Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
What if the battery dies?

I keep my phone fully charged before leaving my house as I also use my phone to review depth charts and gps locations. I carry a fish cam and a spat usually and I cut the ends off of a cheap car charger and put alligator clips on it so I can charge my phone on the ice. I also have a soft pack tackle box that had a small stereo in it and hooks to my phone. Rediculous I know I've been told but I like gadgets.

Besides it's my responsibility to carry my licence so I take precautions to know that it is charged.

There are lots of what ifs. What if it's in your wallet and you lose it. What if it's in your cell phone case and your kid tosses it down the lake. What if your table box pops out of the quad trailer on a rough ride in and you don't notice.

I'm not a lawyer but according to the regulations I don't see why this would be invalid as I have met all of their requirements. Heck if a officer wanted a copy of it emailed to him I'm willing to shoot him a copy lol

I would love to make this argument to an officer but I've never had to. Mostly I find its how you approach people that counts when dealing with this situations or and about. Respect will get you a long way.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Ezm good point I should look up the actual act. If I'm wrong ill admit it. Maybe there is something in there. I'm not even saying I would challenge it in court with my cheesy puffed out. I was simply stating the facts as I know them. But you are right I should definitely look up the actual act. Maybe I'm way off. But I have used it and it wasn't ever a big deal.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Ezm good point I should look up the actual act. If I'm wrong ill admit it. Maybe there is something in there. I'm not even saying I would challenge it in court with my cheesy puffed out. I was simply stating the facts as I know them. But you are right I should definitely look up the actual act. Maybe I'm way off. But I have used it and it wasn't ever a big deal.
HaHaHa! Your autocorrect chose CHEESY over CHEST.

Or maybe you meant to go into court with a puffed cheesy,, if this is the case, at least bring a bag and share it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 PM

K

What if it(your phone) gets wet, dropped down the hole, stepped on etc.? Hope you got a paper licence for back up or another phone.

I buy on line print out a bunch of copies. Leave one home(so what) drop down hole as you suggested(so what). I still have several copies to show the fish cop.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM

You aren't fishing without your rods....put them in the hollow butt stocks of your rods, always right at hand so to speak.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
K

What if it(your phone) gets wet, dropped down the hole, stepped on etc.? Hope you got a paper licence for back up or another phone.

I buy on line print out a bunch of copies. Leave one home(so what) drop down hole as you suggested(so what). I still have several copies to show the fish cop.

What happens when your paper license gets wet, dropped down the hole, stepped on etc.

I think putting it on your phone is a stroke of genius and what reason could there be to argue that? The guy hasn't had an issue and is willing to deal with it if he does...get off his back.

The license itself is presented electronically, and if you sign it on paper or on a screen who gives a crap? Its the same damn thing.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I said I used it twice 5 posts above yours. No biggie I'm guilty of skipping over stuff when I want to reply to something.

I haven't revised their process. As I stated earlier there is nothing in the law book against it. There also isn't anything staying I need a physical copy. The government provides all of us with am electronic copy I didn't make the document. The government requires you to sign said document a requirement I fulfilled. Signing for a parcel at the post office protected by federal law is much more serious than a boarding pass I air you and our very own government uses a device to collect electronic signatures which you have the option to opt out of and sign a papery copy should you choose to do so. All of my documentation including the incorporation of my company which is a provincial matter is signed electronically. The government also does not provide a way for me to electronically sign those documents either nor store them. I'm responsible for that in the same way I would be responsible to supply a pen and a filling system of some sorry if I chose to keep paper copies. You also state I have altered the document they have provided which also isn't true if I did I would be guilty of fraud and held liable if I was caught. I signed in the provided area. I didn't sleet the numbers or any other making on the document.

Your argument is invalid.
I don't see a problem with your pov. It may stand up in court.
I've seen lesser arguments get some agreement from the judge.

However, some "cheesy" crown prosecutor might pull out some Documents or Registries and licenses Act and pull some hooey out of there.
To be rock solid, in our court, you could make your argument as you have posted, and if you had anything to back up your argument out of the other noted acts, you could have some fun. Sounds like it would be an educational way to spend an afternoon in a courthouse.
Seriously, it would be neat to see everyone's argument in a court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
I thought this might be a fun thread.

Where do you keep your license? As a female I don't lug my giant wallet and purse out with me. I keep a copy folded up behind my smart phone in between the case which always comes with me. I've heard of people printing out multiple copies and putting one in tackle box, wallet, etc. How do you ensure you have your license on you?
Exact same place for mine.
I just opened my new otterbox delivered today by fed ex.
My license just went back in.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM

This was meant to be a fun thread no need for arguing here... Personally I think what Tyler does is reasonable. Each to their own. If he gets a fined because of it it's his problem not ours. He already said it was accepted by two COs. I can't see anybody except the crankiest ones having an issue if paper copy is technically required.

