Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM

Am I reading the news articles incorrectly? Seems like the guy who ended up surviving was the first to be abandoned by his ‘friend’?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Man there are some sad excuses for human beings on this tread. LOL
Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I'm sure he can explain himself.

I knew a few would be would be triggered by leaving the photo with no comment, as though it was some kind of an anti-gay thing. I even had other posts written because I knew that its the type of thing one simply cannot leave un-explained in the current social climate. So I did just that anyways. But then that's the nature of anything these days, isn't it? Post something, someone automatically interprets it in the worst way possible and then one has to explain oneself because of hypersensitivity to various 'untouchable' classes of people. I'll explain that I consider every type of person equally open for comment be it positive or negative, I won't hold back because of ethnicity or sexuality, though of course such comments will be based on their actions rather than simply "Hey look at that awful "(insert bigoted comment here)!" . I'm scornful of people who are hateful, but at the same time that doesn't mean people who are obviously different should not be criticized exactly the same as anyone else.

Anyways, one look at those two and its a fair bet that they'd both fold faster than Superman on laundry day. The community they're obviously from (not just referring to the gay community, but the whole urban Seattle hipster set too) is notoriously anti-firearms and these two ventured into the woods under-equipped both in terms of tools (no bear spray, knife/machete/axe, functional communication device) and quite likely a rather naïve attitude towards wilderness and wildlife alike. Lets be honest, when looking at those pics with no written reference to their birth gender, people would be guessing "are those feminine men, or masculine women?"

There are some extremely tough & capable gay people, both men and women alike, these 2 are pretty easy to spot as not being among them. Its really tragic this happened, and I'm not cheering for the one fellows death or the other fellows injury, but man, people have to drop the Disney goggles when it comes to venturing out into mother nature. When it comes to Darwin's law of survival of the fittest, its extremely blind and balanced when it comes to things such as gender, ethnicity or sexuality, it solely focuses on capability. That's the gist of my commentary, others can feel free to go wild with their inferences claiming otherwise for all I care.

I liked KGB's post about advising his daughters group on outdoors safety, that's the basis of the naivety and dismissiveness of the youthful urbanite that I was getting at. Their obvious gayness is inconsequential, though it does peg them quite squarely in the aforementioned Seattle hipster demographic.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-23-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Further, a cougar is fully capable of dispatching an elk with little trouble. A human, man, woman, other would stand no chance.
The Star

CTV News

National Post

Independent
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I knew a few would be would be triggered by leaving the photo with no comment, as though it was some kind of an anti-gay thing. I even had other posts written because I knew that its the type of thing one simply cannot leave un-explained in the current social climate. So I did just that anyways. But then that's the nature of anything these days, isn't it? Post something, someone automatically interprets it in the worst way possible and then one has to explain oneself because of hypersensitivity to various 'untouchable' classes of people. I'll explain that I consider every type of person equally open for comment be it positive or negative, I won't hold back because of ethnicity or sexuality, though of course such comments will be based on their actions rather than simply "Hey look at that awful "(insert bigoted comment here)!" . I'm scornful of people who are hateful, but at the same time that doesn't mean people who are obviously different should not be criticized exactly the same as anyone else.

Anyways, one look at those two and its a fair bet that they'd both fold faster than Superman on laundry day. The community they're obviously from (not just referring to the gay community, but the whole urban Seattle hipster set too) is notoriously anti-firearms and these two ventured into the woods under-equipped both in terms of tools (no bear spray, knife/machete/axe, functional communication device) and quite likely a rather naïve attitude towards wilderness and wildlife alike. Lets be honest, when looking at those pics with no written reference to their birth gender, people would be guessing "are those feminine men, or masculine women?"

There are some extremely tough & capable gay people, both men and women alike, these 2 are pretty easy to spot as not being among them. Its really tragic this happened, and I'm not cheering for the one fellows death or the other fellows injury, but man, people have to drop the Disney goggles when it comes to venturing out into mother nature. When it comes to Darwin's law of survival of the fittest, its extremely blind and balanced when it comes to things such as ethnicity or sexuality, it solely focuses on capability.

I liked KGB's post about advising his daughters group on outdoors safety, that's the basis of the naivety and dismissiveness of the youthful urbanite that I was getting at. Their obvious gayness is inconsequential, though it does peg them quite squarely in the aforementioned Seattle hipster demographic.
Personally, one thing I've learned in life is you can't judge someone by their looks.
Condolences to their Family and friends. I don't wish this on anyone and I don't think they need to read stupid posts.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:

There are some extremely tough & capable gay people, both men and women alike, these 2 are pretty easy to spot as not being among them. Its really tragic this happened, and I'm not cheering for the one fellows death or the other fellows injury, but man, people have to drop the Disney goggles when it comes to venturing out into mother nature. When it comes to Darwin's law of survival of the fittest, its extremely blind and balanced when it comes to things such as gender, ethnicity or sexuality, it solely focuses on capability. That's the gist of my commentary, others can feel free to go wild with their inferences claiming otherwise for all I care.

Not sure why you B.S. is tolerated on this forum but your idiotic insights into the substance of people based upon photos and your guess at sexual orientation are pathetic.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
And two people fighting back instead of one increases the odds of the cougar getting frustrated and giving up.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
There isn't? Damn, thought I had that going for me

Theres two of us? lol

__________________________________________________ _______________

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Not sure why you B.S. is tolerated on this forum but your idiotic insights into the substance of people based upon photos and your guess at sexual orientation are pathetic.
So he should be banned because you don't agree with his opinion? Since I don't agree with that, we are obviously at odds, and since everyone must agree, does that mean you or I are banned?

