Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 07:05 PM

I purchased a Sako AV 300 win mag back in 1983 from Plainsman Sports in Lethbridge. I had fps plus do some bedding work way back when and then went to a fibreglass stock. I put a pile of lead down the pipe of that rifle over years and alot was bench shooting. I had the rifle Magna Ported in early 1990's and it definately made shooting the gun somewhat more pleasant. It certainly rattles the dust out of the rafters in the shooting sheds and probably loosens some of the screws on the sheet metal siding. Can't say I regret braking it.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:05 AM

I have only shot one long range target rifle with a brake that did not seem to be really obnoxious for muzzle blast, I think it eas a PTG break.
I took the barrel off anyway to shoot a different cartridge and the target shooting disciplines I follow do not allow them anyway.
I also would never consider hunting with a brake for several reasons .
Cat
Old 07-04-2022, 08:38 AM

Default muzzle brakes

I personally wouldn't have one on anything under a .50 BMG. Had one of the first and best Magna-Porting done at SIR Winnipeg now Cabela's. Larry Kelly the inventor where two slots were cut at 180 degrees the two more at the muzzle at 45 degrees. It was loud but tamed a Ruger 77 .338 I wrapped the ports with masking tape when hunting to keep out snow etc and it blew right off upon firing. Can't hear game coming when wearing earplugs.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:49 AM

The electronic muffs, you can actually hear better than with unaided ears. They actually amplify sound until you shoot. However, everyone near you needs to be wearing protection too, and I see that as the biggest drawback to brakes while hunting. Outside of the noise and hearing damage if unprotected, it is hard to see any real downside. That said, none of my hunting rifles have a brake on them when I am hunting. Even on the 375 and 416 I have never noticed the recoil when shooting at game.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I personally wouldn't have one on anything under a .50 BMG. Had one of the first and best Magna-Porting done at SIR Winnipeg now Cabela's. Larry Kelly the inventor where two slots were cut at 180 degrees the two more at the muzzle at 45 degrees. It was loud but tamed a Ruger 77 .338 I wrapped the ports with masking tape when hunting to keep out snow etc and it blew right off upon firing. Can't hear game coming when wearing earplugs.
Magna port and pro port was done by Magna -port Canada , Joe Undiks was the Canadian owner and was located next to SIR Winnipeg
Old 07-04-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The electronic muffs, you can actually hear better than with unaided ears. They actually amplify sound until you shoot. However, everyone near you needs to be wearing protection too, and I see that as the biggest drawback to brakes while hunting. Outside of the noise and hearing damage if unprotected, it is hard to see any real downside. That said, none of my hunting rifles have a brake on them when I am hunting. Even on the 375 and 416 I have never noticed the recoil when shooting at game.
That's what I wear when I am suspecting quick shots like pheasant/duck hunting or deer/elk. Even un braked rifles chip away at your hearing.

In the mountains I have my brake off and in my pocket with the ear plugs. If I have time to put on the brake I have time for the plugs.

I hunt solo so it's only me I am worried about.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:29 PM

I have a 28 nosler on a browning which is light. It comes with a screw in brake or a cap when you take off the brake. At the range or any target shooting I use the brake, for hunting I take it off, because I don’t like wearing hearing protection while hunting. One shot with a brake can permanently damage your ears. BTW check your zero after taking off the brake, mine stayed perfect.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
I have a 28 nosler on a browning which is light. It comes with a screw in brake or a cap when you take off the brake. At the range or any target shooting I use the brake, for hunting I take it off, because I don’t like wearing hearing protection while hunting. One shot with a brake can permanently damage your ears. BTW check your zero after taking off the brake, mine stayed perfect.
One un-braked shot can also permanently damage your hearing. I always thought a shot hear or there when hunting, unprotected, would be fine. But I won’t do it anymore.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Respectfully Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
You absolutely need a muzzle brake for certain applications. Try shooting 100 rounds at the range of something soft recoiling as 308. Your shoulder would be pretty sore.

I understand your logic for hunting applications. However shooting a heavier recoiling rifle can cause a flinch. Everyone on here talks about killing ethics. Those go out the window if your flinch is so bad you have no idea where your shooting. Ergo why muzzle brakes have a place in hunting applications as well. Just my .$02 c worth take it or leave it as you see fit.

Last edited by markg; 07-04-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:29 PM

Default Great suggestion and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I will be buying a pair soon for just such a purpose. Never thought of using electronic hearing protection hunting!!!

You sir may have just changed my life!!!

