Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Default Balding

Alright guys, I'm a pretty young dude, early 20s, and lately I've noticed my hairline has started to recede. I was hoping to at least make it to 30 before my hair started to jump ship but I guess that isn't going to be the case. Supposedly you get your hair genetics from your mom's side of the family, and after seeing my grandfather on my mom's side wedding photo of him at 24, I'm thinking I don't have a lot of time left with my blonde locks.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind keeping a somewhat full head of hair, this is Canada after all and it'd be nice having something on top to keep my brain warm if I happen to get caught without a toque while outside in the -20...

What are my options here? Does a guy see a doctor? Anyway to slow it down? Or just wait till it becomes noticeably bad, and then shave 'er all away? I've never really cared or style my hair much before (wear a hat 80% of the time anyway) and paying the $18 every few months for a hair cut was sort of annoying anyway, so I'm thinking the buzz cut life might not be too bad after all.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 PM

Shaving your whole head bald is the coward's way out.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 PM

Buzz cut and move on. I have alopecia. No hair on my body. Doesn't stop me. No need to shave. Chicks dig bald dudes more than you think.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Gone Hunting

My father always told me that he massaged chicken $h!t & honey into his scalp. He had a full head of hair at 95. I followed his sage advice & have done the same, full head of hair at 68. Gotta work!!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
My father always told me that he massaged chicken $h!t & honey into his scalp. He had a full head of hair at 95. I followed his sage advice & have done the same, full head of hair at 68. Must have worked!!!!
Whhhhattttt !
Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
so I'm thinking the buzz cut life might not be too bad after all.

Mow it down. I'm early 30s and have a couple of friends who were in that same spot. They tried to hang on to their hair and finally I had to them them it didn't look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Shaving your whole head bald is the coward's way out.
Better than having a comb over at 30.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Buzz cut it, go to a barber for under $18.00 or go buy a set of clippers from Walmart.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned

Op go ahead and big that lid.

Some guys have the genes and will have full heads of hair all their lives.

And many of us start losing our hair early.

Those that try and hold onto what is being taken away especially at 30 are fooling themselves.

You are not going to get it back.

Have the confidence to sport a chrome dome.

Yeah it's cooler in the winter but then again they invented this item called a touque
And ball caps in the summer.

Women love a self-confident bald man.

Bald is sexy.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Don't bother with a doctor, there is no stopping it. Live life to the fullest while you still have some, it will be over soon enough.

I started growing my 2 acre forehead in my early 20's aswell - it sucks but you don't have much choice in the matter. I agree with keeping it short/neat, there is no excuse for a comb over... Ever.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Take the plunge and get it buzzed off, they keep Mr. Clean on the label for a reason
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 PM

2 best choices are to shave your head or go Big Ern from Kingpin.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM

Try nioxin shampoo/conditioner
Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Buzz cut it, go to a barber for under $18.00 or go buy a set of clippers from Walmart.
this
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM

I've got indecisive balding. I have a definite thin dome out back and its thinned a bit at the front, but its holding on. Watch out for those Rogaine and no-name equivalents, one time I tried it and wasn't really following instructions and just rubbed it in on the whole topside and while I didn't notice any gain out back (which may or may not have happened) it made the frontal part thinner yet! That frontal part has grown back, but if I'm ever to try it again I'm sure not applying any there. If it gets worse it'll just get shorter; embrace it like Bruce Willis did.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Rogaine - halts hair loss. You can take a tablet or use a shampoo. 100% effective.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:48 PM

I've nearly got the toilet seat head and I'm still under 30. Started losing my hair around 17 or 18. Spent $20 on a clipper kit. About 10 years of hair cuts for $20 ain't bad.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Don't fight your baldness- Embrace it. Get a decent clipper to get it extremely low and then shave it off. Repeat for life and you're golden.

Be very careful of the sun your first few summers though. It will burn very easily.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
I've nearly got the toilet seat head and I'm still under 30. Started losing my hair around 17 or 18. Spent $20 on a clipper kit. About 10 years of hair cuts for $20 ain't bad.
Nice to hear I'm at least not alone in this.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Don't fight your baldness- Embrace it. Get a decent clipper to get it extremely low and then shave it off. Repeat for life and you're golden.

Be very careful of the sun your first few summers though. It will burn very easily.
This guy would know!

I've done the shaved head a few times but more for the heck of it as I wasn't really thinning back then, the think that really struck me was that when you exercise and get sweat rolling off your noggin that it really builds up speed and does and Eddie the Eagle off your eyebrows. I much prefer low velocity sweating.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Balding

You could go to your doctor and talk to him about finasteride/propecia which is used to combat male pattern baldness.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Google Cowsills music video, it may or may not cheer you up.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Shave it and join the club ...im 34 and nothing up top just keep a hat on it in winter and sunscreen in summer..... oh ya and the women love the bald guys
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
My father always told me that he massaged chicken $h!t & honey into his scalp. He had a full head of hair at 95. I followed his sage advice & have done the same, full head of hair at 68. Gotta work!!!!

Pics of you doing this - or it didn't happen!!

To the OP - I do not have this situation. I have a several friends and a brother and his 2 sons who do (one who went cul de sac at 18). Buzz er down and call it good. Its less of an issue than you think.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

I'm getting close to 50 and still have a full head of hair, but thinning a little on the top. My brother is pretty much bald and does the buzz cut. I've had friends that did everything they could to save their hair and they all look bad. Best thing to do is cut it short. Shaving it bald looks terrible, but some women tell me it looks OK. Our grandpa's on both sides had full heads of hair. I remember something about the genetic linkage from a genetics class, but can't remember the exact route.

I think I saw something about Mathew Mconahey (however you spell it), and how he saved his hair loss with something. You could try looking into that. I think he was on Kimmel or Fallon or Letterman or Leno yipping about it. Got him some Lincoln commercials.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 PM

Do a ridiculous silly side head over the top comb over and swirl. Dye it yellow. Run for president.

On a serious note - buzz it down - I really think that looks better than shaving it down like Mr.Clean.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Whoa!

I'm sure the hot chicks don't find that very sexy - but then on the other hand - maybe the chickens and the roosters ....... might.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Alright guys, I'm a pretty young dude, early 20s, and lately I've noticed my hairline has started to recede. I was hoping to at least make it to 30 before my hair started to jump ship but I guess that isn't going to be the case. Supposedly you get your hair genetics from your mom's side of the family, and after seeing my grandfather on my mom's side wedding photo of him at 24, I'm thinking I don't have a lot of time left with my blonde locks.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind keeping a somewhat full head of hair, this is Canada after all and it'd be nice having something on top to keep my brain warm if I happen to get caught without a toque while outside in the -20...

What are my options here? Does a guy see a doctor? Anyway to slow it down? Or just wait till it becomes noticeably bad, and then shave 'er all away? I've never really cared or style my hair much before (wear a hat 80% of the time anyway) and paying the $18 every few months for a hair cut was sort of annoying anyway, so I'm thinking the buzz cut life might not be too bad after all.
Quit whining and shave your head. You'll stop worrying about it as soon as you accept it. Or you can be one of "those guys" and keep r balding hair..but then... I'd be one of thoooose guys

Seriously... just buzz it all off to a number 2, then In a few years to a number 1, then a few years later to a zero.... thhhen shave that ****er bald
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 PM

Im 38 and its getting a little thin up top. Not quite ready to shave it all off yet. Looked into hair transplants. It seems to have good results if you dont wait till your totally bald. Pricey and bloody but its your hair just relocated to where you need it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 PM

Some people prefer to use their testosterone for growing hair, , , I prefer to use it for something else. LOL