Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Banned

Default Subway sues CBC (aka: Canadian taxpayer) over chicken

Looks like the CBC is going to cost us another couple hundred million bucks. Subway has had their chicken independently tested and found less than 1% soy, while the mother corp reported 50%. Also, Subway gets their chicken from the same supplier as Wendy's and Tim's which scored higher.

http://www.businessinsider.com/subwa...scandal-2017-3
Fast-food chain Subway is pecking back at Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Quote:
(CBC) for a report that alleged its chicken is largely made up of soybean filler.

"We have issued a Notice of Action in Canada against the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that asks for $210 million in damages over allegations made by its program, ‘Marketplace,’ that are defamatory and absolutely false," a Subway spokesman told TheWrap in a statement.

"Despite our efforts to share the facts with the CBC about the high quality of our chicken and to express our strong objections to their inaccurate claims, they have not issued a retraction, as we requested."

Old 03-17-2017, 01:09 AM

Well if CBC had the testing done by an independent lab, and the lab said that the 'chicken' was really half soy... and CBC reported the lab's findings, it's not really defamatory is it? They're just reporting what the lab said
Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 AM

Well cbc should just send a dozen people out to a dozen different stores and do a dozen tests. If the initial findings Report wrong then apologize and retract. In six months do the same thing again...

Colin
Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Well if CBC had the testing done by an independent lab, and the lab said that the 'chicken' was really half soy... and CBC reported the lab's findings, it's not really defamatory is it? They're just reporting what the lab said
I would think the media outlet has the responsibility of making sure their stories are factual, ie the smart thing to do would be have a second lab verify the results to ensure an error was not made that could result in a law suit against them. They also have the deep pockets so they would obviously be sued ahead of any lab.

That any of my tax dollars go to the CBC is irksome to say the least.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Anybody ever try subways chicken? I feel 50% is being generous. CBC used an independent lab as well and then posted the results. I know most of you hate the CBC but it's not acceptable for a big corporation to sue over this. Sometimes an outlet like the CBC is all the public has for these situations.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 AM

Back a few years ago they were caught with meat glue added to their product in their beef they want a product cheaply made and add additives and charged more they been getting away with this for years now it back fired
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher67 View Post
Back a few years ago they were caught with meat glue added to their product in their beef they want a product cheaply made and add additives and charged more they been getting away with this for years now it back fired
Meat glue (Transglutaminase) is a naturally occurring enzyme that binds proteins together. Same type of enzyme that allows your skin to heal and blood to clot. Makes sense to me that meat processors would use the smaller pieces of meat and bind them together to keep costs down and have less waste.

Top chefs use meat glue to bind different proteins together like binding chicken skin to salmon or lamb tenderloins to scallops.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Anybody ever try subways chicken? I feel 50% is being generous. CBC used an independent lab as well and then posted the results. I know most of you hate the CBC but it's not acceptable for a big corporation to sue over this. Sometimes an outlet like the CBC is all the public has for these situations.
They have different chicken for sure. More like foam.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM

I am far from a fan of CBC, I would vote to shut off tax money to it in a heart beat. That said, if I was picking a dog in this fight I would side with CBC. Subway has a long history, and many citations, for skating just the other side of legal, and a long ways the other side of unhealthy. I wouldn't eat the crap they serve on a bet.

https://subway.****edconsumer.com/

the * are a p, an I, and 2 Ss

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/food/subway.html
Old 03-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
I would think the media outlet has the responsibility of making sure their stories are factual, ie the smart thing to do would be have a second lab verify the results to ensure an error was not made that could result in a law suit against them.
I don't necessarily think they had an obligation to get the test done twice. But once Subway came forward, said the data was wrong, and asked for a retraction, Marketplace should have gotten a second test done by a different firm. That said, we don't know that they weren't wrong.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher67 View Post
If your eating anything burger, beef, chicken, fish patty at pretty much any fast food restaurant, you are eating meat glue. I like the hormone free stuff lol.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Gone Fishing

I am guessing that Subway is going on the stance that by saying ....."Any news is good news", that they will get tons of people trying the chicken just to make up their own minds. By keeping the store in the headlines and suing they will get all manner of free publicity.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post

Top chefs use meat glue to bind different proteins together like binding chicken skin to salmon or lamb tenderloins to scallops.
Hold on a second, why have I not heard of this? Also where do I get this? It sounds delicious!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Anyone that believes any **** that spews from the CBC.....Are you kidding me!

