mph depending on how much weight you have in the boat. More power is always better though - faster boat = less time jetting around = more fishing time.

A tunnel hull is better and a bit of a V in the front is better for getting on plane and turning. Don't need to spend much for a depthfinder on the river but a good GPS is a must. I put an electric anchor on c/w a wireless remote and it's the cat's ass!!

You should check out the Alumacraft SC1650 at Gibbons for $15k and see if they can upgrade to a bigger motor.
$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+WIBQFwdb1rFQ~~48_20.jpg

Keep checking kijiji though. Probably some good deals coming up.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM

I've tried a few, settled on a 5.7 in a 19 footer. Make sure you test drive it before you buy.

I found the outboard jets to be louder and always had small fuel tanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM

I have a explorer 16' with a 60/40 Yamaha 4stroke for sale. 3 years old, very quite engine and go in inches of water. Only reason I'm selling because I'm taking the plunge and buying a inboard. Low hrs and in good shape looking to get 20000.00 for it they are now 26000.00 new
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM

one thing I discovered from my adventures with my new to me boat, dont forget the trailer, you will be taking roads less travelled, mine had a cheap 1 1/2 square axle and low weight leaf springs, broke one spring and decided to get it upgraded to 800 pound springs on a 3500 pound axle, with real 14 inch wheels and tires, made a huge difference. only drawback is needing a little more water to launch, but well worth the trouble. less than 500 total for wheels axles springs and tires.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM

I looked at outboard jets before I made my choice to go with a 16ft Outlaw lynx with a 200hp merc sportjet. This boat has been everything I could have wanted, lots of room for 3 people to fish out of and tough as nails. Many rocks and gravel bars on the SSR and no worse for wear. They are a bit pricey but no regrets so far. I have a buddy with an explorer with a 90hp yamaha and he gets whereever I go, just avoids the rocks and shallow stuff more than I have to but it is a very nice boat as well. Good luck on your search.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM

I have a Explorer 16ft w/ Yamaha 60/40 ,pretty much go anywhere its wet,amazing boat,built for Alberta rivers....just wish I had more time to use it.

Not sure about the jon style boats,I kind of like having 1/2" UHMWand a 84" beam....

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...