Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-06-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It happens because there are no shortage of dickwads that derail great posts, then troll the crap out of their posts trying to get people to rise to their baiting. I get REALLY tired of people that ask for help only to then totally disrespect the input they get. I have so far resisted their trolling but it is REALLY hard not to tell them to GFY, which loosely translated means, good for you, wink, wink.
Don’t be so bitter!
It is unhealthy!
Old 07-06-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Fancy ear muffs too
Hey i have a set of those....they are pretty good
Old 07-06-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Don’t be so bitter!
It is unhealthy!
You could not have made my point more succinctly and clearly if you had tried to. 👌
Old 07-06-2022, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Hey i have a set of those....they are pretty good
Me too, they work great
Old 07-06-2022, 06:42 PM

Never
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-06-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Those two "sleds" improve on the fundamental issue with why the lead sled breaks stocks and scopes. I like them..

Top pic example looks horrible to me. There's a 1/4" thick piece of steel between his shoulder and the butt of the stock. How is that anything close to natural and how is that contraption much different from a lead sled? Stock is still slamming back against steel instead of pushing his shoulder backwards. Looks like a Caldwell Rock welded to or sitting on 3 pin supports where the large screws used to be, and a Protektor rear bag.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-06-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Top pic example looks horrible to me. There's a 1/4" thick piece of steel between his shoulder and the butt of the stock. How is that anything close to natural and how is that contraption much different from a lead sled? Stock is still slamming back against steel instead of pushing his shoulder backwards. Looks like a Caldwell Rock welded to or sitting on 3 pin supports where the large screws used to be, and a Protektor rear bag.

Am I missing something?
For starters the first pic has no weights and gun is free to recoil ( not strapped to the contraption)
Old 07-06-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
For starters the first pic has no weights and gun is free to recoil ( not strapped to the contraption)

Probably wouldn't need weight on top of what looks like a substantial steel frame? And does the user have to go hunting with a 4" x 2" x 1/4" piece of metal strapped to his shoulder so he can copy his range positioning?

Looks to me like that butt is sitting inside a metal sleeve which is pressed against his shoulder. So no buttpad against shoulder. Just a steel plate. I'll ask again. How is that natural?

Glorified lead sled which you don't have to use weight with either, but heavier duty.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Probably wouldn't need weight on top of what looks like a substantial steel frame? And does the user have to go hunting with a 4" x 2" x 1/4" piece of metal strapped to his shoulder so he can copy his range positioning?

Looks to me like that butt is sitting inside a metal sleeve which is pressed against his shoulder. So no buttpad against shoulder. Just a steel plate. I'll ask again. How is that natural?

Glorified lead sled which you don't have to use weight with either, but heavier duty.
I never said it was a natural replication of a shooting position. I said it would work to tame recoil and not destroy your rifle at the same time
Old 07-06-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I never said it was a natural replication of a shooting position. I said it would work to tame recoil and not destroy your rifle at the same time

No harm. Its basically a sturdier leadsled other than him using a protector rear bag to support the rear middle of the stock. Could do same with the Caldwell. Leadsled doesn't clamp or strap the gun down either.

Problem with the LS is you have to reposition the damn things after every shot if you don't use weights. They flop around a lot. Never shot from a weighted one but by and large they're a PITA.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
No harm. Its basically a sturdier leadsled other than him using a protector rear bag to support the rear middle of the stock. Could do same with the Caldwell. Leadsled doesn't clamp or strap the gun down either.

Problem with the LS is you have to reposition the damn things after every shot if you don't use weights. They flop around a lot. Never shot from a weighted one but by and large they're a PITA.
Yes the lead sled does use straps to tie the gun down
Old 07-06-2022, 11:25 PM
Gone Hunting

This muzzle brake was on a custom 7 STW made by Guillard. I didn't need a hearing protector due to the way how those vent channels were drilled as indicated by the hex wrench. This way gases and sound was reflected away from the shooter. This was the best of all brakes that I've used.

Now I have Sako S20 factory brake and the first 2 raws close to the shooter are drilled the same way. I will use it this year when developing a load for my S20 in 300Win Mag so I am hoping that will be as good as the one in the picture.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 07-07-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
This muzzle brake was on a custom 7 STW made by Guillard. I didn't need a hearing protector due to the way how those vent channels were drilled as indicated by the hex wrench. This way gases and sound was reflected away from the shooter. This was the best of all brakes that I've used.

Now I have Sako S20 factory brake and the first 2 raws close to the shooter are drilled the same way. I will use it this year when developing a load for my S20 in 300Win Mag so I am hoping that will be as good as the one in the picture.

You are of course free to do as you like, but this warning is for others reading this thread. Even without a brake, a 7STW should ideally not be shot without hearing protection. With a brake of any kind, you are playing with fire and your hearing shooting them unbraked. That design is less loud than others, but it is still louder than the same gun with no brake. Measure the decibels sometime, my bet is it is far above safe limits for hearing damage.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Yes the lead sled does use straps to tie the gun down

1-2 models out of 6-8 Caldwell makes? Single front strap to reduce muscle jump and I've never personally seen one with or being used. Its primarily the weight and rear steel bracket like the one in your buddies design that can break stocks when they slam back against it.

