Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM

Default Thinking Of Moving To Hinton

Fellas me and momma are ready for a change, the house is listed and we are thinking of moving to hinton, close to the mountains and bigger town than breton, lol.

Is there baseball league and sports in hinton, whats it like living there, is there jobs for kids and wifes, fun family stuff to do like swimming pool and stuff.

Any friendly suggestions or anythign about hinton would be great, its nice and central for me working on the rigs too.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM

I lived in Edson for years, (close to Hinton). Used to go there quite a bit, and all I remember about Hinton that sticks out is the smell from the pulp mill. It's pretty bad, overwhelming at times. I'd make sure to check it out, and get a house pretty far away from that end of town.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Fellas me and momma are ready for a change, the house is listed and we are thinking of moving to hinton, close to the mountains and bigger town than breton, lol.

Is there baseball league and sports in hinton, whats it like living there, is there jobs for kids and wifes, fun family stuff to do like swimming pool and stuff.

Any friendly suggestions or anythign about hinton would be great, its nice and central for me working on the rigs too.
Hey Gunslinger,
I moved to Hinton almost 3 years ago from southern Ab for work because there are tons of jobs here between the oil field, sawmill and pulp mill, and 3 or 4 mines in the area. It is a very industry driven town, prices are a bit higher on almost everything compared to where I come from but I think it is all relevant.
There are beer league softball teams, hockey teams, and rodeo in town. And being only 40 minutes from Jasper is a bonus. Theres tones of hiking, mountain biking and quading trails in the immediate area. Theres an indoor pool in the rec center aswell.
The only big downfall to this town is having the pulp mill in the middle of town... not the most pleasant aroma on some days.
Hinton is big enough that you should be able to find everything you need here.
Now is a good time to buy a place here too because theres a new mine coming into the area in the next year or so.
Good Luck and hope you like it if you make the move!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned

I live on the hill in Hinton and have yet to smell the mill up here, its the valley that gets the stink once in a while. Not as bad as most make it out to be, you do get the odd real bad day but not that often
Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 PM

Ya that's the last place on earth I'd want to live unless you got a guaranteed job at the mill. What about Edson or Whitecourt?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d246 View Post
Ya that's the last place on earth I'd want to live unless you got a guaranteed job at the mill. What about Edson or Whitecourt?
why is that? Hinton is 100 times better then those other 2 you names
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM

I spent a year working in hinton about 5 years ago. You get used to the smell of.the mill. Only time i found it bad was when it was really cold out, like -40. As far as hinton vs whitecourt or edson, I'd take hinton anyday, especially over edson.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24 PM

yea i always liked the place, especially when we were chasing sheep around cadomin. And if there is sports and activities for us to do that all we need.

We just need a change, new friends , a little excitement, some sports and soem school activities for the kids. And with me working the rigs it really dont matter where we live so i think the change will be good.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Sounds like a fun move Pat!! Hinton area sure is some nice country for sure!!

Good luck with the move!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Your lucky, bring me with you
Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Your lucky, bring me with you
No no no BGSH, he said he and 'Momma'. He doesn't 'swing' that way

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
No no no BGSH, he said he and 'Momma'. He doesn't 'swing' that way
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 AM

Gunslinger, if you don't mind being 10 or 15 minutes out of town, I would look at the Brule area. Beautiful country on the edge of Jasper National Park. It's a bit windy there, but you won't smell the pulp mill that often. It's a small hamlet, with some outlying acerages, right at the base of the mountains. However, the hunting in 439 is really poor, so you may want to hunt somewhere else.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:54 AM

lota bears,,,and the fishing sucks to..hinton cotains some fine ***** .}@
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
As far as hinton vs whitecourt or edson, I'd take hinton anyday, especially over edson.
X2
Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 AM

We moved here a couple years ago. House prices were a bit higher than FSJ. Try and get a place on the hill. We rarely get the mill smell. It sure is nice being able to get to the mountains in minutes if you like that. Lots of work, diversified economy.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
would you be buying a existing house or in your case...building a trophy room that has an attached house??

