Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Default Range finders

I have a few questions about the new range finders. I have an older Bushnell, without the ARC system. Quite happy with it, but would like to get into a newer model.
I am a little confused with the different brands, and what they say about the actual horizontal distance. I have read the different web sites and am not sure which brands offer a true horizontal distance, and which ones offer the traditional hold over value whether it be in inches or MOA.
Can someone help me out.
I live nowhere near a metro center so its not just a run to the store to find out.
From what I can make of it;
-Bushnell ARC offers a true value to 99yds for bowhunters, but above that it is a hold over value for rifle hunters.
-Leupold offers the TBR in either holdover (if you have a Leupold scope),or true distance
-Zeiss has a holdover value.
-Nikon offers a true distance.
Above this, my knowledge is limited. I do my hunting in the river valleys, and some mountains so it would be interesting to see if there is a remarkable difference, or only marginal.
Most of my shots are inside 250yds, so I'm not sure if I even need to worry.
If someone can help shed some light on the subject it would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 AM

The new leica 1600 crf seems to be the way to go.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

Swarovski..only rangefinder worth buying..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
I have a few questions about the new range finders. I have an older Bushnell, without the ARC system. Quite happy with it, but would like to get into a newer model.
I am a little confused with the different brands, and what they say about the actual horizontal distance. I have read the different web sites and am not sure which brands offer a true horizontal distance, and which ones offer the traditional hold over value whether it be in inches or MOA.
Can someone help me out.
I live nowhere near a metro center so its not just a run to the store to find out.
From what I can make of it;
-Bushnell ARC offers a true value to 99yds for bowhunters, but above that it is a hold over value for rifle hunters.
-Leupold offers the TBR in either holdover (if you have a Leupold scope),or true distance
-Zeiss has a holdover value.
-Nikon offers a true distance.
Above this, my knowledge is limited. I do my hunting in the river valleys, and some mountains so it would be interesting to see if there is a remarkable difference, or only marginal.

I feel your pain brother and I hope you get some answers, I'll be riding your coat tails for info on this one.
I used a Bushnell 800 for years. Did everything I wanted. Then I broke it, ugh!
We'll jumped all over here by the guys don't like range finders, but I liked mine and want to replace it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 AM

I use Leica myself,and I don't worry about it not having the arc feature.Unless the angles are very steep,or the distances extremely long,the difference isn't significant.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM

I've had Bushnell, Leica, Leupold, Nikon and Zeiss rangefinders. The last three have all had some sort of ballistic distance or hold over system. Unless you are shooting beyond your maximum point black range and very steep angles with a rifle there really isn't much need for the special feature. If you tree stand hunt with a bow the arc feature is more important but I'm in no way qualified to say how important as I don't archery hunt.
I'd go for the highest quality rangefinder that fits your needs. I recently got the combination bino/rangefinder from Zeiss. The elimintation of an extra piece of equipment around the neck is more welcome than most would believe and the quality of the glass in the unit is far beyond anything I've ever used or looked through.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 AM

i bought a bushnell 1500 arc last fall. i really like it. farthest ive ranged was 1200 yrds when i was down in two hills. but , like anything you get what you pay for. the 1500 is in the $550 range. but if i had the cash i would be buying a new zeiss bino with built in ranger.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 AM

http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 AM

leica 1600
Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM

I would recommend a Leupold RX 1000 to you for these reasons. **Not the TBR model**

#1 - Compact
#2 - Great glass
#3 - Quite simple
#4 - Screen is uncluttered *A complaint of the TBR model*
#5 - Price is right
#6 - A unit that has accurate, reliable, and consistent ranging at ranges twice that of which you will shoot and beyond.

If you look on the equipment exchange or make a post wanting to purchase one on here, or the CGN website (highly recommend both) you can find many for sale for $350-400 which is the price a newer high end Bushnell and I believe the Leupold is a better product. I bought mine new in box for $375 with no tax. The Leupolds run 550-600 new.

All of the previously mentioned run 800+ new and are quite hard to find on the used market...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

well I guess I have to buy a Leica 1600 CRF..to see what they are all about..not sure about having a built in thermometer and barometric guage...more stuff to go wrong.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 PM

I use a Leica CRF 900. I've used Bushnell, Nikon, Swarovski, and Leupold and the Leica wins hands down.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
If your shooting is inside 250 yards with a centerfire big game rifle I wouldn't worry about angles and holdover. Look at some ballistic charts for your calibre and sight in for a flat trajectory out to that distance. For example I know that for my 7mm Rem mag I am zeroed at 245 yards. At 100 yards I am 2.5 inches high. At 200 yards I am 1 3/4 inches high and at 300 I am 3 3/4 inches low. I know that all the way out to 300 yards I can hold on the centre of the kill zone and always be within that 8 inch circle.

In my opinion this will eliminate much if not all of your guesswork. Point and shoot...sort of...

