Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 11:26 AM

Default Ball Park Price for Colt 1911

Hello,

Contemplating selling my Colt 1911 Government (1991 Series 80). I know what I paid for it, but have have no idea what would be a fair ball park asking price. Purchased about 8 years ago and put less than 1000 rounds through it. Not looking for offers. If I decide to sell it, it will be in the buy and sell. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:53 AM

Is it stainless, or blued? Condition is everything with those, the round count isn't high, but that doesn't say anything about condition. Price could be anywhere from $500 to $1000, but to have any idea you need to describe condition, or post some pictures.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-04-2022, 12:06 PM

It is a blued. All stock. I would say condition is excellent. One small, very faint idiot scratch from disassembly. Other than that no other scratches, rust or pitting. I am the original owner. If $1000 is the high end I'll probably hold onto it. I'll try posting pics tonight.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:51 PM

I'm just going off prices currently, mostly stuff on CGN. An idiot scratch is a huge turnoff for 1911 guys. Even in excellent condition, I think you'd be hard pressed to get more then $1000, but you can always try. If it was a Gold Cup instead of a government model, you'd be well over that price, but a plain Jane 1911 isn't.

Just as a comparison, I recently picked up a Kimber Pro Carry II, with 4 mags, in excellent shape. It is a higher end 1911, and I got it for $900 (which was an excellent price for sure). I love my Colts, I have quite a few, and you do get extra for having the prancing pony on the side. But, there is a limit to what people will pay for one too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone