Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 12:18 PM

Default Muzzle Brake or not?

Hi All,

I have a Sako AV .300 win mag I was gifted from
my grandfather. I took my first deer with it years ago but have not shot it much since after the scope needed to be repaired. Got a range membership and shot it a few times since to get it sighted in again and realized just how much it kicked.

Not exactly a big guy and it really packs a punch. Was reluctant to make any changes to it but decided to put on a proper recoil pad since all that was on there was the factory “plastic” end. Definitely helped take out the sting to shoot a little longer but still not exactly pleasant.

Thinking of putting on a muzzle break. On one hand I know I’d shoot it more and better - pretty sure in flinching but on the other hand I feel like I’m changing the gun a lot more by doing that and in some way ruining the classic/sentimentality of it.

I know it will be louder, more annoying for others at the range etc. so not looking for opinions on that. Really more curious on if this a major no no to consider for an older, more classic gun and I should just leave as is.

The alternative is to get another gun in a smaller caliber which I could use anyways and will at some point. But also hate to just have this gun sit in the safe. I want to put it to use.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by roper1; 07-05-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:25 PM

You could try a clamp on style of brake.
That way your not changing the gun as it hold sentiment value to you.

Or a shoulder pad on at the range as well.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:46 PM
Banned

Yes put a brake on it
Newer designed ones aren’t that bad for noise
They definitely make a difference for recoil
Old 07-03-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Yes put a brake on it
Newer designed ones aren’t that bad for noise
They definitely make a difference for recoil
What brand of brake would you recommend Mark?I would value your opinion.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:11 PM

Default Brake

Witt machine clamp on works well
Old 07-03-2022, 02:24 PM

These might help. No matter which brake you get. ALWAYS wear ear protection. Even the quietest are loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss from even one shot. The quieter they are the less recoil they abate, can't fight physics. See the chart in the second thread. The higher the loudness rating the quieter it is, but also shows how much the recoil reduction goes down. The highest quiet rating has the lowest recoil reduction rating.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...light=Kahntrol

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=weatherby

Last edited by Dean2; 07-03-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:26 PM

I would never in this lifetime or any other put a brake on a hunting rifle.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
What brand of brake would you recommend Mark?I would value your opinion.
I have had good luck the ones from insite arms in lloydminster
They manufacture their own called the heathen
Old 07-03-2022, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I dont think I have one without a brake lol
Even my little 6gt has one
Thats going to be my ibex slayer
Never lose your sight picture
Will be critical to spot impacts when no one else can speak the same language
Old 07-03-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Curious why not? If it’s removable you could certainly avoid taking it into the field if you really wanted. So why never? What is it that makes using one on your hunting rifle different than one for target shooting?

Old 07-03-2022, 03:37 PM

I also have 300wm and shoot 210’s, it recoils significantly more with out the break installed. I had the barrel threaded and a thread cap so I can remove it when ever I wanted to have the best of both worlds. You can also increase weight of the rifle to cut recoil, that physic thing always gets ya with feather light rifles and recoil. install one you won’t regret it they make rifles far more enjoyable to shoot I put one on a 223 as well any everyone that’s used it loves it.

Last edited by Dubious; 07-03-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:50 PM

If you need recoil relief don’t add objects that in and of themselves cause pain. Reduce the powder column.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
If you need recoil relief don’t add objects that in and of themselves cause pain. Reduce the powder column.

Still doesn’t t help me understand why you wouldn’t add it to a hunting rifle. Sure using smaller grains, adding weight etc. help but specifically doesn’t give me any additional perspective on why you have that opinion or perspective when it comes to muzzle breaks.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:18 PM

There is no shame in admitting that a 300 win mag punches you too hard. I wouldn’t screw the gun up putting that on though. It will lower your resale value and make it harder to sell. I bet Grandpa wouldn’t mind you selling it and using the cash to buy something that is easier on you.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_charlie View Post
Curious why not? If it’s removable you could certainly avoid taking it into the field if you really wanted. So why never? What is it that makes using one on your hunting rifle different than one for target shooting?

I won't hunt with hearing protection, so a brake will never be an option for my hunting rifles. And a brake can change the point of impact, and the accuracy significantly, so it's not like you would just develop loads, sight in, and then take off the brake to hunt, without checking to see if it effects the accuracy, and the point of impact. My 6.5 PRC came with a brake, and before it went in the box where it is now, I tested the point of impact with and without the brake, and it was 3" at 100m.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Still doesn’t t help me understand why you wouldn’t add it to a hunting rifle. Sure using smaller grains, adding weight etc. help but specifically doesn’t give me any additional perspective on why you have that opinion or perspective when it comes to muzzle breaks.

