Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM

Default 62% in Favour in 1971 Referendum.

No one wants to mention or maybe they do not know that a referendum was held in an August 1971 provincial election and 62% of the voters were in favour of DST. DST was introduced in the spring of 1972.

There would have to be another referendum held to let Alberta voters and not the NDP decide if they want or do not want DST. The referendum result would likely be the same as those in 1971 as many people want DST and enjoy DST.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 PM

I'm a firm believer in keeping DST the way it is, I absolutely require that extra hour of daylight during the summer months. I harvest grains though out the high plains and in Alberta, and if we lose the hour that is a extra hour of working in the dark for my crew, thus it becomes a safety issue. Don't tell me that I can have the extra hour of sunlight in the morning because that extra hour is useless at 4am, no business are open for grain delivery then! To me losing the hour becomes a safety issue of working in the dark longer, and Bill 6 paints me as the one that is not concerned about my employees safety. Did any of the NDP consider any safety concerns of lack of morning light in the winter, probably not! DST works in our geographical region of the world because of the sheer size of our province from North to South. If we do rid ourselves of DST and stay on our current time and never move the clock again it would keep our evening daylight how we are used to it but it makes the Northern part of our province dark during the morning winter hours until close to 10am. To me this is just one more thing the NDP can say they changed for the bettering of Alberta, that's in their point of view. I don't believe for one minute the 20 year old NDP MLA Dang has heard from numerous farmers and ranchers in his urban seat that livestock are affected by DST, just outright nonsense!! NDP have just found a way where they can F..k with time and tell us it will be good for us.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM

They do whatever they want.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I think the only real issue the NDP has is with the word "SAVING".
They would rather 'Daylight wasting' or 'Daylight loosing'.
Maybe "daylight getting ****ed away time"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X1000 So true, its humorous.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Oilers and Flames have come out against any change. Stick a fork in this initiative.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncutn View Post
I'm a firm believer in keeping DST the way it is, I absolutely require that extra hour of daylight during the summer months. I harvest grains though out the high plains and in Alberta, and if we lose the hour that is a extra hour of working in the dark for my crew, thus it becomes a safety issue. Don't tell me that I can have the extra hour of sunlight in the morning because that extra hour is useless at 4am, no business are open for grain delivery then! To me losing the hour becomes a safety issue of working in the dark longer, and Bill 6 paints me as the one that is not concerned about my employees safety. Did any of the NDP consider any safety concerns of lack of morning light in the winter, probably not! DST works in our geographical region of the world because of the sheer size of our province from North to South. If we do rid ourselves of DST and stay on our current time and never move the clock again it would keep our evening daylight how we are used to it but it makes the Northern part of our province dark during the morning winter hours until close to 10am. To me this is just one more thing the NDP can say they changed for the bettering of Alberta, that's in their point of view. I don't believe for one minute the 20 year old NDP MLA Dang has heard from numerous farmers and ranchers in his urban seat that livestock are affected by DST, just outright nonsense!! NDP have just found a way where they can F..k with time and tell us it will be good for us.
Citiot Dippers cannot comprehend this. People want the sun to rise earlier (they don't know when it rises now lol) Then there is the crowd that takes 6 months to get over a one hour shift in time. Then there is that backwater town close to the border that wants to effect time change all over the province just so it doesn't inconvenience them. Oh well..............governed by the people or governed by the gov't...........you can't fix stupid when it's rampant everywhere.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Well, it's just the beginning of August and the DST haters would have the majority of Albertans experiencing sunset now at an earlier - just 8 - 8:30 pm!

As it is, because of DST the sun now sets one hour later at around 9 - 9:30 pm.

Even though I was up at 4:45 am today and the sunrise here was around 6 am today, I would not have used a 5 am sunrise. Therefore, I still far prefer the DST's gift to me of long sun lit evenings. I use that time well.

So the NDP's proposal is just fine with me. It addresses the easily irritable complainers without causing me the loss of my enjoyment of our summers.

I think all those DST complainers that just wanted to do away with DST and have 1 hour earlier sunrises and 1 hour earlier sunsets are crazy.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM

i'll start with saying i hate the NDP , but their plan is to switch us to central time permanantly , and get rid of the time change . i wouldnt mind coming home from work with the sun still up in the winter.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 AM

Just dumping DST to get rid of the time changes would mean that today sunset would come an hour earlier - at say just 7:25 pm and not the current 8:25 pm.* To me summer is all about longer days of sun shine - and I measure that as late sunsets, not early am sunrises while I'm either still sleeping or getting ready for the day.

So adopting the new time zone when dumping DST, is critical in my mind to keeping more light in the evenings, plus as stated above, it will give us more light in the evenings all fall and winter. That might be nice!

* varies around the province. Lloydminster would be 7:17 pm tonight.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 08-29-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Banned

Get rid of the twice a year time change. But as usual the ndp have it backwards. Why not have the "extra" daylight at the end of the day???? Or, is that to complicated?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...t-savings-time
Old 08-29-2017, 12:16 PM

All the folks with no time to turn back a clock but plenty of time to fill out a survey voted to get rid of it. But pretty universally, businesses where time matters are for keeping daylight saving. It's going to cost money and business to change. Albertans aren't stupider than people in any other place. We can turn back our clocks and keep synchronized with pretty much the rest of North America.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Banned

There is no difference in the number of daylight hours in a 24 hour day only the time on a clock humans prefer to set them too. DST is the dumbest notion anyone ever came up with next to the historical vignette that used to run on CBC television at the taxpayers expense telling us all DST was a Canadian invention like I really gave a flying ****?!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
There is no difference in the number of daylight hours in a 24 hour day only the time on a clock humans prefer to set them too. DST is the dumbest notion anyone ever came up with next to the historical vignette that used to run on CBC television at the taxpayers expense telling us all DST was a Canadian invention like I really gave a flying ****?!
I suspect you set your own leisure hours.

My employer, my spouse's employer, the school system, etc set my leisure hours so adding an hour of sunlight to my day before work, just doesn't much help me enjoy it. Or at least not in one continuous stretch.

Now more sunlight - AFTER we all get home - that is sunlight that can use to good effect!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Get rid of the twice a year time change. But as usual the ndp have it backwards. Why not have the "extra" daylight at the end of the day???? Or, is that to complicated?
My understanding is that is exact what the NDP are proposing.

Two parts:

One, eliminate the DST's twice a year time change task (which I suspect is what DST gating people actually hate about DST) and,

Two, lock us in all year round to the presently used DST time shift by adopting what I think is called Central Time thus keeping the late sunsets we now get via DST during our summers (which I suspect is what DST hating people actually might like about DST and would miss if DST was simply abandoned without a change in zone).

I'm not sure if the people voting all knew or thought much about what the NDP proposal was exactly, other than that it promised to eliminate that twice a year clock resetting hassle and sleep disturbance.

Just getting rid of DST alone, would cost us the loss of 1 hour of evening sunlight (by the clock) through spring and summer.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 08-29-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Just dumping DST to get rid of the time changes would mean that today sunset would come an hour earlier - at say just 7:25 pm and not the current 8:25 pm.* To me summer is all about longer days of sun shine - and I measure that as late sunsets, not early am sunrises while I'm either still sleeping or getting ready for the day.

So adopting the new time zone when dumping DST, is critical in my mind to keeping more light in the evenings, plus as stated above, it will give us more light in the evenings all fall and winter. That might be nice!

* varies around the province. Lloydminster would be 7:17 pm tonight.
Exactly right, totally agree.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/referen...ttee-1.3587257

I voted NO in their poll.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Me too. I don't want to see 10:30am sunrises and 2:30 sunsets in the winter if it's scrapped.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM

This whole thing confuses the hell out of me.

If I understand it was brought in in 1972?

If so I reckon it was the same demographic that voted it in that now wants it gone.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:16 PM

The Urban Areas voted it in so they could get off work and have more time with daylight in the evenings.
The Rural Areas voted no.
A few of the places we dealt with in Medicine Hat and Lethbridge use to start at 7:00 Am and done at 3:00 Pm. Once we knew what we were doing it didn't bother us one way or the other.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 09-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Wow.... The Province is going to !!!! in a hand basket and on fire.
This is what they worry about???

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Should we let the sun set on daylight saving time?

Yes 3690 (66 %)
No 1907 (34 %)
Total number of votes: 5597
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Reminds me of a funny native saying:
Only a white man would cut 6 inches off of one end of a blanket and sew it on the other end and think he has a longer blanket.

I don't think it would affect my schedule except I would have no excuse for being an hour late for work in the fall backwards time change.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
If everybody in both countries abolishes DLST it would work just fine, however Saskatchewan not changing creates problems for business and its a lot more noticeable if the whole world changes and you don't.
The most noticeable is your TV schedule changes, the friends and family you normally phone at certain times need to be changed.
I was in Regina this morning at 9 AM it was still dark, I remember working construction and waiting for light to start work lots of hours wasted.
Thank you for giving us all the perspective from a province that has abolished DST. It affects so much more then just sleep.