Anyway, I like the idea of putting one in the flyvest. Ill be sure to do that for this season! In the wader pocket would be good too.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
What happens when your paper license gets wet, dropped down the hole, stepped on etc.
Answered in my previous post - please read again

I think putting it on your phone is a stroke of genius and what reason could there be to argue that? The guy hasn't had an issue and is willing to deal with it if he does...get off his back.
Never said he shouldn't now did I? Now get off my back!

The license itself is presented electronically, and if you sign it on paper or on a screen who gives a crap? Its the same damn thing.
Just sayin advantage paper!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
This was meant to be a fun thread no need for arguing here... Personally I think what Tyler does is reasonable. Each to their own. If he gets a fined because of it it's his problem not ours. He already said it was accepted by two COs. I can't see anybody except the crankiest ones having an issue if paper copy is technically required.

Anyway, I like the idea of putting one in the flyvest. Ill be sure to do that for this season! In the wader pocket would be good too.
Oh ya, just dust off my idea like it meant nothing.....

Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Oh ya, just dust off my idea like it meant nothing.....

Sorry if I offended you? Im very confused. Wasn't trying to brush off your idea just making conversation. Anyway I really like your idea with the rod too!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you? Im very confused. Wasn't trying to brush off your idea just making conversation. Anyway I really like your idea with the rod too!
Just joking....don't be too sorry I can be a jerk sometimes.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:20 PM

I would feel 100% confident with just a signed E-copy stored in my phone.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
HaHaHa! Your autocorrect chose CHEESY over CHEST.

Or maybe you meant to go into court with a puffed cheesy,, if this is the case, at least bring a bag and share it.

haha nice stupid phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
K

life's full of what ifs but personally I'm ok with it. There is always the ability to prove you have a license later at worst resulting in a failure to produce. I can understand why some people might not be comfortable with it.

Quote:

Thanks no big deal this is actually forcing me to learn a lot.

So I went and read the act and if I'm not mistaken each act enforces the one below it so the regulations are actually the lowest out of all acts but is in itself the law on fishing so long as it does not contradict a previous act that empowers it. Very interesting stuff. I found three acts you can read them here and they aren't that big so if you're interested I would recommend it. Some things in there may surprise you, for example did you know that any seized items do not become property of the crown until you pay your voluntary fine. Unless mandated by a court of law. Cool stuff.

Turns out licence had no definition that I could find pertaining to it being printed. It is referred to add whatever is issued by the government to you but that said licence can carry is own terms and conditions. I checked my licence and nothing on there about it being printed to be valid. The website states that you can print your licence not that you must.

I'm pretty sure my argument would be solid. Unless there is some crazy law that can be enforced that is part of an act that grants these acts their power.

Also the only challenge I laid down, and by challenge I mean your liberal use of hyperbole , was to the original poster who proclaimed as if the king of Canada THAT'S ILLEGAL lol as which means if that "challenge" was your only reason for posting you were as I'll informed as the one who made the proclamation that it's illegal.

I've made my case perhaps either of you would care to present your argument? Maybe I missed something in the act?

Last edited by TylerThomson; 01-06-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Large Freezer Zip Lock bag in a zipper mesh pouch on my tackle bag. Also has my regs book in there. Can't fish without my tackle

Cheers
Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 PM

Isn't it just as easy (or easier) to print, sign, and have it on your person?

Be careful about what sort of documents you put in your phone and produce to law enforcement...they can be seized indefinitely as evidence...

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
haha nice stupid phone.

life's full of what ifs but personally I'm ok with it. There is always the ability to prove you have a license later at worst resulting in a failure to produce. I can understand why some people might not be comfortable with it.

Thanks no big deal this is actually forcing me to learn a lot.

So I went and read the act and if I'm not mistaken each act enforces the one below it so the regulations are actually the lowest out of all acts but is in itself the law on fishing so long as it does not contradict a previous act that empowers it. Very interesting stuff. I found three acts you can read them here and they aren't that big so if you're interested I would recommend it. Some things in there may surprise you, for example did you know that any seized items do not become property of the crown until you pay your voluntary fine. Unless mandated by a court of law. Cool stuff.

Turns out licence had no definition that I could find pertaining to it being printed. It is referred to add whatever is issued by the government to you but that said licence can carry is own terms and conditions. I checked my licence and nothing on there about it being printed to be valid. The website states that you can print your licence not that you must.

I'm pretty sure my argument would be solid. Unless there is some crazy law that can be enforced that is part of an act that grants these acts their power.