I was also thinking about adding something to this discussion. It (brake or no brake) also depends on were you hunt. If your in the boreal forrest of northern Alberta or in the Rocky's chances are your shots will be within a couple hundred yards so the type of rifle and cartridge you shoot will be different than if your shooting on the planes and prairies of southern Alberta trying to hit a Whitetail at 500 to 600 yards because thats about as close as you will ever get.

In the former case short action rifles with moderate recoil will perform well. In the later case you may need a larger magnum with higher recoil and velocity. The latter need a brake to shoot comfortably.

Last edited by markg; 07-04-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I understand your logic for hunting applications. However shooting a heavier recoiling rifle can cause a flinch. Everyone on here talks about killing ethics. Those go out the window if your flinch is so bad you have no idea where your shooting. Ergo why muzzle brakes have a place in hunting applications as well. Just my .$02 c worth take it or leave it as you see fit.

Why not just shoot a lesser recoiling cartridge?
Old 07-04-2022, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Why not just shoot a lesser recoiling cartridge?
Why sacrifice the performance for a little more noise?

A Suppressor would be the ultimate solution
But that’s not going to Happen anytime soon
Old 07-04-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Why sacrifice the performance for a little more noise?

A Suppressor would be the ultimate solution
But that’s not going to Happen anytime soon

How many actually require the performance to a degree that they can't shoot properly without a brake? Magnumitis short and sweet.

Sure lays waste to the 30-06 being capable of killing any animal walking in North America when a .338 am or 340 bee mag kills so much more efficiently I guess.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:11 PM

While i dont typically hunt with a brake i do have a few rifles with brakes..I always hunt with stealth pro28 electronic ear pro. I cannot stand muffs while hunting so the in ear types work best for me. I have had the stealth pros for 6-7 years now and they have been fantastic. Electronic muff are great but only for the range imo.

If you cannot manage the recoil and want to keep the rifle there are only a few option for recoil mitigation....a brake is usually the best option at reducing felt recoil.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
How many actually require the performance to a degree that they can't shoot properly without a brake? Magnumitis short and sweet.

Sure lays waste to the 30-06 being capable of killing any animal walking in North America when a .338 am or 340 bee mag kills so much more efficiently I guess.
You would shoot a 30/06 more accurately with a brake too

And yes a 338 magnum of any sort is far better than a 30/06 for any animal on the continent
Old 07-04-2022, 06:46 PM

Get a brake if you must. It really is no big deal if you follow these two admonitions. Be careful of your own hearing. Be even more careful and courteous of others who may be near you at the range or in the field. You can destroy someone’s hearing for good.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:36 PM

Default Been there and done that sady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Get a brake if you must. It really is no big deal if you follow these two admonitions. Be careful of your own hearing. Be even more careful and courteous of others who may be near you at the range or in the field. You can destroy someone’s hearing for good.
I have already been there and done that. I had an incident that has left me with permenant hearing loss. (my own stupidity). Shot a braked rifle in an area with walls, and the rifle only had a 20 inch barrel to boot. It was a absolutely horrible experience.

When ever I go to the range I inform everyone on the line that I have a braked rifle and I try and get as far away from people as I am able. If other guys on the line object I will wait till there done then do my shooting. Just seems like its the right thing to do.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I have already been there and done that. I had an incident that has left me with permenant hearing loss. (my own stupidity). Shot a braked rifle in an area with walls, and the rifle only had a 20 inch barrel to boot. It was a absolutely horrible experience.

When ever I go to the range I inform everyone on the line that I have a braked rifle and I try and get as far away from people as I am able. If other guys on the line object I will wait till there done then do my shooting. Just seems like its the right thing to do.
You make my point. We all do stupid stuff that has bad consequences; some, like yours, worse than others. Sorry to hear.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You would shoot a 30/06 more accurately with a brake too

And yes a 338 magnum of any sort is far better than a 30/06 for any animal on the continent

You just took away the biggest discussion points for the 30-06 then Mark. Along with the 7mmRM, 280, 308, 270, etc.being that all are pretty similar recoil wise. Thinking that group of cartridges and ones much lighter have taken lots of every species shootable in NA. Comfortably.

Doubt I'd shoot an 06 better than .7 moa with a brake which I do consistently with fairly light 7rm's now. Zero problems putting 20+ downrange at a time as well. I could shoot 100+ but my wallets not that fat.

My opinion only but design and fit of a rifle mean a lot more on the recoil side of things than anything else. Those attributes + a decent butt pad of course. And, as has been discussed ad nauseum here, shot placement is far more important than what you hit them with. If you can't hit a Volkswagen at 300 yds, chances are a 338 isn't going to put more game in your freezer. Then we can talk about the benefits of putting more than 3 rounds down the barrel per year as well.