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

Gunslinger wtF. Hey don't get me wrong moving was one of the best moves I ever made but Hinton. I hate that place. I'd rather move to Grande Cache. But if you have the wife talked into moving I'd head to BC some where. I wish I'd have went that route. Just for the hunting options.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Banned

I don't know if it matters but when I visited hinton in 2010 they didn't have a movie theater. I also found it hard to find entertainment after 8pm other than going to the bar and drinking.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM

There will be a theater in Hinton again soon, possibly this year. As the others have posted do not buy a place in the valley which is downwind of the big stink. We have an acreage west of town and very rarely get the smell. There are also 3 -4 acreages west of town that are listed at this time. This is a sportsmans paradise !
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
X2
Hey Kronk:

Would you live in GC?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
would you be buying a existing house or in your case...building a trophy room that has an attached house??
LOL thats the kicker right there, the house is going to have to be a humdinger for sure, although i do have 13 mounts on hold as we speak till we get settled. But found a few brand new places with vaulted ceilings already and 12 foot walls.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Gunslinger wtF. Hey don't get me wrong moving was one of the best moves I ever made but Hinton. I hate that place. I'd rather move to Grande Cache. But if you have the wife talked into moving I'd head to BC some where. I wish I'd have went that route. Just for the hunting options.
we looked at bc lots but im not moving to dawson creek after workign there for 6 years, and if you go any further than that then its just not good travelling for the rig.

Trinidad just give me a 4 year 250 day contract with pennwest to build them another brand new rig to work around edson ,drayton , rocky, hinton, fox creek area.

And with that kind of contract me and momma want another adventure, can always come back to breton. And i love sheep country
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
I don't know if it matters but when I visited hinton in 2010 they didn't have a movie theater. I also found it hard to find entertainment after 8pm other than going to the bar and drinking.
Thats because its burnt down and they will be building a new one here anytime now. You must not like the outdoors if you cannot find entertainment after 8pm
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear00 View Post
Thats because its burnt down and they will be building a new one here anytime now. You must not like the outdoors if you cannot find entertainment after 8pm
Are the girls still performing classical dancing at the hotel on the west end of town?

The old Hinton Hotel that burnt down a few years ago used to be great place for entertainment after 8 pm.

I thought Edson had baseball all tied up or is that slowpitch that Edson is noted for.?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Gunslinger, if you don't mind being 10 or 15 minutes out of town, I would look at the Brule area. Beautiful country on the edge of Jasper National Park. It's a bit windy there, but you won't smell the pulp mill that often. It's a small hamlet, with some outlying acerages, right at the base of the mountains. However, the hunting in 439 is really poor, so you may want to hunt somewhere else.
I grew up in Edson and lived in Hinton for 3 years before moving north; I would rather live in Hinton. You do get use to the smell. As Big Bull said; have a look at Brule.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

Default wind

How is the in Brule and in town?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I grew up in Edson and lived in Hinton for 3 years before moving north; I would rather live in Hinton. You do get use to the smell. As Big Bull said; have a look at Brule.

Good luck.
On a quiet night you can hear the banjo's up in the hills.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
On a quiet night you can hear the banjo's up in the hills.
Lived in Edson for three years. Been outta there for three years now. I can't imagine a more backwards bunch of folk anywhere in Alberta. Was like living in the twilight zone. Taxes were more than Hinton and we couldn't even get an ultrasound in Edson when my exwife was pregnant and had to get the ultrasounds in Hinton.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM

If you got an extra million or so kicking around you should think of Jasper!
Some of the benefits are:
1)You get to drive for an hour when you want to shot your gun. Great for working up loads!
2) Get to buy an extra fishing license to fish in the park.
3) You can go for a nice walk in town and get in a ''fight for your life'' scrape with a cow elk
4) $550,000 gets you a nice lot where you can knock down the house and build one of your dreams!
5) Nowhere to store your RV and lots of nice interactions with Town Bylaw over it being parked on the street.
6) Nowhere to hang an animal when the weather is warm.

I can continue!!