Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Default Damascus barrel shotgun.

So here's another thread about whether you can shoot modern shells in a Damascus barrel, the twist is, it's a Remington.

I'm pretty sure it's a model 1889, external hammers, serial number 74405.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:35 PM

No
Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Yes... Assuming you want the barrell to blow up in your face...
Old 07-20-2014, 04:55 PM

I get really tired of seeing these kinds of of truly dumb questions. You know, or aught to, already know the answer if you are buying these kinds of guns.

Do whatever you like, there will be lots of "Internet" experts who will be happy to agree with you. Remember though, they are not the ones on the end of the gun when it blows.

Even with low pressure or black powder loads there is no easy way to tell if a Damascus steel barrel is still shootable. Expert inspection by a well qualified practitioner and a proper proofing should come before shooting any gun of this type from the shoulder.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I get really tired of seeing these kinds of of truly dumb questions. You know, or aught to, already know the answer if you are buying these kinds of guns.

Do whatever you like, there will be lots of "Internet" experts who will be happy to agree with you. Remember though, they are not the ones on the end of the gun when it blows.

Even with low pressure or black powder loads there is no easy way to tell if a Damascus steel barrel is still shootable. Expert inspection by a well qualified practitioner and a proper proofing should come before shooting any gun of this type from the shoulder.
1) That is a little harsh.

2) If you have been paying attention, a lot of posts on AO are of the same variety.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Ease up guys. Given the age, chambers are probably too short for modern shells as well. Clean it up and hang it over the fireplace.

Grizz
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
So here's another thread about whether you can shoot modern shells in a Damascus barrel, the twist is, it's a Remington.

I'm pretty sure it's a model 1889, external hammers, serial number 74405.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Unless a gun is proofed for modern high pressure smokeless loads I would stay away from them- Damascus steel or drawn steel , it doesn't matter .
There dare low pressure smokeless loads available for Damascus guns but get it checked through first if you do not know what to look for.
Cat
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful and polite replies. I should have worded my question a little better. I understand that many Damascus barrels are unsafe, I even understand why.

I was under the impression, however, that many Damascus, fluid steel, twist, etc barrels were made by manufacturers of lesser quality. I was really interested in whether a Remington shotgun would have the same issues as a Belgian gun of the same type.

If the barrels are, as stAted above, unsafe, is loading black powder shells for it an option?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Thanks for all of the helpful and polite replies. I should have worded my question a little better. I understand that many Damascus barrels are unsafe, I even understand why.

I was under the impression, however, that many Damascus, fluid steel, twist, etc barrels were made by manufacturers of lesser quality. I was really interested in whether a Remington shotgun would have the same issues as a Belgian gun of the same type.

If the barrels are, as stAted above, unsafe, is loading black powder shells for it an option?

Thanks
Loading black powder cartridges is always an option and the Remington were well made guns BTW, I've owned several.
For a statement to be mad e that Damascus barrelled guns should not be shot because they "will blow up" is far too broad , there are far more factors involved with older guns than simply the barrel type.
Read this and PM me.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=187787
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=146411
Cat
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM

Default damascus

Sure glad that the whole world runs when I bring out the damascus barreled shotguns. Makes more cheap opportunities for me to buy them!
This blanket statement that everybody has about them blowing up in my face, is getting really old.
Would I load 3 1/2" shells into an old damascus gun....NO! I would probably leave the Prairie Storm at home as well. But, many damascus guns have been, or can be proofed for modern nitro loads. Not to say that just ANY gun should be tried. Take it to a gunsmith who knows something about them! Check for pitting in the bores. If there is any doubt, due to obvious signs of wear, then yes I would avoid using those barrels.
This blanket statement to avoid using damascus is unfounded. I own a handfull of them and shoot them. Some of them show minor signs of pitting from the corrosive blackpowder , and therefore, I resign myself to using low-pressure blackpowder loads in them. Some are in fantastic condition, and I use a low-pressure nitro load in them
A gun is a tool and I am determined to use them as such! It has to be extremely rough before it is deemed a wall-hanger!!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Ease up guys. Given the age, chambers are probably too short for modern shells as well. Clean it up and hang it over the fireplace.

Grizz
They make 2 " and 2 1/2" ammo these days, in smokeless and black powder.
Cat
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
They make 2 " and 2 1/2" ammo these days, in smokeless and black powder.
Cat
My thoughts are, if you're a handloader, you can shoot just anything.

Grizz