Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 PM

Default Good riddance to both

Good riddance to both the NDP and daylight savings!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I at least think it should be a referendum, not just the NDP forcing through one of their agendas that not everybody wants.
I would love to see Notley refer this miniscule issue to a referendum while ignoring the 70% of the people that want a referendum on her carbon cash grab...
Old 12-15-2016, 02:54 PM

To those of you bashing the government for misdirection, or not dealing with the important issue....

Seriously? Do you expect the gov't to focus on only one topic at a time? and of course if a more important topic came along I expect you would demand they drop the current one and focus on the new one. Give your head a shake.

As much as I don't like the NDP, I am quite confident they are capable of addressing more than one issue at a time. Perhaps not addressing it in what I consider a good way, but they can deal with multiple issues. Lets not muddy the discussion with inane arguments.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Gone Hunting

As long as it's 5 o'clock somewhere..........

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is the only thing I could agree with...I like the extra light after work, adds extra time to hunting season.

LC
I totally agree with wanting more time in the evening to hunt, but I think you have it backwards. DLS starts in the spring, ends in the fall. If they scrap it then you would have less time to hunt after work for the entire fall, instead of just the last three weeks of November. I'd rather see us go on DLS time, and stay on it.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:21 PM

LOOK! Over there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
To those of you bashing the government for misdirection, or not dealing with the important issue....

Seriously? Do you expect the gov't to focus on only one topic at a time? and of course if a more important topic came along I expect you would demand they drop the current one and focus on the new one. Give your head a shake.

As much as I don't like the NDP, I am quite confident they are capable of addressing more than one issue at a time. Perhaps not addressing it in what I consider a good way, but they can deal with multiple issues. Lets not muddy the discussion with inane arguments.
I agree. But going on Central Time........somebody actually thinks that is something that should be considered? Eliminate Mountain Time entirely............a Conservative MLA near the Sask border thinks this is good for the whole dang province. An MLA with leadership aspirations? Someone please give this guy a complete lobotomy. This is not an inane argument.........what's inane is the suggestion.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I agree. But going on Central Time........somebody actually thinks that is something that should be considered? Eliminate Mountain Time entirely............a Conservative MLA near the Sask border thinks this is good for the whole dang province. An MLA with leadership aspirations? Someone please give this guy a complete lobotomy. This is not an inane argument.........what's inane is the suggestion.
I agree with you. I don't understand why we would go to Central time. That is really kind of out there. However my inane comment was not targeted at those that disagree with the DST solution or not. Nor even to the Central time suggestion, but to those that are upset that the NDP spend time on anything other than a single topic. That suggestion is inane.

But going to Central Time? What!?! That is just dumb. We'd be better off going to Eastern Time, at least then we'd be in synch with the center of the world. (TO). And please, I don't think we should. I'm being facetious.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
I agree with you. I don't understand why we would go to Central time. That is really kind of out there. However my inane comment was not targeted at those that disagree with the DST solution or not. Nor even to the Central time suggestion, but to those that are upset that the NDP spend time on anything other than a single topic. That suggestion is inane.

But going to Central Time? What!?! That is just dumb. We'd be better off going to Eastern Time, at least then we'd be in synch with the center of the world. (TO). And please, I don't think we should. I'm being facetious.
Does it really matter what time we go to? We could go to any time and be out of sync with the rest of the the world. Somewhere. We might as well move to an advantageous time that can be appreciated by the most people as long as we are deigning to change time to begin with.

B.C. should go up an hour, too, and then we could all feel good about changing. And the universe would still make sense. Kind of.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Going to Central Time year round would mean we would be on DST year round.

Furthermore, the decision to implement DST in Alberta was asked in a province wide plebiscite during the general election of 1967. It was REJECTED by a narrow margin.

It was then asked again in the general election of 1971, which it PASSED by a wide margin.

It would be interesting to hear from some within this forum that were around at that time, why they voted the way they did.

Now, the real question is, do we need the same plebiscite in order to get rid of it and move to Central Time (permanently on daylight savings time).
Old 12-15-2016, 11:53 PM

I know one of the issues is with kids walking to school, and being dropped off. Without the time roll back they'd be walking or getting dropped off in the dark. Creates a safety concern if you've ever been around a school first thing in the morning. Just leave the DST alone, it's been working this long why change it?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Every jurisdiction I deal with has daylight savings time, so we are ALWAYS an hour difference from Houston or Chicago, and two hours difference from Toronto or New York. Who the hell has to coordinate meeting times with SASKATCHEWAN???????? Leave it as is.
You will have to coordinate when your company moves you and its HQ to Regina.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
As opposed to all the money we save with this gov't doing stuff most Albertans do not want.

Was there a single mention of DST, the farm safety bill, ignoring child services etc in their campaign?
I'm not defending the NDP Redfrog. I am saying governments are in place to make decisions, not to hold referendums on every issue they face. Should've they had a referendum to decide what to do in Fort Mac this year? I mean helping Fort Mac wasn't in their campaign promises.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I know one of the issues is with kids walking to school, and being dropped off. Without the time roll back they'd be walking or getting dropped off in the dark. Creates a safety concern if you've ever been around a school first thing in the morning. Just leave the DST alone, it's been working this long why change it?
My kids go to school in the dark right now. It has never worked. It has worked much better without it a lot longer.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I'm not defending the NDP Redfrog. I am saying governments are in place to make decisions, not to hold referendums on every issue they face. Should've they had a referendum to decide what to do in Fort Mac this year? I mean helping Fort Mac wasn't in their campaign promises.
I agree there should not be referenda for every gov't decision. If there had been one on Ft Mac fire protection/fighting I think it would have said don't fire the fire guys.