The local paper ran a clean letter to the editor that alot of people disagree with. The next editorial was essentially "we aren't censoring letters just because you don't agree with them".
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 PM

I knew it would be controversial to post that. I knew people might yell at me as though I was a homophobe or whatnot. I posted it because I had seen it elsewhere and to not contribute it to the discussion meant the discussion was missing something. I thought it would be doing a disservice to 'walk on eggshells' and avoid posting it, even though I knew in advance there would be fireworks.

All humans profile every human they ever meet, over the course of their lives they build up intuition of how to gauge others, some even take classes specifically on doing so. Police profile to spot bad guys, loss prevention officers profile to spot shoplifters, pickpockets profile to spot easy targets, women walking alone profile where is and isn't safe, and on it goes.

Thankfully some common sense prevailed and a few posted examples of how individuals have successfully fought off cougars all by their lonesome. A team of grown men should at least be able to accomplish what a solo person can do, its when teamwork is absent and preparation is non-existent that tragedy happens. Its a simple lesson folks, don't learn it the hard way. The Boy Scouts know it: Be Prepared.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
x2. Lots of slef-described macho man types posting but not one of them knows what they'd do in the event of a wild animal attack. Same guys who would have run into the Florida school with their handguns to easily subdue the shooter I guess. Didn't Trump actually state that that's what HE would have done?
Just got to be smarter than the cat, stand your ground, run, you die.
It’s survival, nothing to do with macho, you blow it that situation or one with a bear, bye, bye.
Having a can of bear spray would most likely would have prevented this.
This ain’t about macho, it’s about common sense.
Humans are slow,most animals will out run us, therefore trying outrun a top predator is just plain STUPID!
This ain’t about mass shootings, get back on track!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Obviously not very determined cougars. They're lucky the cat didn't turn on them instead of going away after a few punches. If a cat means business a man without a weapon isn't likely to win. About the only hope you have if it gets a hold of you is to jamb your fingers in its eyes if your able to.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I knew it would be controversial to post that. I knew people might yell at me as though I was a homophobe or whatnot. I posted it because I had seen it elsewhere and to not contribute it to the discussion meant the discussion was missing something. I thought it would be doing a disservice to 'walk on eggshells' and avoid posting it, even though I knew in advance there would be fireworks.

All humans profile every human they ever meet, over the course of their lives they build up intuition of how to gauge others, some even take classes specifically on doing so. Police profile to spot bad guys, loss prevention officers profile to spot shoplifters, pickpockets profile to spot easy targets, women walking alone profile where is and isn't safe, and on it goes.

Thankfully some common sense prevailed and a few posted examples of how individuals have successfully fought off cougars all by their lonesome. A team of grown men should at least be able to accomplish what a solo person can do, its when teamwork is absent and preparation is non-existent that tragedy happens. Its a simple lesson folks, don't learn it the hard way. The Boy Scouts know it: Be Prepared.
Don’t change to appease the snowflakes, you’re good just the way you are, I enjoy all your posts
Old 05-23-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Just got to be smarter than the cat, stand your ground, run, you die.
It’s survival, nothing to do with macho, you blow it that situation or one with a bear, bye, bye.
Having a can of bear spray would most likely would have prevented this.
This ain’t about macho, it’s about common sense.
Humans are slow,most animals will out run us, therefore trying outrun a top predator is just plain STUPID!
This ain’t about mass shootings, get back on track!
Isn't it fun when people invoke Trump into any completely unrelated conversation? Its come to be an involuntary stutter with many these days...

Q: How about the weather? A: I hate Trump!

Its like Veganism: You don't have to ask, they'll let you know regardless.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Isn't it fun when people invoke Trump into any completely unrelated conversation? Its come to be an involuntary stutter with many these days...

Q: How about the weather? A: I hate Trump!

Its like Veganism: You don't have to ask, they'll let you know regardless.
I would say it's more of aTosserism:

Q: How about that guy who got killed by the cougar? A: YEH, Don't worry about it, I rubbed my Caber and detected he was a *** urbanite that got what was coming.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post

Am I reading the news articles incorrectly? Seems like the guy who ended up surviving was the first to be abandoned by his ‘friend’?

Yup - You got that right!

And the most prolific poster here on this thread (you know who I'm talkin about ),
needs to make sure he doesn't quit his day job.

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 05-23-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I would say it's more of aTosserism:

Q: How about that guy who got killed by the cougar? A: YEH, Don't worry about it, I rubbed my Caber and detected he was a *** urbanite that got what was coming.
Now you're just reaching and drawing out short straws dude, its important to know when to quit.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. But I highly doubt those cougars meant to kill, rather were exploring/playing to see what would happen. I consider myself a fairly tough individual. Been in a few scraps but will openly admit that a fully grown deer, let alone an elk that is almost twice the size, would kick my keester without breaking a sweat. Now... knowing that cougars regularly kill these animals with impunity I don't like my odds. If you think you are capable of stopping a cougar who wants you dead then by all means try, I know I can't.

That being said, I don't let the fear consume me. I grew up all over BC. Walking bear filled salmon rivers, seeing cougar tracks on countless hikes as a kid. Accepted that I could be attacked but never really worried about it.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 PM

Well fellas... Kind of speechless... Closed.
Closed Thread