Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Default Ruger Rifle for warranty work

I bought a Ruger american in .300aac last year . It stayed in the box and I just put a scope on and set up two weeks ago . Turns out i'm getting light primer strikes .
I have tried 6 types of ammo now . All Remington ammo I have to re-cock and fire , sometimes twice . Just a faint dent on primer . Nosler every third round re-cock .
I bought a bag of brass made some loads and they shot fine 49 out of 50 went off first strike (federal small rifle)
I'm guessing I have a head space problem or i need a stronger bolt spring .

I did a google search for Rugers warranty center (snap shots) and see they have comments for slow and poor service . Anyone have experience with snap shots?
Or i'm wondering If i can use a local gunsmith for repair?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Banned

Ive had issues with light primer strikes on Rugers before. Buy a Wolff striker spring or Ruger MK2 performance kit and have it installed by a gunsmith.

You'll be further ahead by fixing it yourself rather than dealing with warranty.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:22 PM

I’ve read mixed reviews aswell, but they have always helped me. I sent a rifle to snapshot for some “factory fitted only” parts. I bought the rifle used and there was no warranty - so I expected a bill. However they replaced the parts free of charge. I’ve also ordered parts from them that other sources couldn’t get with no complaints.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Ive had issues with light primer strikes on Rugers before. Buy a Wolff striker spring or Ruger MK2 performance kit and have it installed by a gunsmith.

You'll be further ahead by fixing it yourself rather than dealing with warranty.
I agree. Even on Rugers without light strikes these are a good upgrade.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Default wolff springs

Buddy had one put in a MKII and It still messed up usually when hunting not at the range even after a spring change,de-greasing and measuring firing pin protrusion.Paddle stocked SS club.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
I bought a Ruger american in .300aac last year . It stayed in the box and I just put a scope on and set up two weeks ago . Turns out i'm getting light primer strikes .
I have tried 6 types of ammo now . All Remington ammo I have to re-cock and fire , sometimes twice . Just a faint dent on primer . Nosler every third round re-cock .
I bought a bag of brass made some loads and they shot fine 49 out of 50 went off first strike (federal small rifle)
I'm guessing I have a head space problem or i need a stronger bolt spring .

I did a google search for Rugers warranty center (snap shots) and see they have comments for slow and poor service . Anyone have experience with snap shots?
Or i'm wondering If i can use a local gunsmith for repair?
Yes I had a Red Label O/U the recoil would reset the safety on it when shooting 3" shells, and not allow a follow up without taking the safety off. I had to send it to them twice before it was finally fixed. Quick turn around time, most of the wait time was in the shipping to and from.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Default SnapShots

I bought parts for a 10/22 awhile back. Got them on the phone, they were helpful and shipping was fast.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:54 PM

I ended up calling them . The fella was very friendly on the phone . Claims ounce they receive rifle maybe 2 week turnaround .
Old 05-22-2019, 11:39 AM

I've dealt with Snapshots in the past as well. Easy to work with, and they seemed to do good work.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM

Could try calling Korth Group? They are Ruger
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM

I’ve had good success with snapshots. Not super quick to answer e-mails, but I am sure they get lots of those. The few times I have talked to the over the phone was pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk