Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-03-2022, 07:08 PM

Default Have a p12 for Antler Mulie, looking for 190+,can pay outfitter fee.

private message me if you can help..thanks
Old 06-04-2022, 12:05 AM

I get that he’s looking for help. Isn’t that obvious?
But I’d like a little info before just throwing things out there. In my opinion, it’s a fair question. Something you don’t like about the question? Helps me understand the area they’re in or willing to travel to and where they’ve put their efforts thus far. Never know if a guy can save someone that kind of money AND help them have the success. If they’re just looking for outfitter recommendations then I think the title would be different.

I had a buck I wanted last fall on the wrong side of the fence. Missed out as my time became unexpectedly limited the year I drew my p6 then the lack of snow brought extra challenges. Had two options midday on the last day, made the wrong choice and moved when I should’ve stayed and could’ve lucked out on the buck I didn’t know was on the property I can hunt while I was there.
But I don’t just give that info and access up to any random online stranger.

I guess I’ll carry on my way. No reason to remain loitering here ...
Old 06-04-2022, 06:18 AM
Banned

Gonna get harder and harder to get places with the price of Gas. Good Mule deer Zones are atleast 8-9 hours away from Fort Mac. That's about 500-600 in gas round trip just from and A to B type drive, not scouting around while there. I expect more and more people will spend less and less time scouting and cell cameras becoming even more popular then what they already are.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:35 AM

The real question is what style of hunt how much do you want to pay and what type of terrain.

I dont think guys should point fingers and accuse people of not scouting implying laziness. In the last 12 years ALOT has changed with mule deer populations zone priorities back door mule deer culls from cwd with and high pressure from the over issue of draw tags. It’s also easy to hold onto your pri 10 when you don’t want to blow it on a pri 4 zone that 12 years ago was a pri 10 and has since have all motor vehicle traffic banned in most of the zone and now has a collapsed mule deer population.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
The real question is what style of hunt how much do you want to pay and what type of terrain.

I dont think guys should point fingers and accuse people of not scouting implying laziness. In the last 12 years ALOT has changed with mule deer populations zone priorities back door mule deer culls from cwd with and high pressure from the over issue of draw tags. It’s also easy to hold onto your pri 10 when you don’t want to blow it on a pri 4 zone that 12 years ago was a pri 10 and has since have all motor vehicle traffic banned in most of the zone and now has a collapsed mule deer population.
There is also the problem of genetics, I have noticed there is pockets of mule deer that lack the genetics allowing them to get over the 170 hump. Still nice looking deer but no genetic ability to reach the 190+ without selective harvesting.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:23 AM

Somehunter, I think 180+ is a big ask for a cold call average hunt it may even be tuff with an outfitter to get book minimum in this province if I had money to burn I would probably pay south of the boarder it looks like more book minimum deer come out of the us but that’s just me. There are lots of 130 deer in a lot of low pri 3-4 zones that are easily accessible on a cold call hunt.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:43 AM

i used to hunt the praires regularily and loved it. have 2 180+ on the wall and a mid 170, and put my father on a 190 that i watched him tip over. this was all from about 2005-2018. anymore though im holding my priority as its nothing like it was even not that long ago. 1 draw year i hunted very hard and never even scoped a deer. with the price of fuel, trying to find new areas is quite costly. im at a bit of a loss what to do for the future.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Somehunter, I think 180+ is a big ask for a cold call average hunt it may even be tuff with an outfitter to get book minimum in this province if I had money to burn I would probably pay south of the boarder it looks like more book minimum deer come out of the us but that’s just me. There are lots of 130 deer in a lot of low pri 3-4 zones that are easily accessible on a cold call hunt.
Couldn't agree more. Your bang on! It's a long shot to take a book deer on a cold call.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:39 AM

I hate to say it but it’s getting to the point with the trophy quality in Alberta and the price of fuel that if a guy is after 190+ mulies it may be cheaper and more efficient to look elsewhere in North America then Alberta.
Not to say there are not big mule deer in Alberta but our system is not set up for consistent monster mulies like some states
Old 06-04-2022, 10:13 AM

If you have the $$$$, i wouldn't hold against you considering how much has changed hunting in Alberta. Most outfitters are not interested in guiding residents from what i heard especially now that all the covid restrictions have been lifted.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:47 AM

CWD is playing a huge role in the demise of Mule Deer bucks, killing most of them before they can grow to their full potential.

22% of Mule deer bucks tested in 2021 had CWD.
This attrition rate simply will not allow bucks to get old.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-04-2022, 11:39 AM

PM incoming.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:00 PM

I was wondering if someone can explain to me that if CWD has reduced the herd numbers here in Alberta so bad why hasnt Sask been wiped out as much.I know that outfitters need to make a living but I like the fact the Sask mule deer hunting is for residents only.I have been carrying the camera around with the in laws during their hunts the last 20+ years and it seems like the genetics for bigger deer are better than Alberta but that is just an observation.Every season i have been with them we have seen 190 plus deer and thats in different zones.Im guessing there are alot of huge bucks on big private ranches down in southern Alberta that dont allow hunting and permission in good areas is hard to come by as well.But every year there are some giants taken so its really difficult to pinpoint the best zones to apply are.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:58 PM

In the prairie zone we have hunted for 30 years the quality of bucks has diminished greatly. CWD , more tags released , more hunting pressure maybe a few reasons . I never even got excited about any bucks I saw the last time I had a tag . My 2 sons last year hunted hard in the same zone and never saw anything of a larger horn . I didn’t see anything even in the 160 class . Actually talked to my boys about not bothering for a while in the prairies . Pretty disappointing in the area we hunt. Other zones maybe better ,good luck .
Old 06-04-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Agreed

I have 18 priority for trophy antelope. Some day I will meet someone who knows where to go and how to do it. I havent seen a pronghorn in years....
Old 06-05-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Agreed

I have 18 priority for trophy antelope. Some day I will meet someone who knows where to go and how to do it. I havent seen a pronghorn in years....
PM sent
Old 06-05-2022, 02:57 PM

Default Keep to the ops question

I cleaned up the thread, there will be no public soliciting of outfitters on here. If you have advise for the OP, pm him. If you don’t, then move along.

Last edited by leo; 06-05-2022 at 03:43 PM.