Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Why does a pontoon boat cost so much money,

I bought a pretty basic pontoon 5 years ago, 21 feet with a 90HP motor nothing fancy, at the time I thought the 26,000$ I paid for it was a bit steep but that was the going price. Long story short, got sick of the drive to Mara lake sold her and stopped going to Mara. Well wife finds a place she likes on gull lake and she buys it. Okay lets get a boat, SAME BOAT is now 38,000 to 40,000.

The thing is literally 2 aluminum pontoons with a 5/8th pressure treated deck, some benches screwed to it, and a motor attached to the transom.

How did they jump up $14,000 in under 5 years.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM

My guess would be foreign exchange, boat is probably made in the USA and our dollar has tanked
Old 05-20-2019, 08:43 PM

Exchange rate, tariffs, and a booming USA economy.

The boat and RV market in Canada is really getting hit hard by those factors.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Well wife finds a place she likes on gull lake and she buys it.

Kinda says it all, no?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 PM

I've wondered the same thing about Caterhams. Basic design hasn't changed in 60 years and the things are $60k. I haven't come up with an answer, other than they can charge what they are and people still buy them.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
Well wife finds a place she likes on gull lake and she buys it.

Kinda says it all, no?
No doubt. First world problems. Buy some alum. Build pontoons and slap some 5/8" decking on.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Exchange rate, tariffs, and a booming USA economy.

The boat and RV market in Canada is really getting hit hard by those factors.
Booming USA economy? hahahahahahaha
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 PM

Have been wondering why boats have gotten so expensive for a couple years now. Troubling to me is dealerships don't seem willing to deal at all either. Have gotten a couple of quotes and I've tried to negotiate down what i feel is a reasonable 10% or so and not even a reply, counter price, nothing.

Part of the problem is these longer term loans I believe. Why sell to a bargain hunter when you can wait and sell to someone who feels the monthly payment is reasonable even if it is over 12 years.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM

IMO if you need 12 years then you shouldn’t be buying the boat let alone any other toy.

The banks and govt want you to be so far in debt

Sorry for getting off topic.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Part of the problem is these longer term loans I believe. Why sell to a bargain hunter when you can wait and sell to someone who feels the monthly payment is reasonable even if it is over 12 years.
Are they seriously doing 144 month payment plans now or are you exaggerating to make a point? I thought for vehicles they were "only" up to 96 months.

edit: I just looked this up, apparently Pro Bass does indeed offer a 144 month payment plan. That is beyond crazy! Definitely with Ice Fishing regarding his comment.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
It amuses me how there are two are three people on this forum who always contest this fact.

"Credit a strong U.S. economy featuring low unemployment, rising wages and low gas prices", “The economy is just so strong right now and by all historic precedent the incumbent should run away with it,” said Donald Luskin, chief investment officer of TrendMacrolytics, "Yale economist Ray Fair, who pioneered this kind of modeling, also shows Trump winning by a fair margin in 2020 based on the economy",

Link

Sounds like it's a bust alright.

Or are you judging the last several years based on the last two weeks? I wouldn't think most would judge something like the economy over a period of two weeks...
Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Seriously?

Take a drive anywhere through ND, SD, MN or WI, the heart of fishing boat country, and believe me, the joke will 100% be on you. Went to AZ this spring and the same deal there.

Boat and RV sales are very strong, wait times can be 4-6 months for a lot of brands and models, some you’re ordering for 2020.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Because people are willing to pay it.......build one.
Red neck yacht

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM

The sky is the limit on pontoon boats these days.
I just picked up this one for the boss lady last week (her boat, not mine).
350 hp Verado.
A little over $150,000

Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
The sky is the limit on pontoon boats these days.
I just picked up this one for the boss lady last week (her boat, not mine).
350 hp Verado.
A little over $150,000

Bring her down to Gull, amd we can go for a cruise. I've seen em in the US with twin 200HP motors, and they get bigger too.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Why not buy used? Most aren’t romping the heck out of their pontoon boats anyhow, and even if they do need repair, long as the aluminum pontoons, outboard and overall structure is fine, there’s not much to them. Might need some minor seat repair or a few stains in the carpet. Big deal.

Maybe I don’t get the appeal of having the best boat on the dock, but when it comes to pontoons, I’m not sure how much more personal value I’d get out of a $28,000 lightly used pontoon boat versus the $150,000 one posted above me. Beer tastes the same while floating on either.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Its totally driven by a finance bubble. There is plenty of talk about lofty auto loans in the US right now. Same thing with boats and RV's. Job rates are fairly steady so everyone feels good about signing long term debt obligations for toys. You'll notice the big manufacturers are pulling in the reigns and announcing big layoffs (See GM and Ford) even though they are making money. They know the writing is on the wall for a big pull back. Financing has a way of pulling years of demand forward and driving up prices in the near term. The hangover is a real b**ch however. Housing bubble 2.0. Keep yer powder dry. Deals will come.

Last edited by The Elkster; 05-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Why not buy used? Most aren’t romping the heck out of their pontoon boats anyhow, and even if they do need repair, long as the aluminum pontoons, outboard and overall structure is fine, there’s not much to them. Might need some minor seat repair or a few stains in the carpet. Big deal.

Maybe I don’t get the appeal of having the best boat on the dock, but when it comes to pontoons, I’m not sure how much more personal value I’d get out of a $28,000 lightly used pontoon boat versus the $150,000 one posted above me. Beer tastes the same while floating on either.
I would buy used but there is not much out there. I am in no hurry, might buy a used fishing boat till the right thing at the right price comes along.