Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Camping on Lake Winefred

So I'm going to winefred camping on the lake, was wondering what people thought the best place to camp was? I've heard lots of people camp up and around the Sand river. Do you just drive your boat up the sand river? Also, I've seen some islands that look promising and the north side of the lake seems to have a few spots that might work. What's people recommendations? I'm not planning at staying at a lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Search ,there was a big post about this last month ,
Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Like was mentioned above, there was a big post covering a lot of this topic.

The Sand River has cabins that are owned by the Winifred Lake Lodge. It is not a public campground. They have a lease to that particular site as part of their business license.

There is a public campground at grist river. Super awful road to get to.

There are two islands that camping would be possible. Banana Island and Wally Island. Just be cognizant of the wind. Lake can get pretty rough.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:50 PM

I was under the impression you could camp further up the sand river, past where the lodge has their lease. I read that post, the one guy was saying it might be possible to camp up the sand river, but no one really confirmed it. Was wondering if the river was deep enough to do that or if the shore was conducive to doing that.

That's the biggest reason I don't want to camp on those islands. They are fairly exposed

Old 06-21-2017, 07:31 PM

I went up the sand river about a mile 2 weeks ago. The river is deep enough, but I didn't see anywhere on the shoreline that you'd even be able to pull your boat up to or camp. Very wet area and kind of muskeg swampy other than right at the river opening where the lodge has their wilderness camp.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:46 PM

There are a couple spots on banana island. One on the northwest side and one on the southwest. I don't think there is a spot cleared on wally. The shore is also a little rocky and or a steep bank along Wally so tying a boat up there might be hard to do if you're worried about the hull on the rocks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM

There is nowhere else to camp up the sandy river. If you are bringing your own boat you're better off driving to the public launch and camping right there. People do that often but you'd better have a truck with mud tires. Other potential camping spots are near eagle bay there is a sandy area to put your boat but you will likely need to clear out a lot of brush and run the risk of bumping into a bear. There are a couple spots on Banana Island that are good but be prepared to possibly share your site. If someone else pulls in and you are already set up, if they were banking on staying there you might have to allow it since no one rents or has any claim over that space.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Either pay the money to go to the lodge/outfitter/wilderness camp and pay to use their launches and parking fees or get a 4x4 with mud tires and hope it doesn't rain and pound into the public campground at grist.

Those are the only real options.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 PM

Yeah, I'm already going to launch from Paul's. It's easier on the boat and truck. Sounds like banana island would be the best spot. I don't really mind sharing a camping spot.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:04 PM

If you're launching at Paul's, banana island would be nice and close. You could still go to the grist campground and set up, but that's a long way to haul all your camping gear across the open water especially if it's rough.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Yip and Winefred is getting deader all the time. As Safety D would say hit. I miss his comments but he is pretty accurate have to give him that
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
LMAO AO Forum is all about Winefred now.. every idiot out there trying to access it. It's a repeat of Cold Lake 7 years ago. Every thread was COLD LAKE COLD LAKE.. now every thread is WINEFRED WINEFRED WINEFRED.. SHEEP SHEEP SHEEP

I guess all us idiots who want to try out winefred or cold lake as well should just stay out of there. Should leave it for the people who can afford to pay 300 dollars for a day of fishing?? I thought this forum was for people who like to fish and share fishing with others. All most people ask is how to access an area, or where can launch a boat.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

All the advice given is good as gold. The public launch make sure you got some lift on your truck and go slow.. I busted a bearing on my boat trailer going in there last time. Good luck.

P.S. Advice for the future.. you ever find a great fishery? Don't tell anyone
Old 06-29-2017, 11:30 PM

Default Camping on Lake Winefred

It's pretty funny reading guys talk about how winefred is fished out when there is a one pike limit and no walleye and the fishery sees maybe 10 boats a day. The lake is as big as wabuman probably in water volume. Maybe you just don't know how to find them? First time fishing it, and I found them pretty quick. We got 4 40" pike and not one walleye was smaller than two feet. Banged off a ton of fish when everyone is saying it's slow. The fishing was tough because of the weather and couldn't really get over to eagle point or the north side of the lake but we made do. Camping on banana island was rough due to the shifting wind but it's a nice spot and with better weather I'd do it again. Paul was awesome. I really don't get why people on here bash him, he lets us launch our boats from a better launch, with a better road to access it, and unlike the lodge lets us camp if we are so inclined. Great guy, I'll definitely give him my patronage again. Fished out my a**.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 AM

Shhhhhhh quiet. Roads are impassable, lake is fished out, lodge and Paul impossible to deal with. No one say anything to the contrary. And everyone disregard those above pictures. Lol.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
LMAO AO Forum is all about Winefred now.. every idiot out there trying to access it. It's a repeat of Cold Lake 7 years ago. Every thread was COLD LAKE COLD LAKE.. now every thread is WINEFRED WINEFRED WINEFRED.. SHEEP SHEEP SHEEP

And someone bust this maggot
shoot where their
going not where they been,