Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Lake Field Mark II 22LR

A few years ago my wife was shooting this 22. After firing a round she worked the bolt rearward, the bolt came out in her hand and she said something fell out on the ground. (No, not the empty case). We looked and looked but never found anything. We put the bolt back in and put it in the safe and had not fired it due to obvious situation that just occurred.

With coyote snaring season upon us, I remembered we had this gun and thought it would make a good dispatch gun. But am leery to fire a round. I have worked the action and it feels normal, bolt does not come out or seem loose.

Does anyone have any history with failures similar to this or familiar with these rifles?

May not be worth the $$ to repair, but its hard to also justify a rifle sitting laying idle.

Suggestions?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:50 PM

The Lakefields are the same as the Savage Mark II rifles. You should be able to find a schematic online that shows the bolt and receiver parts. Compare that to what you have.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
The Lakefields are the same as the Savage Mark II rifles. You should be able to find a schematic online that shows the bolt and receiver parts. Compare that to what you have.
Ok good to know. I was seeing lots of stuff on the Savage and nitbrealizingbthey were the same. Thanks
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Lake Field Mark II 22LR

Here is a good schematic. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man.../mark-ii-lkfld

Based on your description it is likely the extractor. Western Gun Parts in Edmonton should have what you need once you identify it.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Banned

if it seems to function properly , why not cycle a few rounds through it (in a safe place).....if it cycles properly, why not fire it and see if it works? people have been mistaken..maybe nothing fell out
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Here's mine:

Old 12-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
if it seems to function properly , why not cycle a few rounds through it (in a safe place).....if it cycles properly, why not fire it and see if it works? people have been mistaken..maybe nothing fell out
That could be also. And perhaps, maybe it was the spent cartridge.haha. Was just alarming when the bolt come out, and with the malfunction we just assumed it was a component.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Here's mine:

Near as I can tell, mine looks just as yours. Took a few minutes to get all lined back up right when trying to install the bolt. That seem normal?
Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM

If the bolt body and hammer (as it's called in the diagram) aren't lined up properly yes, that can happen.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
That could be also. And perhaps, maybe it was the spent cartridge.haha. Was just alarming when the bolt come out, and with the malfunction we just assumed it was a component.
i'm not familiar with that rifle, but can the bolt be removed by just pulling the trigger and pulling back on the bolt? perhaps she inadvertently had the trigger pulled and removed the bolt the way it was designed to do?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Here is a good schematic. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man.../mark-ii-lkfld

Based on your description it is likely the extractor. Western Gun Parts in Edmonton should have what you need once you identify it.
After looking at schematic there’s 2 pieces I’m not seeing. Number 37 Detent Spring(but I don’t see how that even fits in or could fall out) and 9 the Extractor Spring Clip and I don’t see where or how that fits either. Thanks guys. I will do some more research and see if I can find a video with an explanation.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
i'm not familiar with that rifle, but can the bolt be removed by just pulling the trigger and pulling back on the bolt? perhaps she inadvertently had the trigger pulled and removed the bolt the way it was designed to do?
Yes that has crossed my mind also. This one you push safety all the way ahead and pull trigger and pull bolt out.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, my Lakefield MkII just requires the trigger to be pulled to remove the bolt.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Shooting Xs

There are two bolt designs ,that I have seen from Lakefield/Savage . The OP has the earlier model ,the schematic link provided shows the current configuration .The earlier uses a pin on each, to locate and lock the extractor /spring and guide/spring in the bolt body. You can see the locater holes in the top pic.
The later uses the "C" clip retainer for the that purpose ,much more user friendly design for cleaning ,disassembly.
Lakefield was the Canadian division of Savage Arms ,till they changed the name in the mid 90's.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
There are two bolt designs ,that I have seen from Lakefield/Savage . The OP has the earlier model ,the schematic link provided shows the current configuration .The earlier uses a pin on each, to locate and lock the extractor /spring and guide/spring in the bolt body. You can see the locater holes in the top pic.
The later uses the "C" clip retainer for the that purpose ,much more user friendly design for cleaning ,disassembly.
Lakefield was the Canadian division of Savage Arms ,till they changed the name in the mid 90's.
Thank you very much for that. Perhaps I'm not missing anything then.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
That's how you remove the bolt on my savage. Have to pull the trigger to allow the bolt to be removed.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
I know this is an old thread but...

Does anyone have tips for removing the extractor pins for cleaning? I have two that are having extraction problems, and I think they just need a good cleaning. I was unable to remove the pins with the tools I have.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post
I know this is an old thread but...

Does anyone have tips for removing the extractor pins for cleaning? I have two that are having extraction problems, and I think they just need a good cleaning. I was unable to remove the pins with the tools I have.
I answered my own question. I bought a 1/16" punch, and that seemed to be the correct size. The extractors were very dirty. I used some Hoppe's #9 to clean them up, then some gun oil. Getting them re-assembled was a little tricky... trying to hold everything in place while banging the pins back in.

