Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM

Default Public land hunting?

I am looking to figure out where there is public land with in a couple hours of lethbridge Alberta to hunt mule deer? I had a private land area I could hunt in years past which now got sold and they no longer allow hunting! I am just looking for a general area I could go to or possibly on some private land if there is anyone that is interested!Thank you.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solterra View Post
I am looking to figure out where there is public land with in a couple hours of lethbridge Alberta to hunt mule deer? I had a private land area I could hunt in years past which now got sold and they no longer allow hunting! I am just looking for a general area I could go to or possibly on some private land if there is anyone that is interested!Thank you.
Porucpine Hills WMU 305 has a few mule deer. this is on a draw of course so you can not buy a general tag.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM

You can check with Maptown, or the county offices in the area, for landowner maps that will show which land is privately owned and which is public.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM

WMUs 400 and 402 also have a lot of crown land, but is also all on draw for mulies.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM

The closest zone to lethbridge for an OTC rifle mule deer hunt Is WMU 412. It is just north of Canmore. It is hard hunting but if you stick to it, you'll be able to get a buck.

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Porucpine Hills WMU 305 has a few mule deer. this is on a draw of course so you can not buy a general tag.
x 2. I would suggest putting a bit of time in and talk to some landowners. A few years back a friend drew for 305 and we went down a few weeks before season and talked to a few of the farmers. Most were decent and at the very least were polite if the wouldnt let us go. There was one older gentleman who was gerat, told us wher ethe mulies were and where the whitey's were at. Let us know which sections were his and even called his neighbour and let them know where we'd be and asked him if we could cross over into his land. We ended up with a lot of good land and a good buck in the end and all it took was a knock on the door and a half hour of friendly conversation with a good guy. Also, try the Hutterite Colonies. Have been given permission on a few colonies west and south of Lethbridge.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM

I found this site to be helpful. It will provide the name and contact of the leased land current owner.

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access

Tags
mule deer, public land, southern alberta