Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Pointer Breed

Good evening,

I would like to hear from owners of any breed of pointer. How they are as a family dog, hunting, temperament etc.

And of course pictures lol

They are on my list of possible breeds that I may want to get for a new dog this year, but would like to hear from people first hand.

Trying to narrow down the best breed for a family dog, hunting dog and a real good bush buddy. Not a fan of golden retriever's and labs are on the list as I used to own one many many years ago. I am really looking at the german wirehaired pointer.

Last edited by troutbug; 03-17-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 PM

My Drahthaar seems to have a switch in that he is a good pet with a great temperament around the house, but when he gets in the field he goes into hunt mode, and is like a different dog altogether. He learns very quickly but you can't do the same drills over and over, and over again like you can with a lab, or he loses interest, and gets bored. He is friendly with everyone, and will all other dogs, but once he is hunting, he goes flat out, and doesn't want to stop.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

No need to comment on the hunting aspect, get a good bloodline if you're looking for a pointer.

Just about any dog can be trained to hunt, even a pitbull breed. You may even get the field to yourself if other hunters see one coming

The rest is up to you. Heavy socialization to me is key - kids, adults, other dogs, cats etc. Keep any dog locked in a cage all day, never really take it out, you'll reap what you sew.

My minpin is getting great prey drive, can't wait to get him on mice.

Was in a pet store yesterday, brought him over to check out the rodents, he's at the glass growling wanting to attack. A lady that worked there came over, she says you need to train your dog better. My response? I am training him But he has an off switch that I didn't train. Already called him off 3 rabbits when he was off leash.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 PM

The pointers need to be exercised well. Mine at 9 has more energy than my Lab did at 1. GWP's and GSP's are both great dogs. I kinda like the GWP's for the scruffy aspect... so scruffy they are cute. And I like the beards/moustaches/eyebrows. Character.

From what I can tell any of the versatiles can be great pets and hunters (but choose your bloodlines). Study how to train them. Also, there are some rescue groups for the pointers on FB if you are interested in that.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 AM

Also would be great if those who know could pm me breeder info on pointers. Preferably in AB
Old 03-18-2017, 12:52 AM

i have a wirehair pointer , and a short hair pointer and a golden retreiver , they are all great dogs , the pointers are insane with energy , really smart and free thinking but they WILL follow their noses instead of your commands unless you spend a ton of time training them , as far as a family dog i doubt you can find a better dog . my wirehair is very clingy and when i leave he used to have seperation issues but he grew out of it for the most part . if you get a pointer you need to have a sense of humour and lots of patience , and they definately dont respond well to negative attention.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 AM

My wire hair is a fantastic pet. Very calm in the house and always looking to please. Will not get on furniture or bed unless invited even though he was not trained for this. He can be little wonky around other large male dogs, but I put that off to being a rescue and not socialized properly from a pup. Never got into a fight though. As has been mentioned when hunting he is all business, not as busy as others describe their versatile's though. He is very thorough and deliberate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Gone Hunting

I love GWP.
On the left is Tina this is her first Birthday She is DD registered in Germany, yes they have ice cream.
On the right is Cora GWP She is 12 in this pic. Gone at 14 in 2008.

This is Tina now 11

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-19-2017, 09:59 PM

If anyone has info on a good breeder please pm me. Kind of aiming at a GWP or GSP

Last edited by troutbug; 03-19-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Pointers vs Versatiles

The dogs you are interested in are called Versatile Hunting Dogs and I think at last count there are 33 breeds, not all of them are suited to Alberta's climate IMO.

If you check NAVHDA.org you can see all the breeds that are available.

Pointers are fine dogs but don't hunt waterfowl or retrieve very well.

There are 2 clubs in Alberta that train these dogs, Prairie Vista, and Wild Rose, you can see them working at one of their training sessions.

The GSP is the most popular Versatile and you can get a good one for a reasonable price.

There is a web site versatiledogs.com that may interest you.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Here is mine a Large Munsterlander

The big issue with them is that there are not many breeders , the upside is that most if not all are “by hunters for hunters” so once you get on a list for a litter chances are you will get a good hunter.

Dash is on the big side for breed @75lb there is a female in town that is 45lb but that is on the small side for a female.

At 5 years old he has settled down a lot, but those first two years he needed lots of off leash, but even now he gets an hour or more of off leash every day. But in general an awesome family dog, though I doubt that there is a breed of bird dog that could be considered a bad family dog. But I would call the breed high energy so a “big yard” won’t help.