If you are cleaning your extractors, make sure to keep track of which one goes on which side. It won't eject properly if you mix them up.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:02 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post
I answered my own question. I bought a 1/16" punch, and that seemed to be the correct size. The extractors were very dirty. I used some Hoppe's #9 to clean them up, then some gun oil. Getting them re-assembled was a little tricky... trying to hold everything in place while banging the pins back in.

If you are cleaning your extractors, make sure to keep track of which one goes on which side. It won't eject properly if you mix them up.
That's because only one is an extractor/ejector,the other is the cartridge guide.Did you clean out the relief cut grooves on either side of the chamber breech face for the extractor/guides while you were cleaning?
I thought I'd give you a couple days to figure it out before posting.I have seen the coil springs in these style of bolts so compacted with crud that they were basically solid with no movement what so ever.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM

I seem to recall that the ejector which is a stamped piece of steel has a tab on it that prevents the bolt from coming out without the trigger being pulled or something, its is a weak part and breaks allowing the bolt to come out easily, thats probably what the metal piece was...
Old 02-26-2020, 07:53 AM

Default bolt trouble

Can anyone show me better pictures of the Lakefield Mark 2 bolt. I have this one and I think there is a piece broken or wore off of it. When replacing bolt into rifle the guide lug?just does not line up after pulling bolt to rear.
Any help would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.jpg (21.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.jpg (26.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Default better pics

Here is better view of my problem I believe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.jpg (16.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0777.jpg (15.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:33 AM

So does no one have any help with this?Trying to fix it for a really well behaved teen kid.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 AM
Banned

since the op, i happened to acquire one of these .22's. (as an aside, i have never owned any type of gun with a worse trigger!)

.....anyway, mine can be a little tricky to get the bolt all lined up so that it will fit in properly. a little messing with it will get it done. first, i insert the bolt with the flat face to the bottom (duh), then when it goes in and won't finish dropping in, i twist on the back portion of it until the pin lines up with the channel and viola, pull the trigger and in she goes.

ps, tigertrainer, how did you get the back of the bolt to stay out like that? my suspicion is that something must be broken inside or it would definitely be tight against the back of the bolt because of the spring pressure inside. mine will certainly not stay out like that and i don't think it should if everything is right.

this litttle gun is reminds me of a piece of agriculture equipment compared to a european auto. man for rough.......but does the little bugger ever shoot if you can do your part with the awful trigger.

btw, does anyone have any advice on tuning the trigger.......or can an after market one be obtained (i looked but couldn't find one for it)
Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 AM

Default bolt trouble

don't know what you mean by back of bolt staying out.I have it all apart and would like to see some close ups of another bolt. I think a piece is broken off mine. The little nub on it.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Must be 15 years since I sold my Mark II but what you are missing is #9
Extractor Clip.
You can see in both pictures of your bolt shiny line were this thin black flat 6-7 mm wide piece was rubbing on your bolt.
Notice that nothing is holding extractors now in their channels.
Your wife was right.
Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Gone Hunting

KBF -mine looks just as yours. Took a few minutes to get all lined back up right when trying to install the bolt. That seem normal?[/QUOTE]

Oops I did not notice that this is Chargerguy bolt picture but you (KBF) admitted that yours look the same way.

IMO You both missing the Extractor clip.

KBF You can fire your 22 but have a cleaning rod ready to push the empty shell out of the chamber.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Near as I can tell, mine looks just as yours. Took a few minutes to get all lined back up right when trying to install the bolt. That seem normal?
Here is the MkII parts diagram from Numrich Arms. Not seeing an extractor clip groove in your bolt...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:

ps, tigertrainer, how did you get the back of the bolt to stay out like that? my suspicion is that something must be broken inside or it would definitely be tight against the back of the bolt because of the spring pressure inside. mine will certainly not stay out like that and i don't think it should if everything is right.

btw, does anyone have any advice on tuning the trigger.......or can an after market one be obtained (i looked but couldn't find one for it)
You can take a stone to the sear and bolt carefully. Can you take some pics of it for me in the area I showed. Yes the back of bolt sticks out cause I stripped it.Need to replace or repair but not sure how yet unless I see another one
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Must be 15 years since I sold my Mark II but what you are missing is #9
Extractor Clip.
You can see in both pictures of your bolt shiny line were this thin black flat 6-7 mm wide piece was rubbing on your bolt.
Notice that nothing is holding extractors now in their channels.
Your wife was right.
Andrew
not missing any parts. There is a small protrusion on the bolt where they come together that is worn off or broke off. I need a good pic of it or another bolt