Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If you hire a guy to shingle your roof at 1/2 the price of a reputable contractor, don't expect leaks, but don't be surprised if there are some.
True, but you expect that what he put on your roof are actually shingles. Right?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM

I actually watched the whole show and the people testing the product is staged....They are actors if you look closely
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Responsible journalism means you're a hundred per cent sure of your case and are prepared to back it. CBC claims now "that it actually didn't actually say that", it just repeated the testing agency claims. We Gonna Pay.

Grizz
Ummm that's what they said from the hop. Responsible journalism is hiring a lab to conduct an experiment and then publishing the results. It wasn't 4 CBC staffers in a pub that got creative. It's published lab results. Or should they go to 4 more labs and 23andMe and confirm?

Christ some of the people around here have gone so far right they're coming around left.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Wow! Think of the legal fees/costs this generates plus the cost to CBC of a loss - maybe for a much smaller amount.

It's sure a heads up that such "outliers" need 10 times the sampling, maybe by multiple labs, as confirmation or you might be wasting a whole lot of cash on a lawsuit.

Bottom line: kiss such investigative reporting goodbye.

Quote:
Subway says it plans to sue CBC for $210 million over chicken findings

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-findings.html
Quote:
MARKETPLACE
What's in your chicken sandwich? DNA test shows Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken
Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food restaurants tested
By Pete Evans and Eric Szeto, CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2017
Subway's results were such an outlier that the team decided to test them again, biopsying five new oven roasted chicken pieces, and five new orders of chicken strips.

Those results were averaged: the oven roasted chicken scored 53.6 per cent chicken DNA, and the chicken strips were found to have just 42.8 per cent chicken DNA. The majority of the remaining DNA? Soy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mark...food-1.3993967
Old 03-20-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Ummm that's what they said from the hop. Responsible journalism is hiring a lab to conduct an experiment and then publishing the results. It wasn't 4 CBC staffers in a pub that got creative. It's published lab results. Or should they go to 4 more labs and 23andMe and confirm?

Christ some of the people around here have gone so far right they're coming around left.
One of the fundamental tenets of any scientific research is repeatability. The number of tests done, and the design of the tests will be central to this law suit I would suspect. If the CBC can prove their, "lab results", are accurate and representative of the facts they have nothing to worry about.

Time will tell.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
One of the fundamental tenets of any scientific research is repeatability. The number of tests done, and the design of the tests will be central to this law suit I would suspect. If the CBC can prove their, "lab results", are accurate and representative of the facts they have nothing to worry about.

Time will tell.
Exactly....None of us have seen the actual test results between CBC or Subway....The lawsuit will actually provide those results and prove either way in court.

Any tests done so far are hearsay....and not even on paper for the public to see.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
The gentleman who initiated this thread didn't seem to have a problem with the story the first time he posted about it.... Must have been because it was blessed by Breitbart.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=subway
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 PM

Screw the cbc. I'm not opening another thread about this giant waste of taxpayer money unless the title reads :CBC shut down forever. Then I'll open it and if it's true I'll book a flight to onterrible to laugh at that bald headed pompous twat that calls himself a journalist.

Edit: typo

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM

If you're going to make an accusation that will affect the livelihood of thousands of Subways franchises, their owners, workers, and workers families - then you better make sure your accusation are beyond reproach.

If CBC has done this, then they should be ok.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
The gentleman who initiated this thread didn't seem to have a problem with the story the first time he posted about it.... Must have been because it was blessed by Breitbart.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=subway
It was on Breitbart's site, but it was a CBC story. Different facts have surfaced from the other side of the story, so I posted those. Something wrong with that? Or do you prefer to only hear one side of the story?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
It was on Breitbart's site, but it was a CBC story. Different facts have surfaced from the other side of the story, so I posted those. Something wrong with that? Or do you prefer to only hear one side of the story?
OK.

Hey look the "little ole me...." defense again. Be who you want to be, just have the stones to own it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM

If true and I say if this reminds me of a similar situation I just recently did for a client in the pet food industry. From what I read it turned out that the supplier to them was putting in extra by products instead of the real thing to bolster his margins. Many dogs got sick and died over this and they are fighting an uphill battle to get customers back and even the retailers go push it in their stores. Sure looks like a lot of pieces of this look like what happened there and that was a few years back and side effects of lack of sales is still there. Several retailers I visited jumped all over these guys and basically said not to buy their product even though it was their supplier not their own company doing this.
I have not spoken to Subway people about it but I know an owner and I am sure we will beat this up some day. Hopefully the whole story comes out and either the anaysis was out to lunch or their supplier is trying to pull a fast one as I cant see a big outfit like that pulling this scenario.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Ok...What amazes me is certain people have soy allergies....If there is that much soy in the chicken at Subway, I am sure there would be documented lawsuits for these people having reactions to soy.....Subway has done tests at 2 or 3 labs that specializes in food testing....Trent University is not an approved facility to do such testing. The results from actually approved food testing facilties are on the Subway website....
Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Banned

Last edited by rugatika; 03-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 PM

No bias there!!

The old adage "stats don't lie, statisticians do", probably holds true here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
The results from actually approved food testing facilties are on the Subway website....

-Confucius
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
No bias there!!

The CBC and the tax payers better hope so!!

And yes, I view the CBC as un-biased as any other sleazy media outlet.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
No bias there!!

Are you kidding me...So these results are signed off, as you can see, and they would tarnish their reputation as a certified insitution for testing food products
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post

The CBC and the tax payers better hope so!!

And yes, I view the CBC as un-biased as any other sleazy media outlet.
Exactly....SLEEZY bunch of crap.....The NHL should drop them on Saturday nights
Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM

I thought people gave up on subway after jared.