Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Was i correct in how I read your question about how accurate you have to be at 100yds?
Yes you are.
Thank you
Old 07-05-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripe View Post
Yes you are.
Thank you
Ok as a few of us tried to say.....its really not that imperative just try to be as consistent as possible..
Old 07-05-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yes you are.
Thank you
Ok as a few of us tried to say.....its really not that imperative just try to be as consistent as possible..

Just for giggles on your balistic app with scope set to zero at 100yds find a shooting solution for 104yds or 101yds. Then punch in 1k then 1001yds youll find the solutions are much tighter than youll actually be able to hold anyways. Sd and fundamentals will have much greater effect on hits than a 100yd zero thats actually 102yd zero....just my thoughts
Old 07-05-2022, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was asking about Ballistic Calculators & Field Results. I'm not here to troll anyone. Thank you all for your response.
If you had a 200 yards zero and an accurate velocity from a chronograph you will far more accurate results from a ballistic calculator
Old 07-05-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
How accurate must the 100 yard zero be to make hits out to 1000 yards?
You asked a very good fundamental question. I think many responders just got carried away thinking of complicated ballistic calculations.
The simple answer is that, using any centerfire cartridge which will retain decent trajectory at 1000 yards, a basic 100 yd zero, even close to the tolerances you asked about, will get you "on paper" at 1000 yds. If you consistently can shoot 1 MOA groups at 100, you should realistically be achieving first time hits within 3 MOA at 1000 depending on your ballistic program and the accuracy of the info entered.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:17 AM

Last weekend I went out to verify a new trigger install. 6 shots taken.

Dialed to 200 yrds, actually 220 yrds at our range. Nice 2 shots on paper, just where they need to be. Dialed out to 550 yds, again perfect 2 shots hits at gong, dialed to 907 yrds, perfect 2 shots hits on gong. My 3 min of range shooting was done. Good to go. Almost to easy.

Our range I'm sure is set up in meters, but I have always used yrds. Point is my zero is 109 yrds, and set in my ballistics calc as such, so I just range and dial to what ever it is out there that I'm trying to hit as long as everything is consistent.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You realise this makes no sense, right? If you are dead on at 100, aim for the 1000 yard target, you won't even be close. You either need to adjust the turret or have some kind of hold over system, and even then, cartridge, B.C.. velocity and wind all come into it. You can be dead on a 100 and if you get your dial up or wind hold wrong you are still going to hit sweet FA.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I said or I didn't explain myself very well.

OP asked this:

Quote:
How accurate must the 100 yard zero be to make hits out to 1000 yards? Is it plus or minus 1 yard, 1 foot, 6 inches? Where to I measure from? I have read from the end of the barrel and other have said from the turrets of the scope.
My point was, if you're NOT dead on at 100 yards, at longer distances the difference between where you're aiming and where the bullet will hit grows.

Assuming perfect conditions, if you're 1" off at 100 yards, that will be a lot more than 1" difference between point of aim and where the bullet hits at 1000 yards.

What I was saying is, you need to be bang on the mark at 100 yards.

Is that not so?!?!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 07-06-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

OP asked this:

My point was, if you're NOT dead on at 100 yards, at longer distances the difference between where you're aiming and where the bullet will hit grows.

Assuming perfect conditions, if you're 1" off at 100 yards, that will be a lot more than 1" difference between point of aim and where the bullet hits at 1000 yards.

Is that not so?!?!
Technically you need to be bang on at whatever distance your zeroed at. But zero wont change much from 97yds to 104yds which was more what op was asking. But yes you are correct if your off by 1" @100 it will extrapolate to 10"@1000 all things being absolutely perfect otherwise.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

OP asked this:

Is that not so?!?!
You are right I didn't get the same thing as what you intended. You are absolutely correct that if you are out 1" at 100 u will be 10 times, at least, that much out at 1000. Problem as I see it is a ten mph wind will put you out WAY more than 10 inches at a 1000 yards, as will an ES of 100 fps, which isn't real uncommon. There is way more to hitting a target at even 500 yards than you POI/POA at 100.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:03 PM
Banned

You can nullify a bunch of spin drift if your zero is 1/2” to the left
Old 07-07-2022, 04:47 PM

When you take the Level 1 precision course with Rob Furlong They actually measure to the target with a tape from the turrets and that is entered into the ballistic program for your zero. For example my zero is 91.2m. when you are getting out there past the mile mark is does make a significant difference.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=fatboyz;4538556]When you take the Level 1 precision course with Rob Furlong They actually measure to the target with a tape from the turrets and that is entered into the ballistic program for your zero. For example my zero is 91.2m. when you are getting out there past the mile mark is does make a significant difference.[/QUOT

interesting .This is a brand new method to me and I really would like to know why they measure the distance to target from the turrets (above the magazine in most cases) rather than the muzzle.

What ballistic program do you use?
Old 07-07-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
When you take the Level 1 precision course with Rob Furlong They actually measure to the target with a tape from the turrets and that is entered into the ballistic program for your zero. For example my zero is 91.2m. when you are getting out there past the mile mark is does make a significant difference.
Interesting. Next time your out with that rifle you should shoot a 3shot group at your exact 91.2m then scooch forward a foot or two and shoot another 3shot at the same target then wiggle back 2-3ft and complete the group w 3 more and measure the vertical dispersion in your group. Im not poking fun i am genuinely interested, i have never heard of a shooter going to that extreme. And while i dont shoot 1m + myself i know a few guys who do and also follow quite a few ELR shooters on you tube ect....
Old 07-08-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are right I didn't get the same thing as what you intended. You are absolutely correct that if you are out 1" at 100 u will be 10 times, at least, that much out at 1000. Problem as I see it is a ten mph wind will put you out WAY more than 10 inches at a 1000 yards, as will an ES of 100 fps, which isn't real uncommon. There is way more to hitting a target at even 500 yards than you POI/POA at 100.
Most definitely! I won't take longer shots if there's any wind to speak of.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***