Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Default Elk Reg changes

The only change I would like to see made is the Suffield elk 'cull' draw be made available so as not to interfere with other elk draws. I personally would apply for an either sex draw there and not be interfering with my other elk draw. It would me great if as a previous post suggested try to get the youth involved and since they have so many seasons there already they could easily make one a youth season. I am sure there must be some very capable instructors on the base that cold assist in regards to shooting instruction as well. Outddorfanatic, the elk may be moving when you do not expect them to move. Everyone thinks they go out late at night and are in bed before the sun comes up don't understand them very well. Elk are a large animal and they require a fair amount of good grazing. They also require water everyday. That said, if there isn't snow on the ground they need to find open water. That would be open creeks or ponds etc. I find they seem to move thru my area a lot later than I expected originally. Pressure from hunters and roads is high within the first hour of daylight, then everybody is gone home for coffee and breakfast. That's when I like to be out is about 9am in November as that's when they move from bush areas to bush areas to bedding areas. I have watched them hole up in small patches of timber for 15 minutes to an hour before that lead cow determines its safe to cross to another. Remember it's the lead cow you're hunting. If you want to keep elk in your area encourage the neighbours to not shoot her. She will lead that herd for a lot of years in and around a given area for quite some time. Wolves will change that pattern. IMO..