Jump on the bandwagon everytime something comes out in the news....

Let the process allow to continue and Subway will clear the air once the facts come out.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Maybe just a subway publicity stunt or damage control. Threaten to sue. Costs next to nothing until disclosure. Disclosure will be sharing data. Data should show the results reported. Lawsuit quietly dropped and no one knows or cares yet the reward is subway got people like rugs to post the story and grow cred.

I have eaten subway. Processed chicken. Arguing what goes into it does not negate facts. Facts are subway includes soy as an ingredient.

Maybe the supplier ripped them off and they didn't know it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Maybe just a subway publicity stunt or damage control. Threaten to sue. Costs next to nothing until disclosure. Disclosure will be sharing data. Data should show the results reported. Lawsuit quietly dropped and no one knows or cares yet the reward is subway got people like rugs to post the story and grow cred.

I have eaten subway. Processed chicken. Arguing what goes into it does not negate facts. Facts are subway includes soy as an ingredient.

This does not effect just one person suing another individual.....and swept under the rug.....These damages are concerning to thousands of Subway Franchisee's that is their livelihood....
Old 03-17-2017, 02:34 PM

I saw the show and I am sure from what I saw they will end up at the fact was they are only reporting the facts that they were given by the testing outfit and wash their hands of it all. If true disapointing but who knows. I am actually sitting down and have just finished a Subway sandwich at this moment. Mmmm.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM

Myself I never did like the taste of subway chicken. Nothing beats moms chicken dinners.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Or maybe that Franchise owner sourced his own cheaper alternative.
Looks like it was Trent University that did the testing.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Hold on a second, why have I not heard of this? Also where do I get this? It sounds delicious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXrB3rz-xU
Old 03-17-2017, 04:09 PM

If you can afford to eat at fast food restaurants, you can take your chances with what you eat, or do yourself a favor and cook your own food. While you should be able to expect to not get food poisoning at any restaurant, nutritional value of fast food is a crap shoot. You get what you pay for.
Marketplace is probably the best thing the CBC has ever done. However, with a bottomless budget funded by you and me, the CBC's investigative journalism (and liberal views) will be believed by those who want to hear it.
If you rely on the CBC for factual information, you should rely on Subway to keep you healthy.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

This thread has me craving a loaded Italian BMT!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Indeed!

Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If you can afford to eat at fast food restaurants, you can take your chances with what you eat, or do yourself a favor and cook your own food. While you should be able to expect to not get food poisoning at any restaurant, nutritional value of fast food is a crap shoot. You get what you pay for.
Marketplace is probably the best thing the CBC has ever done. However, with a bottomless budget funded by you and me, the CBC's investigative journalism (and liberal views) will be believed by those who want to hear it.
If you rely on the CBC for factual information, you should rely on Subway to keep you healthy.
You quote is right but your conclusion is SO wrong. You get what you pay for. If you pay for chicken you should get it. Not filler or soy. If subway wants to start advertising chicken FLAVOURED subs, then that would be fine.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Indeed!

When I went to grade school they supplied the best tasting glue
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Responsible journalism means you're a hundred per cent sure of your case and are prepared to back it. CBC claims now "that it actually didn't actually say that", it just repeated the testing agency claims. We Gonna Pay.

Grizz
Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You quote is right but your conclusion is SO wrong. You get what you pay for. If you pay for chicken you should get it. Not filler or soy. If subway wants to start advertising chicken FLAVOURED subs, then that would be fine.
It's not my conclusion that's SO wrong, it's the public's conception of what's right. Some of us will keep eating at McDonald's because it's cheap even though it gives them the sh%ts... OK bad example...
If you hire a guy to shingle your roof at 1/2 the price of a reputable contractor, don't expect leaks, but don't be surprised if there are some.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Trent University?

I thought that it was Guelph. Either way I'll bet on the Canadian University that did the testing. So will Safeway's customers. I'll bet that the University is right too.

Just because you sue doesn't mean you are right or that you will win.

I don't think that we will pay.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
This does not effect just one person suing another individual.....and swept under the rug.....These damages are concerning to thousands of Subway Franchisee's that is their livelihood....
You assume CBC is wrong? The suit will be hard to prove if there is reasonable proof. Especially if samples were retained.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Default lol...

lol