Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
not picking a fight here, but......if you are using your brass over and over in the same rifle, isn't it better to just resize the neck instead of working your whole case every time? i was throwing out a fair bit of 22-250 brass when full length resizing, and it seems to last longer since i started just resizing the neck. what say you guys who do lots of reloading?
The key to using FL dies is to only oaritialy full length size with them.
Brass lasts much longer ,you don't have some of the issues with neck sizing only, and you don't need to buy a body die .
Cat
Old 06-24-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Hey all!

As the title says, I am going to regret asking this as I need another expensive accumulation of things like I need a hole in the head!

Bob
You think it's expensive now, just wait until you start casting, paper patching, Making your own shot, and let's not forget loading for unusual a obsolete black powder cartridges that you REALLY have to load by hand!
Cat
Old 06-24-2022, 09:42 PM

The most labour saving device you can acquire for doing rifle is a case prep centre, such as the Lyman or RCBS, Lyman is cheaper at the moment, and add the Lee adaptor and trim cutter to it.

As others have said, get a basic FLS die and a seater, micrometer seaters are nicer, but, not necessary. For pistol, Lee are as good of dies as any.

Have a look at the progressive test Ultimate Reloader just did on YT, did 12 presses. Pay attention that longer cases like 30-06 don't work in most of them, they have cartridge size limitations, which ups the price as they get longer. So you may want a single stage for the rifle, and a progressive for the pistol, or even 2 of them for pistol and leave them set up for each. You can also search presses by brand and model and find good vids on them, you can pretty much do that with any tool.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You wine and dine them first huh?
Keeps them from running. Not that quick in rubber boots.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
So it begins, he wants to send you a pic of his stuff

Simple but effective lol
I figured it went so "hand in hand" with the SEXSTORTION thread, i couldnt resist my choice of words.....😅😅😅😅
Old 06-25-2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Hey all!

As the title says, I am going to regret asking this as I need another expensive accumulation of things like I need a hole in the head!

Seriously though... I am finding it a bit overwhelming trying to research on my own, so I figured I would ask you all here as you have always done a great job in helping me find ways to spend money somewhat wisely.

What does one realistically need to functionally get into reloading? Not looking for junk just because cheap recommendations, but at the same time not wanting to waste a bunch of money on something that is 0.01% better than something else that is half the cost.

Also, where does one learn to do this? Is it all just experience and wisdom passed down by elders or is there some good online in person class/resource that is worth investigating?

Cheers!

Bob
Think I warned you about the rabbit hole when you were buying your first rifle... The hole is deep (and expensive). Suggest you accept one of the offers from a nearby member to see the process. You don't need super expensive gear to turn out quality ammo...although 9mm gets pretty tedious on a single stage press!

There's some real satisfaction in shooting a good group or game animal with ammunition you built yourself.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:16 AM

Default Solid bench

Very solid level bench.
Proper height to allow you to be comfortable.
Good light
Space where you can be organized and not distracted.
Good functioning callipers
Primer pocket tools that are comfortable to use
A dental pick or two
I love my electronic scale ( let them warm up for 5 min then calibrate/check )
Hand primer device ( way speedier than using the press )
Watch YouTube find a mentor and develop your own system. I like to do everything in stages. Tumble if needed/resize/primer pockets/trim if needed chamfer deburr/ primers. I load funny though..I weigh every charge and then seat the bullet.
Add or delete stages as you see fit. I never leave any stage until it is done.
Only have one powder out at a time.
A decent note book for load data
Any and all of the manuals load Data you can find
A list of components that I need And PRICES in my phone helps when you think you have found a “deal”.

Reloading is a great hobby. You can sink a pile of $ into it or keep it relatively basic. You have enough info to get a good start. If you are ever in Edmonton I would be happy to show my little corner of the basement and go through things with you.

PM if you have any questions or get stumped.

If you find stuff you need up here let me know and we can try to work a plan o out to get it to you.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:25 AM

Gun Powder...
If you find some please write
Old 06-25-2022, 08:59 AM

Get primers and powder before buying anything else.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I figured it went so "hand in hand" with the SEXSTORTION thread, i couldnt resist my choice of words.....😅😅😅😅
Hahaha, you’re on point!! Make him pay in Varget!!!

Back to the subject here’s a couple threads, the last one, was one of the ones I was thinking about.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=Reloading

Last edited by Homesteader; 06-25-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:53 AM

I started to reload just over 40 years ago. I used a Lee single stage press for the first 30 years and it was all I really needed at the time. I was only loading 50 or 60 rounds a month and I was enjoying the loading process (relaxing - zen and the art of rolling your own bullets.

About 10 years ago I started shooting in one of the competitive shooting sports and started reloading 200 to 300 rounds a month. A bit much for a single stage press. I got myself a basic progressive press. I use the single stage for rifle and the progressive for handgun.

As for the brand name... you will find a lot of elitists who say you have to spend a politicians salary and get the best possible brand. Not true. A lot of my fellow shooters have done the same as me. Inexpensive does not equate to cheap. You don't have to drive a Ferrari to go to the store to buy a loaf of bread. Most of them also use the single stage for rifle and progressive for the handgun.