Most modern calibres will have a MPBR of farther than the 250 yards you do most of your shooting at. If you know your zero range and the drop or rise at 100 and 250 you will have no need to compensate for angles.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 AM

Nothing can beat Leica in a fair fight.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM

I`ve had difficulties with Leicas in rain or fog. Not just my 1200 but Geovids as well. It was embarrassing in one case when the other guide pulled out an old Nikon and ranged the animal at 280 yards!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM

I use a Leica CRF 1200 for bowhunting, and a 8X42 Geovid for rifle hunting. My brother has an early bushnell 1000 and truth be told there is not much difference in speed or accuracy. The optics arent near as good, and I can get readings further than him, mine is smaller - but his was considerably less money and gets the job done.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Leica = red display on Black moose... or others with Black display /on Black moose ..... you choose.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I would recommend a Leupold RX 1000 to you for these reasons. **Not the TBR model**

#1 - Compact
#2 - Great glass
#3 - Quite simple
#4 - Screen is uncluttered *A complaint of the TBR model*
#5 - Price is right
#6 - A unit that has accurate, reliable, and consistent ranging at ranges twice that of which you will shoot and beyond.

If you look on the equipment exchange or make a post wanting to purchase one on here, or the CGN website (highly recommend both) you can find many for sale for $350-400 which is the price a newer high end Bushnell and I believe the Leupold is a better product. I bought mine new in box for $375 with no tax. The Leupolds run 550-600 new.

All of the previously mentioned run 800+ new and are quite hard to find on the used market...
Amen...I love mine. Another bonus is it has a red display with adjustable brightness, which I think is a huge feature especially for low light conditions. I also love how compact it is - less bulk is always a good thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Leica = red display on Black moose... or others with Black display /on Black moose ..... you choose.

where are you aiming? the middle of your sight is the target. not the top left corner or bottom right......smack dead in the middle. it dont matter if its black on black or what, come on man? pppbbbfffttt!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

which RFs have black displays??..Zeiss , Swaro and Leica are red/orange..
Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 PM

A couple of years ago I was looking for the exact same thing as you. I thought I needed the ARC and got really confused when reading the pros/cons of such systems. The biggest complaint that I heard about was many of the rangefinders are too complicated to use. I was talked into a Leica 1200 by a dealer I know well, as well as some of my students who are hunting crazy. All of them consistently recommended this model. When 16 to 18 year olds are passing on the bells and whistles it means something to me. Since then I have never had a moments regret.

The Leica in 7x allows me to see as much detail as a fairly expensive set of 10x50 binos (but not as wide of field of view). I believe that this indicates how exceptional the optical quality is. Another really good test was ranging round hay bales in a field with friends. Their rangefinders would range bale with their ends fairly perpendicular to us out to about 250 yards. But bales at angles they could only do 180 yards. I could do all the bales in the field, some out to 400+ yards at any angle although I was having a heck of a time holding still enough to get a reading on the more distant ones. This made me wonder how many animals that might be behind a bit of brush the other rangefinders would miss.

The Leica rangefinder I have is basic. Push the button to turn it on, put the sight on the animal, press again and there is the range in easy to see red - every time, every temperature, every weather condition I have tried it in including the damp day my three year old Leupold VX3 scope fogged continually.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
which RFs have black displays??..Zeiss , Swaro and Leica are red/orange..
well i guess if the three most expensive brands of rangefinder doesnt , then all the rest wont either.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
well i guess if the three most expensive brands of rangefinder doesnt , then all the rest wont either.
Bushnell uses a black display,as do some Leupolds.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Default Thanks for info

Thanks for all the thoughts, opinions, and information. I appreciate all the different views. Even though I haven't made up my mind on one particular r/f, I feel alot better about going in to the store to have a look, and not end up being bullied/swayed by misinformed sales people.
I have a chance to buy a 1 year old Leupold RX-IV 1000 for $300, and might be leaning that way.
Once again, thanks to everybody. And maybe we all got a little education out of this.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM

You can find the leica 900's on the cheap right now. Was kind of wondering why they came down so quick last year in price....then they turned my 1200 into the lower model

I prefer the longer one's (I use the 1200) but it's more for planning stalks as opposed to actually ranging for shooting. It'll take a bit (lot) of work for me to start launching rounds out to 800+m's but for planning stalks it's the cats meow!!!

tm
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

If the Leica has a clearer image than my Swarovski..I will eat my own chit..
Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
If the Leica has a clearer image than my Swarovski..I will eat my own chit..
Glassing with your rangefinder is about as intelligent.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Have to agree with noneck180 on the Swarovski. I had a early Bushnell 1000 and then went to a Leica 800. While the Leica was superior in glass than the Bushnell it couldn't match the Swarovski. The main difference I found was when trying to range a a coyote in a snow covered field on a sunny day 300 yds and beyond the Leica would most times not record a range. With the Swaro it is a rare occasion.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Glassing with your rangefinder is about as intelligent.
Chuck..

I thought you found a hole and crawled in it..

If you can't see clearly what your ranging..who cares if it will do 100yards or 1600 yards..maybe think before you type..
BTW I have Swarovski EL binos for glassing...

Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 AM

I come out on special occasions.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 08-07-2010 at 08:05 AM.