Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2022, 12:33 PM

Default Phoenix indoor gun range

I see they are shut down for renovations.
Can anyone tell me how deep the range is . Is it 25yards ?
Whats the biggest Cal rife you can shot?
Can a guy shot his own reloads in his riffle?
Old 02-26-2022, 01:25 PM

Longest bay is 40 yards. You can shoot most regular hunting rifles. If I remember right you are supposed to use factory ammo only, but since you are only shooting 40 yards you can't really test loads or do much more than get a scope set up. It does work good to function test rifles you are thinking of buying used, also good place to meet a seller to do the buy. I avoided buying a Browning that didn't function well by meeting the seller there and trying the gun before paying for it.

They do now have a German trained Master Gunsmith on staff. Have not used him so no idea what the work is like, but most trained that way a very good.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:36 PM

it has been closed for a few months now
their equipment dint work, getting some more and having problems, must hurt their bottom line
bought a rimfire there a couple months back and was a bit of a difficult transaction with the staff being a little condescending to me and 2 other customers who walked out
Old 02-26-2022, 01:39 PM

Maybe its just Carl down the street that is their gun smith . Lol
Old 02-26-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
it has been closed for a few months now
their equipment dint work, getting some more and having problems, must hurt their bottom line
bought a rimfire there a couple months back and was a bit of a difficult transaction with the staff being a little condescending to me and 2 other customers who walked out
Is it under new management/ownership? They used to be really friendly, didn't matter if you were a neophyte of very experienced they seemed to treat everyone well. That is not a business that will do good with arrogant staff.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:23 PM

I bought some rings there this summer and the service was great.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-26-2022, 07:24 PM

I was in there on Wednesday this past week. I picked up some slugs and G96. I’ve found the staff in the sales area to be pretty (for lack of a better word) “stupid” and condescending in years past. But I was impressed this past week. Very friendly and knowledgeable (it seemed). But I knew what I wanted, so I really didn’t need their help.

I see they are expanding to the building to the west. Nice! Their prices are cheaper then P&D for what I wanted. I’ve use the range many times in the past (when the weather sucked). Mostly for hand guns.

It will be nice when they’re fully operational and the expansion is completed.

So all in all…a 4.5 out of 5…..this week.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:32 PM

Its kind of funny . Last time I was in the store I meet the owner and he was just setting up the shop some 40 years ago Just building the steal back traps And I was shaking my head as to why he was doing it as there was like 6 out door range around Edmonton . But know we are down to 2 outdoor ranges ranges Lol !
And those you can't even get a member ship because they are full .
Any ways !
Do they sell a lot of different brand riffle scopes , buddy is looking for one .

Last edited by -JR-; 02-26-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:52 AM

They’re hoping to open the range in the next month or two. I just bought a
membership there since I would like to be more capable with hand guns. I figured I’d use an indoor range more the outdoor range I belonged to. The membership was at a discount and they will give me the same price discount next year, and then honour free time to compensate me buying the membership for x amount of days before they open it.

I believe they have new management, unsure of owners. But the new manager seems to be making it better then before. I used to not like going in there, some of the staff etc, and higher prices. But yes some things in there are cheaper then p and d which surprised me. They brought in more of a long range section since the restricted semi-autos can’t be sold. They have expanded to the west and they’re putting all the hunting rifles and scopes over there etc. Keeping the main store front long range, hand gun, tactical type weapons. It’s also convenient they’re open fairly late on weeknights, when the range is open that is.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Its kind of funny . Last time I was in the store I meet the owner and he was just setting up the shop some 40 years ago Just building the steal back traps And I was shaking my head as to why he was doing it as there was like 6 out door range around Edmonton . But know we are down to 2 outdoor ranges ranges Lol !
And those you can't even get a member ship because they are full .
Any ways !
Do they sell a lot of different brand riffle scopes , buddy is looking for one .
There are actually two outdoor ranges, within an hour of Edmonton, that I am a member of, and both are taking members.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are actually two outdoor ranges, within an hour of Edmonton, that I am a member of, and both are taking members.

Which are those elk? Sherwood Park and..? I think there might be 3. 4 if you drive fast
Old 02-28-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Which are those elk? Sherwood Park and..? I think there might be 3. 4 if you drive fast
I am a member of Sherwood Park and Camrose.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am a member of Sherwood Park and Camrose.

Figured that. There's 3 for sure within an hour of Edm but ones pretty basic. Throw in Wildwood at right around an hour drive too I guess so make it 4.

Nobody in their right mind lives in east Edm so there's def 2 within an hour west. 2 hours if you get your Subaru stuck.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:11 PM

another one at Genesee and one near Wabamun*Stony Plain Fish & Game
Old 05-17-2022, 02:27 AM

The open date keeps getting pushed back, then again.

I finally gave up, as they offered extra mints if you renewed. Extra mints mean nothing if you have no access.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:32 PM

For what it's worth. Spoke with Phoenix yesterday and they said reopening August, but when in August....???