There are a lot of good videos on the basics of hand loading on Youtube and good books on the subject. I am more of a learn by observation and discussion type of guy so visiting a friend's setup and loading a few rounds with him was the best way for me. You don't have to get everything all at once. Start with the basic and you can add or upgrade as you see fit. For example: a tumbler... There are different types of tumblers - some of them just use corn or walnut chips and some use steel pins and everything in between. The only reason I tumbled them was so I could inspect them for any degradation or flaws. Some others want the casings to look factory new - each to his own. Some of the companies offer a basic reloading kit at very reasonable prices. Once you decide that you need this or that you can buy what you need and only what you need.

I better stop here before I end up with a book

You should like the activity but it does not end up being cheaper - it costs 1/3 the price for each round but you shoot 3 times the number of rounds.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 06-25-2022, 10:10 AM
AO Sponsor

Man, as usual this group is incredibly helpful! I have so much to digest and I thank you all, but a little extra thanks to huntinstuff for going through and taking a ton of pictures and emailing them to me with some solid descriptions etc. That had to take a long while and I truly appreciate it!

Again, all of you are amazing... Please keep any thoughts and opinions coming!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-25-2022, 10:47 AM

Thoughts and opinions. Ok.

You are slightly OCD, attracted to shiny things, are generally friendly and sometimes a complete ass, and your wife is incredibly patient.

How'd I do?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-25-2022, 10:49 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Thoughts and opinions. Ok.

You are slightly OCD, attracted to shiny things, are generally friendly and sometimes a complete ass, and your wife is incredibly patient.

How'd I do?
What can I say? You know me like a brother...

Edited for creepiness factor.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-25-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
What can I say? You know me like a brother...

Edited for creepiness factor.
Bwahahahahaaaa! Love it...

Remember... When you are dealing with someone willing to take it further than just about anyone else, you have to watch what you say... Or at the very least have editing privileges!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 06-25-2022, 11:31 AM

Default Reloading info sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
Hey Bob,

If you are talking centerfire rifle then check out "Panhandle Precision" on Youtube. He lays out reloading in a very easy to absorb manner and covers just about every aspect of precision reloading. As far as tooling, you will need the following:

-Press (Forster Co-Ax is highly regarded but also check out the MEC Marksmen or RCBS Rockchucker Supreme)
-Dies (There are many ways to skin a cat with die setups, but start out basic with a 2 piece die set ie. full length sizing die and seating die)
-Calipers (accuracy down to 0.001 will do)
-Scale (a simple balance beam from Lee or RCBS will be hard to beat for accuracy, though they are slower. I personally haven't had great luck with digital scales but if you want digital, grab an RCBS chargemaster and be done)

That would get you started, but there are a ton of extras that just start to make life easier. A powder throw if you dont go with the Chargemaster, a reloading block to keep things organized, a hand priming tool if your press doesnt have a priming function (I really like the Frankford Arsenal handheld), case trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, bullet puller, case tumbler, bullet comparator set, headspace gauge and probably most important of all a reloading manual and notebook.

I am sure I'm forgetting a thing or two but that is the bulk of it. Good luck and stay safe! If you find primers for a decent price, let us know!
Brett.
Along with Panhandle Precision, I would add Gavin Toobe to the conversation for reviews and info on different products . https://ultimatereloader.com/tag/gavintoobe/. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9q...76p7fFDwD6XY2A
Old 06-25-2022, 11:59 AM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.

Before you buy any gear, get the "Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook" and read it. Then read it again. Now you can consider what you want to invest in. But it sure is satisfying and a bunch of fun...for sure.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:12 PM

"get the "Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook" and read it"-----x2

Although, seeing as he runs a tire shop, nobody will ever see lead wheelweights around there ever again. And having casting equipt can be another rabbit hole in and of itself.

Reloading on its own can drain the pocketbook depending on how far you get into it,but, it really gets dangerous at gun shows and stores with old or off breed guns and cartridges, as it gives you the means to shoot them.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:50 PM

Exclamation Nobody has mentioned this yet

So I'll say it: unfortunately, reloading is not everyone's cup of tea. For some, the shiny can wear off fast when they are cranking out 20ish rounds/hour of high quality ammo on a single stage press. I know several people who came to this realization after investing in all the equipment; it wasn't an enjoyable hobby.
Now I suggest that anyone interested in reloading spend some time to reload a bunch of ammo before jumping in with both feet. It may be an eye opener.

