Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Willmore trail maps?

I am heading out to willmore area for a hike/scout. I think I am going to take off from Sulphur Gates rec area. I was interested to get over to the east side of the Smoky River. Any maps out there or suggestions on how to cross without swimming?

Thanks guys
Old 07-19-2019, 10:49 PM

https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/64...s-park-map.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 04:12 AM
Banned

To cross the river take some redbull “it gives you wings”.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 AM

I'm going next week for a scouting trip myself. Lots of the park I've never seen. Is there sheep throughout the whole park into BC or do they stick east of the smoky? Not asking for spots.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCinnamon005 View Post
I'm going next week for a scouting trip myself. Lots of the park I've never seen. Is there sheep throughout the whole park into BC or do they stick east of the smoky? Not asking for spots.
What do you guys mean by east of the Smokey ? Like east of Hwy 40 ?

The Smokey flows generally east through Wilmore, you can either hunt the north side of it, or the south side of it.

If the OP is planning to cross at Clark’s crossing you either need a raft or you’re going to have to swim. You’re not walking across the Smokey.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

The Smokey flows generally east through Wilmore, you can either hunt the north side of it, or the south side of it.

If the OP is planning to cross at Clark’s crossing you either need a raft or you’re going to have to swim. You’re not walking across the Smokey.
From sulphur gates I was going to take the trail that runs along the smoky. I was looking to get to the other side without swimming haha. Where abouts is Clark’s crossing? Is it a bridge?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 AM

Error
Old 07-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
From sulphur gates I was going to take the trail that runs along the smoky. I was looking to get to the other side without swimming haha. Where abouts is Clark’s crossing? Is it a bridge?
The Smoky is likely to kill you, it's a big , fast , river, not a good idea. Even crossing with horse is sketchy. A bridge ?

Grizz
Old 07-20-2019, 09:05 AM

Default smokey

Many pack horses have not made it across the Smokey during high flood water times like now. A fellow hunter had one of his pack horses flip upside down feet in air until hit a island, got up snorted out water he commented "thats one we wont have to water tonight"
Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 AM

My buddy and I did a hike through the willmore a few weeks ago. The rivers are insanely high right now. We did 2 sketchy river crossings then got turned around at a 3rd. You could hear the rocks skipping down the river bottom as we stood there. Lots of debris drifting down the surface as well. It was an eye opener. We left from cowlick staging area down cowlick creek trail to mountain trail. Most of the trail was a flowing river uphill and downhill. Slow slogging to say the least
Old 07-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The Smoky is likely to kill you, it's a big , fast , river, not a good idea. Even crossing with horse is sketchy. A bridge ?

Grizz
Thanks for the helpful insight Grizz....

I am asking if there is a way to cross and no I have no plans on getting into the river at all. Just seeing if anyone has a suggestion.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I am asking if there is a way to cross and no I have no plans on getting into the river at all. Just seeing if anyone has a suggestion.
If you want to get to the south side of the river, you pretty well have to access from one of the other trail heads. No major river crossings from there, but a long hike.

Grizz
Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
If you want to get to the south side of the river, you pretty well have to access from one of the other trail heads. No major river crossings from there, but a long hike.

Grizz
Appreciate it.

I might have to extend my trip or rethink my plans.

cheers
Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 PM

We went on a goat hunt a few years back in the area you are thinking of. We didn't cross the river but met a guy on the trail with a single horse cart rigged up and carrying a boat down the trail.
Never spoke to the man but someone on here might know him! That being said it didn't look like a white water craft by any means which is something you may need right about now.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:08 PM

The Smokey River is a glacier fed river so it's bone chilling cold on the hottest days of the summer . You'll need a canoe or inflatable to cross it , or maybe a horse if it's shallow enough in the fall .
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Clark’s crossing is a days ride in from Sulphur gates. Before you cross the muddy there’s a trail to the south that goes to the Smokey. There’s an old cabin site there.
Like others have said you need a raft to cross.

There’s easier places to kill sheep in there, but if a fella was so inclined I doubt you would have any competition if you did cross to the south side. On a side note don’t expect much of a trail when you cross, I couldn’t find it.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 AM

Ya so I was interested in looking into the west of the Smokey up the Jack pine river towards Ptarmigan lake. A fella once told me there wasn't any sheep on the west side of the Willmore but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that. Not asking for spots I just don't wanna be chasing ghosts. Thanks for all the input everybody.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Ya so I was interested in looking into the west of the Smokey up the Jack pine river towards Ptarmigan lake. A fella once told me there wasn't any sheep on the west side of the Willmore but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that. Not asking for spots I just don't wanna be chasing ghosts. Thanks for all the input everybody.
Think Jack O'Connor hunted sheep on Sheep Creek, that's north of the Smoky. That access is further up the highway to GP or you can swing north from Clark's Crossing. Map I got from the Wilderness Association doesn't show a trail up the Jackpine River. Looked pretty ugly when we were there.