As a hunter he is fantastic, a perfect fit for a mixed bag hunter LM’ as a rule love water . Early season upland I do have to be mindful of keeping him cool , and late season upland there is no such thing as too cold and seems to find another gear. For waterfowl he is fine until the last few 2-3 weeks before freeze up, the breed does not have a double coat so he gets wet. Even with a vest in my opinion he gets too cold. He was in his third hunting season before he was settled down enough to sit in a blind, but I think that was more a function on how I trained him.

Just another one of many fantastic breeds out there

Last edited by aulrich; 03-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM

I had 3 GSP's so far. All super family dogs, work your butt off trying to tire them out. I always had a pair of them at one time. The plan was to hunt them, young family, no time so they were just pets. AWESOME with my kids from babies, toddlers to young adults, great temperament. My cousin has a GSP for family and hunting birds. Same as above plus the bird factor. Very good breed Imo.

Hopefully soon, I will be on the search for # 4.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 AM

I have an 11 year old Brittany. Wonderful dog. Gentle, loving, barks about once a month, doesn't fight with other dogs, has never bitten or even growled at a human. Great family dog. I can leave a steak sitting on the coffee table and come back and it's still there. He will NOT grab and run. DOES required a fair amount of exercise, which is probably true of most hunting dogs. We give him two walks a day (one off leash) totaling about 75 minutes. I also got him because I didn't want a dog as big as a lab or golden, setter, etc. No long tail bashing things over too.

Decent upland dog, though he would be better if I was a better trainer. Brits win plenty of awards. His lack of high performance is MY fault. He will also do waterfowl and will happily swim out and retrieve a still-live duck. He wants to go. He cries when I shoot and miss. He does balk at going in later in the season when it's pretty cold and he has to break ice. He's not built for it. A lab is. GSP also sounds good but I've zero experience with them.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Default GSP ftw

Gsp's.... Well basically im hooked. I dont think I will ever acquire a different breed. Aside from the field stuff which is a given because man does she LOVE hunting. But the homelife, Shes fantastic with kids of all ages, youngest shes been around was 8m very tolerant. Shes just a lazy bum around home and loves sleeping under the covers in bed lol. Smart as a whip too. I have a small dog and 2 cats around here and she gets along fantastic with them all. She makes a terrible guard dog though, My lil dog makes a better one haha. This girl makes me fully understand the old adage "mans best friend".
Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 AM

SCI - Northern Alberta Chapter has a German Wire haired pointer puppy from local breeder with great bloodlines at their up coming Banquet April 1, 2017 at Italian Center.
It will be in the live auction!
Also many other great trips and merchandise, check out website
http://sci-northern.ab.ca/fundraising/
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My Drahthaar seems to have a switch in that he is a good pet with a great temperament around the house, but when he gets in the field he goes into hunt mode, and is like a different dog altogether. He learns very quickly but you can't do the same drills over and over, and over again like you can with a lab, or he loses interest, and gets bored. He is friendly with everyone, and will all other dogs, but once he is hunting, he goes flat out, and doesn't want to stop.
And a handsome breed to boot.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Troutbug!!! we have a fellow member trying to (likely) GIVE his GSP away. Marital break-up, can't keep it, 3 years old. This might be a match made in heaven.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317191
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Here is mine a Large Munsterlander

The big issue with them is that there are not many breeders , the upside is that most if not all are “by hunters for hunters” so once you get on a list for a litter chances are you will get a good hunter.

Dash is on the big side for breed @75lb there is a female in town that is 45lb but that is on the small side for a female.

At 5 years old he has settled down a lot, but those first two years he needed lots of off leash, but even now he gets an hour or more of off leash every day. But in general an awesome family dog, though I doubt that there is a breed of bird dog that could be considered a bad family dog. But I would call the breed high energy so a “big yard” won’t help.

As a hunter he is fantastic, a perfect fit for a mixed bag hunter LM’ as a rule love water . Early season upland I do have to be mindful of keeping him cool , and late season upland there is no such thing as too cold and seems to find another gear. For waterfowl he is fine until the last few 2-3 weeks before freeze up, the breed does not have a double coat so he gets wet. Even with a vest in my opinion he gets too cold. He was in his third hunting season before he was settled down enough to sit in a blind, but I think that was more a function on how I trained him.

Just another one of many fantastic breeds out there
Scared the tard out of me when I first met him. I thought mine was going to be that size! (I got the smaller version) Great family dog, loves to cuddle and virtually lazes around the house next to you. Love sleeping with you if you let it. During hunting season mine has great drives (goes crazy for birds and gophers when we are at the park) will run all day if you let it.....a bit whiny though....but I believe they were used to hunt wild games and they would vocalize their prey scent by different pitches. Also mine purrs.... which is interesting when I'm rubbing her chest and belly.