Also the only challenge I laid down, and by challenge I mean your liberal use of hyperbole , was to the original poster who proclaimed as if the king of Canada THAT'S ILLEGAL lol as which means if that "challenge" was your only reason for posting you were as I'll informed as the one who made the proclamation that it's illegal.

I've made my case perhaps either of you would care to present your argument? Maybe I missed something in the act?
There's some good reading there hey?
Interesting when you actually decide to read the acts.
You are right about one overruling the other.

Just like the documents act? I think that what it is. It is quoted in the tsa when it talks about enforcement equipment. Basically says any document produced by the crown is believed to be accurate in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

Anyway... You're right whitefish lady Interesting to see the direction of the thread it IS fun.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

I think that is what allows them to collect their fines and seal a conviction against someone upon payment of a fine based solely on an officers account of what happened without any physical evidence otherwise their jobs would be much tougher. It basically puts the burden of proof on the accused in a court of law.

I've read the highway traffic act before well parts of it anyway so pretty neat stuff in there to. It's why I have both a personal and commercial registration on my welding truck. I'll leave the reason as to why I have dual registration up to your imagination haha.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Isn't it just as easy (or easier) to print, sign, and have it on your person?

Be careful about what sort of documents you put in your phone and produce to law enforcement...they can be seized indefinitely as evidence...

LC
I don't own a printer because I don't need one and I run my own business. Cool hey. Way less paper to store when you go paperless. So I would have to go and get them printed. Then I have to store them and physically track my licence Or I can directly download my licence and sign it in under 30 seconds.

As far a seizure goes they can only seize something in the event of an offence and at that point the can seize anything they think pertains to the offence. ANYTHING. With the exception of a private residence. So irregardless of what's on my phone they can seize it if I commit an offence. Even then it doesn't become their property unless I pay the fine admitting guilt or it is ordered taken from me by a court.

Besides with how the world works today keeping anything truly sensitive in your phone is foolish. All my important information is stored at home and on my personal server I have installed owncloud on. I can snag this phone to dust and be up and running with all my info again in less than a day.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM

Just making a point because not everyone safeguards the safeguards they have on their safeguards....

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM

In my wallet for 40 years

but I have lost my wallet a few times and once had 60 days to produce which I did

I can get a duplicate for the fee at any time

David
Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckle55 View Post
in my wallet for 40 years

but i have lost my wallet a few times and once had 60 days to produce which i did

I can get a duplicate for the fee at any time

david

Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
You aren't fishing without your rods....put them in the hollow butt stocks of your rods, always right at hand so to speak.
I have one in all of the usual places.....tackle box, life jacket etc, but I like that one. Now I have another spot!

Oh, and another thing. I would NOT go into any court with your cheesy puffed out.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 PM

Wow! 53 posts and no one has invoked memory of Pappilon yet? If you kept your fishing license where ol' Pappy kept his money (or was it his shiv?), the LEO would only ask to see your license once. After that he would likely just nod to you and continue on his merry way.

Don't get what I'm talking about? Go google it. LOL

Actually, considering the thread direction I'm surprised some of the contributors did not receive this direction earlier (i.e. what they could do with their fishing license).

For the record, I have always carried mine in my wallet. It is totally faded and illegible now and other print has transferred to it from an adjacent document. Off to get a replacement.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 01-07-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned

OK Tyler I will play along with you...

The regs state you must carry your license at all times while sport fishing or transporting fish.

No it does not say that it has to be a paper copy.

However that is what it is referring to when it talks about being printed.
Call it your proof of purchase.

It does not say an electronic version is acceptable, so it is inferred that this must be in paper form and in your possession.

So I'll play the part of the CO.

You'll give me your argument and I'll request you produce the printed copy. As you fail to do so and go into your rant about how that it is on your smart phone and that that should be acceptable, I will reiterate it to you once again that the regs are referring to a printed copy. You'll keep insisting that you are right maybe even mock me, what ever.

There is probably a lot I can do at this point, but I am going to give you the ticket anyways for fishing with out a license.
I don't see you with any caught fish so I'll just give you that and I will tell you that you are done for the day and tell you to come back when you have the printed copy. You'll be mad, threating lawsuits, want me to call my boss ( who is unavailable by the way) you'll make a big stink all the while packing up your stuff and driving away.

Now you'll want to fight it.

So off to court we go.

As much as going to court is a pain for me, it is considered OT and I get paid well for it.

You will have to take a day off from work and possibly lose a days pay, plus driving and parking expenses. (Remember I get paid, and my expenses are covered)

In the courtroom before the judge you'll be able to state your case and make your arguments.

