Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM

Default Evinrude Outboard Spark Plug

Hey guys,

Having trouble getting my 1993 Evinrude 30HP tiller going. I figured I would switch the plugs and clean the carb and see if that works. After pulling the plugs, i noticed my motor is running "BZ7HS" spark plugs. A little research online shows that my motor should be running "QL77JC4". Should i stick with what was in it, or use the ones that the manual suggests. I bought the motor last year and it ran fine all year with the plugs that were in it, issue being it is difficult to track down bz7hs spark plugs, although i can have them in a week from amazon. The recommended plugs are easy to track down locally and I would like to try them? Safe to do so...? dont want to add more variables to my non starting issue. Curious to why different plugs are in it to begin with... Suggestions.......

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Default same sparkplug, different brand

The NGK BZ7HS10 is an approved alternate for the Champion QL77JC4 spark plug. Unless you have a brand preference, get whichever is easiest to source.
https://www.sparkplug-crossreference...NGK_PN/BZ7HS10

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM

Thank you!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Remember to disconnect the fuel line and run the gas out of motor till it stalls out, last use of season. Little spray of Sea Foam in carb, and pull plugs and spray in each cylinder, pull cord a couple times, install plugs. Easy winterizing, should start right up next season.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Remember to disconnect the fuel line and run the gas out of motor till it stalls out, last use of season. Little spray of Sea Foam in carb, and pull plugs and spray in each cylinder, pull cord a couple times, install plugs. Easy winterizing, should start right up next season.
You might not want to spray sea foam into the spark plug holes, which is what I am understanding you to be saying, for winterizing. Sea foam dissolves oil and varnish deposits.

You might wash out all the 2 stroke oil from the cylinder walls, main bearings and wrist pins by doing this.

You MIGHT want to spray some engine storage oil (NOT WD 40) into the carb intake while it is running until the engine stalls. 2 strokes lubricate from the crank case, so the only way to lube the mains and the crankshaft, etc, is through the carbs. That way there is some heavy storage oil on the main bearings, wrist pins, cylinder walls, which sea foam is not.

I used to use storage spray religiously on my small engines and skipped the step on a Jiffy power auger.

Last December I had a stuck piston on the auger and had to pour in penetrating oil and gently tap on the piston through the spark plug hole with a punch to un seize the frozen piston while pulling on the recoil started. It worked and the auger started, but lesson learned, AGAIN.

Drewski