There is lots of good advice already posted about equipment, so I will only add this: I've been using an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit for 35 years with great success; only needed to purchase a few other accessories that others have listed. My brother has the same for building rifle ammo, and he also has Dillon progressive that churns out 600+ rounds/hour of handgun ammo. He enjoys using both.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 06-25-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:15 PM

essentials would include a quality single stage press, a manual scale for measuring powders, a case trimmer, chamfering /deburring tool, appropriate dies,vernier caliper for length measuring, a manual, internet is good but a printed page is nicer for comparing loads and details I find, a mentor will speed the learning curve greatly try a local range /club for fellow reloaders. The biggest challenge will be to find components right now a valuable resource will be fellow reloaders for a novice reloader. Happy trails down the rabbit hole
Old 06-25-2022, 09:42 PM

Lee Precision Classic Lee Loader Caliber 6.5x55 ~$44bucks USD

This is the kit I started with 45+ years ago along with a Speer reloading manual, a wooden mallet, a pound of powder, and a couple hundred primers and a hundred projectiles, along with the factory mixed head stamp brass, I had saved for a few years prior. Not pretty but it works it will get your feet wet without breaking the bank.

Needless to say I now have thousands of dollars tied up in equipment but this set up showed me the advantages and the pleasure of reloading and harvesting game or shooting much smaller groups with a lovingly created hand loads of my very own.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:34 PM

no matter which press you purchase, do yourself a favor and mount the press on a very stout piece of 2x10 or 2x12 piece of plank about 16" long. you can then use 2 monster size C clamps to secure the press anywhere you want or take it to the range for load development. or go to a friend's place and teach or learn how to reload. somebody passed their wisdom to me and I am passing it along to others.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
So I'll say it: unfortunately, reloading is not everyone's cup of tea. For some, the shiny can wear off fast when they are cranking out 20ish rounds/hour of high quality ammo on a single stage press. I know several people who came to this realization after investing in all the equipment; it wasn't an enjoyable hobby.
Now I suggest that anyone interested in reloading spend some time to reload a bunch of ammo before jumping in with both feet. It may be an eye opener.

There is lots of good advice already posted about equipment, so I will only add this: I've been using an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit for 35 years with great success; only needed to purchase a few other accessories that others have listed. My brother has the same for building rifle ammo, and he also has Dillon progressive that churns out 600+ rounds/hour of handgun ammo. He enjoys using both.
Yes

I'm the same, Rockchucker kit I started with and a Dillon 550 for handgun .

Many will say dont buy the kits, I've used everything in them, went to expensive electronics and still use balance scales and manual measures for many loads. They work.

If you are planning on shooting lots of handgun then look at progressive. I started with single stage and very time consuming.

How much time do you have to reload? How much time do you want to spend reloading?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
no matter which press you purchase, do yourself a favor and mount the press on a very stout piece of 2x10 or 2x12 piece of plank about 16" long. you can then use 2 monster size C clamps to secure the press anywhere you want or take it to the range for load development. or go to a friend's place and teach or learn how to reload. somebody passed their wisdom to me and I am passing it along to others.
I have mine mounted like that and clamp my Rock Chucker in my bench vice in the garage or with C clamps when I go to the range as well .I have a bracket that i screw my powder measures to on the other end of the 2x4
Cat
Old 06-26-2022, 03:10 PM

I haven’t read the thread, but just wanted to say:
Write everything down. Do not entertain the lie “oh I’ll remember that later”
Old 06-26-2022, 05:57 PM

You need powder primers brass and bullets and it’s all tuff to find fight now. The actual reloading equipment is the least of your worries. After all that stuff a range membership or a nice piece of private land where you can really settle in and dig into the meat and potatoes of shooting is way under appreciated. Shooting off unstable junk like tailgate and piles of jackets off the 40 isn’t doing a guy any favours with load development.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:59 PM

Tirebob, sure components are hard to find. Goodwill is not. Many of us know you have a 30-06. One guy will have some primers he can spare. Another guy will have some powder. Another guy will have some brass. Another guy will have some projectiles. And lots of us will be happy to let you know as soon as we may see some of the above listed on other sites we frequent. Don’t let temporary circumstances keep you from a rewarding hobby. Seriously.

As for equipment, all of the major brands will make ammunition as good as the guy behind the trigger. In many respects, delineating between the big manufacturers is kind of a Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy kind of thing. Really, that’s the truth. Find a good sale on a decent kit. If you are missing something in the kit, you can fill in the gaps, but most come with everything you need to make ammo except dies and components.

Seeing you already know him, taking Elk11 up on his offer of spending an afternoon at his place, will see you loading incredibly accurate ammo in very short order.

For me, reloading was a peaceful escape that called me to focus on something other than whatever momentary stressors I may be facing. You know what I mean.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:36 PM

SNS 2 is very right, if you got ELK11 to teach you then your getting a lifetime of knowledge . Out of that group with you at the range hell you will learn more then most long time loaders in no time.

Reloading is a great hobby specially with long winters like the one we just had, plus if you find it's not your thing just resell the stuff ,but once you get into it you will enjoy it .

Cheers
JD
Old 06-26-2022, 09:38 PM

Bob, just give TC and SNS2 a blank check and they will drop off everything you will ever need. That way you don’t have to spend time researching, fretting, wondering, pining…………

I see nothing but positives with this scenario.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Bob, just give TC and SNS2 a blank check and they will drop off everything you will ever need. That way you don’t have to spend time researching, fretting, wondering, pining…………

I see nothing but positives with this scenario.
Indeed. This is inspired thinking!