Its no big secret why muzzle brakes have become fashionable the past 10-20 years. Guys are shooting more of the cannons now than prior. Going back to the 70's I just don't remember hunters I've been around using larger than 300wm's and those were pretty damn rare. Nowadays magnumitis is prevalent and along with that has come more users inabilities to shoot without a brake. Got to love guys that choose 300wsm, 338, and 28 Nosler their first rifles.

Last edited by 270person; 07-05-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My perspective is it’s not a range rifle or a rifle that you would sit behind and shoot all day so that being said leave it as is, a few rounds prior to hunting season to verify point of impact and then off ya go for a one or maybe two more shots for the season, never felt recoil while taking game but on the bench is a different story.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-05-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
You absolutely need a muzzle brake for certain applications. Try shooting 100 rounds at the range of something soft recoiling as 308. Your shoulder would be pretty sore..
I shoot 100 rounds out of a 308 on a regular basis and I do or prone. With a sling and iron sights .
Brakes are not allowed in formal sanctioned Fclass ,TR or Palma match shooting .
I don't shoot heavier recoiling rifles as a rule and have no need for big smokeless cartridges or brakes in my shooting, either in hunting or match shooting .
Those that shoot stuff like a lightweight 300, or .338's are welcome to them however.
Cat
Old 07-05-2022, 06:46 AM

I tried electronic muffs while hunting, and I hated them, especially in the wind, I do wear earplugs for waterfowl hunting, but that is an entirely different situation, as I am in an open field, and not listening for animals walking. I started hunting in 1972, used a 7mmremmag since 1980, and then 7mmstw since 1990, as well as other magnums including the 300wby, 300RUM, and 338x8mmremmag, and the 375H&H. I had hearing tests every two years at work, and in 2015, when I retired, my hearing tested normal for my age. My best three shot group ever, was fired with an unbraked 300RUM, and I shot sub 1/2moa with almost all of my big game rifles. I do shoot rifles in the 9lb range with scope best, and I do like more weight in the muzzle, and the McMillan BDL stock just feels perfect for me. I have shot several braked rifles, and I wear double hearing protection when shooting them, and I find the pressure wave when shooting a braked 50cal or even a braked 338Lapua or 340wby annoying. I have owned three rifles with brakes,a 7mmremmag, a 300wby, and a 6.5PRC, and I shot comparable groups with all three , with and without the brake. I don't go the range and shoot 50-100 rounds at a session with any of my larger magnums, even for load development, I stick to around 20-25 rounds at most at a session, and recoil isn't an issue.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
, I do wear earplugs for waterfowl hunting, but that is an entirely different situation, as I am in an open field, and not listening for animals walking.

Fess up. You wear the earplugs to minimize the chatter coming from a couple of feet over in the blind.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Lead Sled

Craig Boddington and lots of gun writers use a Lead Sled when shooting heavy recoiling rifles from a bench.
Boddington calls it a truly clever device.
Anyone use these?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:27 PM

If you want to seriously mess up your scope and or stock the lead sled is about the prefect way to do that. I am amazed Boddington would put a good rifle anywhere near one of those.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Craig Boddington and lots of gun writers use a Lead Sled when shooting heavy recoiling rifles from a bench.
Boddington calls it a truly clever device.
Anyone use these?
Not a great idea....in fact one of the most truly awful device ever created regardless of what Boddington calls it.. just do a quick search...you will fill your day reading the horror stories....i have seen them with my own eyes...
Old 07-05-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Not a great idea....in fact one of the most truly awful device ever created regardless of what Boddington calls it.. just do a quick search...you will fill your day reading the horror stories....i have seen them with my own eyes...
I have witnessed two stocks cracking while using a lead sled.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Boddington is editor at Guns and Ammo Magazine. He has written over 4000 published magazine articles.
Author of 25 books on hunting and shooting.
He has hunted extensively all over the world.
Served as a Colonel in the Marines in the Gulf War.
But what does he know?
Old 07-05-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Boddington is editor at Guns and Ammo Magazine. He has written over 4000 published magazine articles.
But what does he know?
Unfortunately being an author, and having hunted a lot, doesn't teach a person everything that there is to know about every firearms/shooting accessory.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
But what does he know?
Oh believe me i know very well who he is. I have read his numerous books as well as countless magazine articles he has authored and follow him on youtube. Doesnt mean he is right about the lead sled. But hey your welcome to use one....just dont come crying after it wrecks your stock or 1k scope...