Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 10:48 PM

Default Another one down, Acme gone offshore.

Was at my local tackle store and noticed that all the Little Cleo, and other ACME brand lures are now made in China.

Somehow they still cost more than Len Thompson's, made right here in Alberta, paying Alberta wages, in accordance with our labor and environmental laws. Gotta shop local boys, and make sure businesses like these stay open. Lord knows they are getting harder to find.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:37 AM

I’m with you bushleague, Len Thompson also makes the Northern king lures and sells true north products now.

I ordered a bunch and they shipped it to my door with a nice handwritten letter thanking me for supporting them! They also do a food bank run of lures to support the hungry. Hard to beat
Old 05-23-2022, 08:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Yup got mine in the mail the other day, supporting a good cause and a Albertan company too

If you ever get a change check them out on a road trip well worth it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-23-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti340 View Post
I’m with you bushleague, Len Thompson also makes the Northern king lures and sells true north products now.

I ordered a bunch and they shipped it to my door with a nice handwritten letter thanking me for supporting them! They also do a food bank run of lures to support the hungry. Hard to beat
Same as above...I place an order every spring.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:22 AM

I just noticed Len Thompson makes a bunch of their lures with single hooks. I'll have to place an order this season. I've held off and stuck with Gibbs because swapping out the trebles is a pain. It'll be good to support another Alberta company.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 AM

I always buy Len Thompsen when I can.

Their quality is unmatched, and I just seem to catch more than other brands.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I just noticed Len Thompson makes a bunch of their lures with single hooks. I'll have to place an order this season. I've held off and stuck with Gibbs because swapping out the trebles is a pain. It'll be good to support another Alberta company.
Gibbs has been made in China for years. At one point Len Thompson was affiliated witht them, when Gibbs made the move to China I Emailed Len Thompson and asked if they had plans to do the same. They told me that they had parted ways with Gibbs, and had no such plans.

To the best of my knowlege, about the only hardware type lures still being made in North America besides LT are as follows.

Williams and Mepps: their parent company, Brecks, is one of a very few corperations that doesnt want to move shop when they take something over.

Lucky Strike, I dont think all of their stuff is still made in Canada but alot of it is. I think if you want a Krock type spoon that isnt Chinese, these guys about your only option.

And Daredevil, which still remains a family owned company much like Len Thompson. I particularly like how these guys pay attention the the metal on the back side... you can get the same patterns with brass, chrome, or copper backs.

Its worth noting that in both price and quality Len Thompson compares pretty well with all of these products, as well as many of the brands that are now being produced in China. I just change the trebles out myself, or buy the Dimpled spoons which come with a single.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-23-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti340 View Post

On thing I've wondered, apparently LT has the ability to do a genuine silver finish on the Northen King lures, which I've never used. I do like this finish on Williams and Mepps products though... I wonder if LT could/ would do a silver finish on the Len Thompson spoons. Would be pricy but I'd likely still pick up a few.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:14 PM

Lots of smaller lure builders in Canada. Most won’t be found in local fishing stores because the profit margins are much smaller or too low