I'll be there in a clean uniform looking professional. I will have all of my notes.
I'll explain my side. I'll let the judge know you were duly informed. You were argumentative but did indeed leave when I told you too.

The judge will consider everything and in the end you'll have to pay the fine upon leaving the courthouse anyway.

Seems like a lot of hassle that can be avoided by carrying a piece of paper.

Last edited by ETOWNCANUCK; 01-07-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
OK Tyler I will play along with you...

The regs state you must carry your license at all times while sport fishing or transporting fish.

No it does not say that it has to be a paper copy.

However that is what it is referring to when it talks about being printed.
Call it your proof of purchase.

It does not say an electronic version is acceptable, so it is inferred that this must be in paper form and in your possession.

So I'll play the part of the CO.

You'll give me your argument and I'll request you produce the printed copy. As you fail to do so and go into your rant about how that it is on your smart phone and that that should be acceptable, I will reiterate it to you once again that the regs are referring to a printed copy. You'll keep insisting that you are right maybe even mock me, what ever.

There is probably a lot I can do at this point, but I am going to give you the ticket anyways for fishing with out a license.
I don't see you with any caught fish so I'll just give you that and I will tell you that you are done for the day and tell you to come back when you have the printed copy. You'll be mad, threating lawsuits, want me to call my boss ( who is unavailable by the way) you'll make a big stink all the while packing up your stuff and driving away.

Now you'll want to fight it.

So off to court we go.

As much as going to court is a pain for me, it is considered OT and I get paid well for it.

You will have to take a day off from work and possibly lose a days pay, plus driving and parking expenses. (Remember I get paid, and my expenses are covered)

In the courtroom before the judge you'll be able to state your case and make your arguments.

I'll be there in a clean uniform looking professional. I will have all of my notes.
I'll explain my side. I'll let the judge know you were duly informed. You were argumentative but did indeed leave when I told you too.

The judge will consider everything and in the end you'll have to pay the fine upon leaving the courthouse anyway.

Seems like a lot of hassle that can be avoided by carrying a piece of paper.
You are making two assumptions. The first is that a licence is at some point referred to as being printed. It's not it is only ever referred to as the licence that is issued to whoever by the government. When you are issued your licence online it is in a pdf format. That is your licence. You refer to a printed version of said licence as a copy yourself in your story above.

Your second assumption is that I would treat a wildlife officer in the manner you describe. If he says I'm wrong that's fine that is him trying to do his job. Ultimately yes he can issue me a citation with a voluntary payment option. If I pay that I admit guilt case closed. However I can choose to challenge it in court. Now if this officers interaction with me was positive and he wrote me a ticket simply because he was doing his job and wad unclear on the interpretation of it we can deal with that there and I bet he might even try to help me out.

I learned a long time ago you don't start a fight with a guy with a gun. lol so if I got to pack up till I can settle the matter that's fine. The officer is in charge but it doesn't make him right.

Did you even bother to read the acts? Just so you know inferences don't stand up in court which is why laws are written so meticulously even going so far as to define words of possible contention within the acts themselves. Ever defended yourself over a trivial matter in court because I have. It was a pretty neat experience. worked out in my favour as well not to say that this would but unless someone has an actual argument to make refuting the facts of the discussion and not story telling and hyperbole then you are wasting your breath. Back up your claims with proof of some sort.

Last edited by TylerThomson; 01-07-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Banned

Ok inferences no maybe not but interpretation yes.

I have read the regs and acts and they state that it must be carried with you at all times. Seeing as how when they are issued at some place like say Wholesale Sports. It is printed.
When it is purchased online it says to print it out.

The interpretation would be that this is carried in a paper form.

You wanted someone to play and back up their claim. I have done so.

Your move.

And i don't doubt you wouldn't be respectable with a CO I just used that style as an example to voice my argument.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 AM

I signed mine and then took a photo of it which is stored on phone. Phone then goes in waterproof container which floats when on a lake. Hard copies are stored in a ziplock bag on the boat along with the girlfriends licenses as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Given that the government has not yet enabled a way for you to electronically sign and store the document, how do you think they have approved your revision to their process? You have manipulated the document to sign and store it, but it's not your process to vary. It isn't an Air Canada electronic boarding pass that the Airline enables you to use.

You say you haven't had any trouble. Have you actually shown your electronic copy when asked to produce? Sounds like this is a good question for the "Ask ESreD" section in AO Magazine.
I have been asked numerous times with no issues
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM

The guy arguing with me has actually persuaded me. It makes sense. On my next trip out of the country I'm just carrying a scan of my passport on my phone. That should be good enough.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Print off 7 or 8 copies online. Physically sign them all then laminate. Copy in each tackle box, wallet, boat and in glove box of truck.