Carbon tax is not something Albertans are clamouring for, as a matter of fact I can't name an NDP policy move that is being demanded. I have however seen some that definitely are detested. So which decisions were they put in place to implement?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I agree there should not be referenda for every gov't decision. If there had been one on Ft Mac fire protection/fighting I think it would have said don't fire the fire guys.

Carbon tax is not something Albertans are clamouring for, as a matter of fact I can't name an NDP policy move that is being demanded. I have however seen some that definitely are detested. So which decisions were they put in place to implement?
I think that maybe 40% of Albertans are masochistic, and really enjoy getting their junk stepped on?

You wouldn't happen to know a safe word, do you??

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
If Alberta joins Sask and doesn't change with the world you will find the time change affects you more than just setting your clock twice a year,

Trust me you will notice a difference
My brother lives in Dawson Creek and their time never changes. Doesn't bother him any.
Or did I miss something in your comment?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
My kids go to school in the dark right now. It has never worked. It has worked much better without it a lot longer.
Its dark but you can still see. Sunrise at worst right now is at 8:50, and its usually starting to get brighter up 30 minutes before that. Kids usually start school at 8:30, so you can do the math. You don't change it and its not starting to brighten up until 9:20 during the worst part of winter. I don't want to see kids getting hit in chaotic school zones in the morning. Leave it as it, theres literally no reason to change it.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Its dark but you can still see. Sunrise at worst right now is at 8:50, and its usually starting to get brighter up 30 minutes before that. Kids usually start school at 8:30, so you can do the math. You don't change it and its not starting to brighten up until 9:20 during the worst part of winter. I don't want to see kids getting hit in chaotic school zones in the morning. Leave it as it, theres literally no reason to change it.
Yeah the carnage at the school zones in Saskatchewan is unbelievable in the winter months.

Stay on MST year round, drop DST. Once again Saskatchewan is leading the way. Brad Wall and no DST. A lot to be learned from Saskatchewan.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
My brother lives in Dawson Creek and their time never changes. Doesn't bother him any.
Or did I miss something in your comment?
I lived in Sask for many years the time change doesn't bother me one way or another having gone through with and without time change in my OPINION its more noticeable if you don't change.
In my situation being retired I'm reminded of the scene in easy rider where capt America and Billy throw away their watch's because they aren't on anybody's schedule but their own.
I fish when its light I don't care what time it is
On the other hand other than people complaining about changing clocks twice a year I still haven't heard a valid point for not changing with the rest of the world.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I lived in Sask for many years the time change doesn't bother me one way or another having gone through with and without time change in my OPINION its more noticeable if you don't change.
In my situation being retired I'm reminded of the scene in easy rider where capt America and Billy throw away their watch's because they aren't on anybody's schedule but their own.
I fish when its light I don't care what time it is
On the other hand other than people complaining about changing clocks twice a year I still haven't heard a valid point for not changing with the rest of the world.
The increase in heart attacks and car accidents in the spring is a pretty good reason ..... little more weighty than a TV schedule
Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
The increase in heart attacks and car accidents in the spring is a pretty good reason ..... little more weighty than a TV schedule
Is that just your imagination or do you have some facts to back that up?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 AM

I can't believe people are even debating this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 07:47 AM

I certainly can, but what is amazing to me is that it has been a fairly civil discussion - I am actually enjoying reading this thread !
Cat
Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Is that just your imagination or do you have some facts to back that up?
Heart attacks

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA2S0D420140329

Car wrecks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980

Quick Google search. Give it a try first 2 articles I found. Gotta run to work.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I can't believe people are even debating this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? Have you never paid attention .....we will debate anything lol
Old 12-17-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Heart attacks

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA2S0D420140329

Car wrecks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980

Quick Google search. Give it a try first 2 articles I found. Gotta run to work.
Actually the highest rates for accidents, heart attacks and work place incidents are on Mondays by coincidence the same work day after time change.
Maybe we should eliminate Monday? all those in favour raise your hand
Old 12-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
My kids are getting to school at 7:55ish. Like I said earlier, in the dark.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
A few have been mentioned. Kids routines are thrown out more-so when we "spring ahead". Being teased with daylight and having it taken away really messes with seasonal depression. Only about half of the nations on earth observe it. It actually messes with dairy production. I think there would be some (tiny actually) savings on government spending as night shift people get paid an extra hour of OT twice a year; many government shift workers.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:28 AM

At one time in my life I didn't need to pay attention to a clock, I paid attention the the sunrise- sunset .
I never **** an animal wearing a watch either .
Quite often I have heard of deer changing their patterns because they are coming in earlier than later but more often than not it is only because that is their bilologicsl clock working,not a mechanical piece that was man made .

What is that story about the an Indian chief stating that only the white man could cut the bottom off a blanket,sew it onto the top and tell someone it was longer??
Cat