Grizz
Old 07-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Just went in on Friday with camp on my back from sulfergates. Hit the Eaton falls then on to the meadows saw a few bears and some wt deer. Just got back out a few minutes ago and into cell service. There's no way your crossing the river without a raft. She's fast,cold and deep. I'm still recouping from a herniated disk in my lower back so we didn't do any major hill climbs but it sure looked like good country to scout around...lots of mud this weekend on the trails.....
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Clark’s crossing is a days ride in from Sulphur gates. Before you cross the muddy there’s a trail to the south that goes to the Smokey. There’s an old cabin site there.
Like others have said you need a raft to cross.

There’s easier places to kill sheep in there, but if a fella was so inclined I doubt you would have any competition if you did cross to the south side. On a side note don’t expect much of a trail when you cross, I couldn’t find it.
Like you said Torkdiesel. I'm sure there is easier places to kill sheep however I'm not aware of them. Right now I'm trying to get away from the crowds. Willmore and cadomin are the only places I've ever chased sheep. So was just wondering if there's much sheep to chase on the west side of are they all on the east side of the park.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Like you said Torkdiesel. I'm sure there is easier places to kill sheep however I'm not aware of them. Right now I'm trying to get away from the crowds. Willmore and cadomin are the only places I've ever chased sheep. So was just wondering if there's much sheep to chase on the west side of are they all on the east side of the park.
I meant there’s easier places in Wilmore to kill a sheep then crossing the Smokey. There’s plenty of sheep on both sides of the Smokey, although we generally say the north side or south side of the Smokey like I mentioned earlier.
You’re not walking into where the river actually is flowing north, well not with camp or a sheep on your back anyway.

The trick to getting away from crowds is not going in at the most popular trail head in Wilmore, and not going in for opening day.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM

I've crossed the Smoky in the Wilmore on horseback, didn't want to do it then and sure as hell wouldn't want to do it again! Was 20 years younger then, and perhaps less wise at the time...
I've often thought that taking a raft in would give a guy pretty competition free access to some nice area.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:53 PM

Location: Half an hour west of Leduc, 10 minutes south of Genesee Power.

Quote:

The Smoky flows generally east through Wilmore, you can either hunt the north side of it, or the south side of it.

Not. Going upstream from Hell’s Gate, you head generally SW. At Clark’s Crossing you are now heading SSW At the confluence with the Jackpine it heads SSE and continues like that to the Jasper park border.

In aerial photos once you get S of the Jackpine confluence there are several places where the stream divides into multiple braided channels. I suspect that here you would be able to cross without too much problem.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Take a look at the islands NE of where hardscrabble creek runs into the river. Generally look for places where the river is in multiple channels. The greater the total width, the shallower and slower the water is.

I have not seen this area. I’m been looking to cross the other way to get to Ptarmigan Lake from Rock Lake trailhead. Use sense.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:

The Smoky flows generally east through Wilmore, you can either hunt the north side of it, or the south side of it.

Not. Going upstream from Hell’s Gate, you head generally SW. At Clark’s Crossing you are now heading SSW At the confluence with the Jackpine it heads SSE and continues like that to the Jasper park border.

In aerial photos once you get S of the Jackpine confluence there are several places where the stream divides into multiple braided channels. I suspect that here you would be able to cross without too much problem.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post

Read my comment again.....

The Smokey flows east out of Wilmore. Is it actually 21.45 degrees off due east towards North East ? Maybe but who cares.

As for walking across the Smokey where it’s braided ? You’ve obviously never stood on the banks looking at it in Wilmore. I’m sure at some point far enough South West you might be able to in a drought year, but nowhere you’re walking to from the staging area lol
It takes two good days on a horse just to get to Deveber, another 2 days south to where the river gets smaller.

Our point to the OP was forget crossing and forget looking at areas where it takes 3-4 days on a horse to get to, you can’t hunt those spots on foot effectively anyway
Old 03-14-2021, 06:25 PM

You’ve obviously never stood on the banks looking at it in Wilmore.

Not a river to take lightly.

Grizz
Old 03-14-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
Take a look at the islands NE of where hardscrabble creek runs into the river. Generally look for places where the river is in multiple channels. The greater the total width, the shallower and slower the water is.

I have not seen this area. I’m been looking to cross the other way to get to Ptarmigan Lake from Rock Lake trailhead. Use sense.
I’ve been as far as Hardscrabble and the Smokey is flowing fast , too fast to cross on foot when you get the far up.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:50 PM

I have rode across the smoky before the muddy water river several times. I don’t like to do it and I know exactly where to go. Further upstream I have walked across. You may not get back across if it rains.
Fast water scares me more than any grizzly ever did.