Your hearing man.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I won't hunt with hearing protection, so a brake will never be an option for my hunting rifles. And a brake can change the point of impact, and the accuracy significantly, so it's not like you would just develop loads, sight in, and then take off the brake to hunt, without checking to see if it effects the accuracy, and the point of impact. My 6.5 PRC came with a brake, and before it went in the box where it is now, I tested the point of impact with and without the brake, and it was 3" at 100m.

Thanks that’s helpful. I usually do hunt with some hearing protection (custom compression earplugs)- or try to put it in if I have time. But I didn’t realize it could change the point of impact that much if I took of the muzzle break.

I wouldn’t sell it. $$ not necessarily the option - more just about using this one more given I have it. Some good thoughts on here to think about. I’ve been leaving towards not doing it. I don’t mind admitting it hurts just don’t enjoy it.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Your hearing man.

Thanks that makes sense. Since I usually have hearing protection in I didn’t make the connection.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Your hearing man.
And your buddies with you
Old 07-03-2022, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
99.9% of the population will shoot a rifle more accurately if they have ear plugs and if the rifle recoils less.
You really should try a different brake beside the cheapo one that comes in the box.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
99.9% of the population will shoot a rifle more accurately if they have ear plugs and if the rifle recoils less.
You really should try a different brake beside the cheapo one that comes in the box.
X2

Stop caring about the "value" or "historical significance" of the rifle. If you like the gun and need a muzzle brake, install one!!!!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:06 PM
Banned

This pos will make you go deaf and all your buddy’s go deaf too. It was a free one that came in the box like yours

This one you can shoot without ear plugs. Done it many times. As for your buddy’s hearing, well you can’t cure stupid. If someone wants to stand right beside the muzzle of your rifle, they are going to get an education real fast. If they are smart they could look right over your shoulder at watch the bullet and impact

Old 07-03-2022, 06:16 PM

As been said its not the recoil as much as the muzzle jump.I almost lost a big buck because he bolted at the shot, I lost the sight picture as the muzzle lifted. I did find him but he had ran a totally different direction than I than I thought. A Raven circling eventually led me to him.

That kill was with A 300 Weatherby,it now wears a brake. Shoots like a 243.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a Sako AV .300 win mag I was gifted from
my grandfather. I took my first deer with it years ago but have not shot it much since after the scope needed to be repaired. Got a range membership and shot it a few times since to get it sighted in again and realized just how much it kicked.

Not exactly a big guy and it really packs a punch. Was reluctant to make any changes to it but decided to put on a proper recoil pad since all that was on there was the factory “plastic” end. Definitely helped take out the sting to shoot a little longer but still not exactly pleasant.

Thinking of putting on a muzzle break. On one hand I know I’d shoot it more and better - pretty sure in flinching but on the other hand I feel like I’m changing the gun a lot more by doing that and in some way ruining the classic/sentimentality of it.

I know it will be louder, more annoying for others at the range etc. so not looking for opinions on that. Really more curious on if this a major no no to consider for an older, more classic gun and I should just leave as is.

The alternative is to get another gun in a smaller caliber which I could use anyways and will at some point. But also hate to just have this gun sit in the safe. I want to put it to use.

Thanks for your thoughts.

It’s your gun you can do whatever you want to it no matter what anyone else thinks. If putting a brake on let’s you enjoy shooting it then put one on. Life’s too short to worry what others think.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
The brake that came on my rifle was one of the higher priced, indexed brakes. The rifle is a Christensen Traverse. My groups were as small without the brake as with the brake.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
X2

Stop caring about the "value" or "historical significance" of the rifle. If you like the gun and need a muzzle brake, install one!!!!
No one is flinching at noise in the field. But even doubled up off the bench brakes can do irreparable harm. You can feel the noise they produce.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
As been said its not the recoil as much as the muzzle jump.I almost lost a big buck because he bolted at the shot, I lost the sight picture as the muzzle lifted. I did find him but he had ran a totally different direction than I than I thought. A Raven circling eventually led me to him.

Shoot with both eyes open.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I tried the factory brake that came with a vanguard high country in 300wby for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I spun it on after shooting about 20rnds in 200gr. Did not really notice any difference at all, was not impressed with it
Old 07-03-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Makes a guy wonder how any game was killed before muzzle brakes became fashionable.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
makes a guy wonder how any game was killed before muzzle brakes became fashionable.
😅😅😅