Why anyone would shoot a rifle with 1/4" of steel between the butt of the stock and their shoulder and 25 lbs of weight holding a cockamamie frame in place and think its a good idea is beyond me.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
1-2 models out of 6-8 Caldwell makes? Single front strap to reduce muscle jump and I've never personally seen one with or being used. Its primarily the weight and rear steel bracket like the one in your buddies design that can break stocks when they slam back against it.

Why anyone would shoot a rifle with 1/4" of steel between the butt of the stock and their shoulder and 25 lbs of weight holding a cockamamie frame in place and think its a good idea is beyond me.
Its a lot harder to haul this around than it is to put in some 0.00001 oz foam ear plugs
Old 07-07-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Its a lot harder to haul this around than it is to put in some 0.00001 oz foam ear plugs

Now that is hitting the nail on the head!!!!
Old 07-07-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Lost me on ear plugs for hearing protection vs a rifle rest.

I don't use either.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lost me on ear plugs for hearing protection vs a rifle rest.

I don't use either.
Huh?
What??
Speak up… i can’t hear you…
Why is it always ringing ?
Old 07-07-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Huh?
What??
Speak up… i can’t hear you…
Why is it always ringing ?

Use noise canceling type headphones at range.

Front rest and rear bag only
Old 07-07-2022, 08:03 PM

Default boddington

Boddington wrote an article on Shooting Big Guns that might be of interest.

Google: How To Shoot Big Guns - An Official Journal of the NRA
Old 07-07-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Boddington wrote an article on Shooting Big Guns that might be of interest.

Google: How To Shoot Big Guns - An Official Journal of the NRA

What's the definition of big? For some its a .308 or .270.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:12 PM

Probably .35 cal and up
Old 07-07-2022, 09:31 PM

Default Zeroing

A guy on utube shows you how to zero a Ruger #1, 450/400 nitro express with one shot using a lead sled.
Google: utube videos on Caldwell lead sleds
Might be of interest?
Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Probably .35 cal and up

Cool. I shoot a "big" gun then. Interesting in that there's a lot of cartridges with much smaller bores that push back a lot harder than the 35's. 338wm comes to mind.

Rather shoot a .35 than a boatload of 308's and even a couple of 284's myself so I guess Boddington is talking about big "recoils" rather than big bullets.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
A guy on utube shows you how to zero a Ruger #1, 450/400 nitro express with one shot using a lead sled.
Google: utube videos on Caldwell lead sleds
Might be of interest?

Still have one kicking around somewhere if you want it. Doesnt have a strap tho if thats a deal breaker.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:00 PM

I think the right answer is if it makes you a better shot and you like shooting that rifle better when you use a muzzle break Then use one. I used to hate them but then my son bought an ultralight .308 that bucked pretty hard. I got him a muzzle break and now he loves it. Easy decision. But for sure use hearing protection. You should be anyways.
As a guide I focus on plugging my ears as the most important thing. Make it a good shot and there isn’t a problem.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:03 PM

Default Lead sled

Quote:
Still have one kicking around somewhere if you want it. Doesnt have a strap tho if thats a deal breaker.
Thanks again for the offer but I don’t need a muzzle break or lead sled for my xbolt.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:49 PM

To my regret I grew up in the era where hearing protection literally was an afterthought.

I ran a Pioneer 600 way more hours than I care to remember, ears absolutely ringing for hours afterward.

Same thing with shooting. Firing .30-06 etc, without any hearing protection.

Just daft.

Back to topic. Muzzle brakes. I don't care what anybody tries to claim about how quiet one is.

Muzzle brakes only belong in military application, is my opinion.

If you think you need one on a hunting rifle, go to a smaller cartridge that you can handle.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-07-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
To my regret I grew up in the era where hearing protection literally was an afterthought.

I ran a Pioneer 600 way more hours than I care to remember, ears absolutely ringing for hours afterward.

Same thing with shooting. Firing .30-06 etc, without any hearing protection.

Just daft.

Back to topic. Muzzle brakes. I don't care what anybody tries to claim about how quiet one is.

Muzzle brakes only belong in military application, is my opinion.

If you think you need one on a hunting rifle, go to a smaller cartridge that you can handle.
You are completely entitled to make your own choices. However, that right applies to everyone else too. The choice of whether to use a brake is up to the individual shooter. Just because it isn't the right choice for you does not mean everyone else should have to do it your way. We need to respect peoples choices. It is entirely fair to discuss the pros and cons, and even personal choice, but I really draw the line at forcing my or your choices on everyone else. We aren't talking about something that is all that important that these kind of hard lines need to be drawn.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are completely entitled to make your own choices. However, that right applies to everyone else too. The choice of whether to use a brake is up to the individual shooter. Just because it isn't the right choice for you does not mean everyone else should have to do it your way. We need to respect peoples choices. It is entirely fair to discuss the pros and cons, and even personal choice, but I really draw the line at forcing my or your choices on everyone else. We aren't talking about something that is all that important that these kind of hard lines need to be drawn.

Dean, I only draw the line at them being used close to me at the range. If people need to shoot more rifle than they're capable of shooting without a brake they can do it well down the line, with the rest of the people shooting more rifle than they're capable of shooting without a brake.

Remains a head scratcher for me when easier rifles to shoot kill just as well in the hands of someone that takes the time to practice but magnumitis is a nasty affliction.