Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Default hunting over beagles in alberta

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alber...86431408218080

This is a facebook page that allows guys who hunt with beagles to share picture, stories, etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM

If anyone is interested, the beagle hunting community is very open to taking
Out hunters
Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidde View Post
If anyone is interested, the beagle hunting community is very open to taking
Out hunters
Im interested.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Like the page and we will see what the future brings for us
Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 AM

Love the pics! Too bad the snow is so deep this year and the weather so cold. Has been a miserable season for the Hounds.

BTW you might want to keep pics of your Garmins in action to yourself until June or July.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Smile Thanks for the video

I don't have a beagle now but a long time ago near Lanark Ont. in a Xmas tree farm a 17 year old boy shoot 22 rabbits with his .22 single shot Cooey in front of a very good hound dog!

How can you not love that sound?

BTW I was able to take my dogs for a walk yesterday in the nice weather and we didn't see one rabbit track, I live near Stettler, is there a reason why?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I don't have a beagle now but a long time ago near Lanark Ont. in a Xmas tree farm a 17 year old boy shoot 22 rabbits with his .22 single shot Cooey in front of a very good hound dog!

How can you not love that sound?

BTW I was able to take my dogs for a walk yesterday in the nice weather and we didn't see one rabbit track, I live near Stettler, is there a reason why?
You will find the rabbits in the coulees in the prairie. They like bush and shrub for cover and they need young tree shoots (usually willow or similar) for food. Were you in habitat like that?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Default No I wasn't

Near Calgary where I used to live, we had them everywhere, but where I was yesterday, an oil road, there was cover but no trees that they could eat.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM

The rabbits in Calgary, Edmonton and other urban areas of this province tend to be Jack Rabbits (actually a hare). The ones that you will find else where tend to be Snowshoe hares. Snowshoes really like swampy areas, but creeksides and coulees will do. You can find them in dense bush in more sparse numbers.

Stettler seems a candidate for both types. Jack rabbits like cover next to open areas, with the same general winter feed as a Snowshoe (willows/shrub shoots). However, I have found that once you leave Edmonton and Calgary Jack Rabbit populations plummet. Either coyotes clean them up, or they just spread out...not so sure because I have Zero chance of getting them with the hounds, so I don't bother.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Love it!

Been many years but I grew up hunting Hares over beagle crosses in St. John's Nl..Great sport..Just west of Mountain Aire Lodge towards Yaha Tindy, I was Hunting Deer one eve and i watched about 6 of these Fat Bunnies chasing each other around..Wished I had my 12 ga...

Tags
alberta, beagles, hounds, hunting dog, snowshoe hare