Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Default Scope failure

Useing a tikka t1a 22lr topped with a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40.With lots of gopher about,it was business as usual.Late in the day,I noticed the bullets,started to hit high,shots were directed low,then the crosshairs,actually looked like they bent,then all went black.No impact,of any kind.The scope will have to go back. Now thats a first,for a scope,I have had gun failure,over the years.And the reason I carry two guns.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM

I had a prostaff that the Oring around the objective end came out and had to be sent back. Had another one where the cross hairs broke.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 AM

Nikon scopes are a lot like Vortex. Really good warranty and you need to use it a lot. Nikon and Vortex are the only scope failures I have ever had that weren't accident related. Sold the Nikon after the second failure and Vortex after 3 failures. Sold the brand new replacement when it showed up, didn't even open the box. I now stick to scopes with a reputation for not breaking very often, Leupold, Night Force, Zeiss, Swaro and the higher end Bushnell.

On non-critical use guns Vortex or Nikon are fine but they aren't really a lot cheaper than much more reliable scopes and you can't beat Leupold or Night Force's warranties. Never had to use them, except for a Leupold that was my fault entirely but all accounts I have read have been completely positive.

Just a suggestion but you might want to flog the replacement as new in box and look at something else.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Nikon scopes are a lot like Vortex. Really good warranty and you need to use it a lot. Nikon and Vortex are the only scope failures I have ever had that weren't accident related. Sold the Nikon after the second failure and Vortex after 3 failures. Sold the brand new replacement when it showed up, didn't even open the box. I now stick to scopes with a reputation for not breaking very often, Leupold, Night Force, Zeiss, Swaro and the higher end Bushnell.

On non-critical use guns Vortex or Nikon are fine but they aren't really a lot cheaper than much more reliable scopes and you can't beat Leupold or Night Force's warranties. Never had to use them, except for a Leupold that was my fault entirely but all accounts I have read have been completely positive.

Just a suggestion but you might want to flog the replacement as new in box and look at something else.
I have owned three Nikon scopes, all Monarch 3s, and zero issues with any of them. Friends also own Monarchs, and no issues, I don't judge any brand based on one scope.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have owned three Nikon scopes, all Monarch 3s, and zero issues with any of them. Friends also own Monarchs, and no issues, I don't judge any brand based on one scope.
First Nikon failed, new replacement failed. Have had two pair of their binoculars that were really good glass but both had to go back for fogging issues. That was enough for me, but everyone is free to do as they like. The OP and one other poster didn't have much luck with Nikon either. If you have good luck with them definitely keep using them, just passing on my experience.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
First Nikon failed, new replacement failed. Have had two pair of their binoculars that were really good glass but both had to go back for fogging issues. That was enough for me, but everyone is free to do as they like. The OP and one other poster didn't have much luck with Nikon either. If you have good luck with them definitely keep using them, just passing on my experience.
The scopes mentioned by the OP and the other poster were Prostaffs, not the upper end Nikons. I have seen issues with lower end Bushnells, but higher end Bushnells have been reliable. Then again, I had two Leupold VXII scopes that were essentially fixed power scopes, because the magnification adjusters were defective from the factory.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Default Bushnells

Have slowly went downhill since B+L made in Japan ,then South Korea and finally China.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Useing a tikka t1a 22lr topped with a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40.With lots of gopher about,it was business as usual.Late in the day,I noticed the bullets,started to hit high,shots were directed low,then the crosshairs,actually looked like they bent,then all went black.No impact,of any kind.The scope will have to go back. Now thats a first,for a scope,I have had gun failure,over the years.And the reason I carry two guns.
Our local store, quit selling Nikon three or four years ago. Was having too many complaints. As for the 22, the one I shot on the weekend was average at best. Three of the four of us shot an old 490 better.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM

First-off, the reason you're having scope problems is because I'm not out there helping you with the gophers...lol

Kidding aside, I've found the following to be true;

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The scopes mentioned by the OP and the other poster were Prostaffs, not the upper end Nikons. I have seen issues with lower end Bushnells, but higher end Bushnells have been reliable. Then again, I had two Leupold VXII scopes that were essentially fixed power scopes, because the magnification adjusters were defective from the factory.
In my limited experience, flirting with inexpensive scopes is a roll of the dice. I mean, I do it all the time myself so I have some frame of reference. lol When I used Vortex the most, the bottom-end Crossfires were the worst (my only warranty claims were with those). The updated Crossfire IIs no better. AT the time, the Diamondback was about the level you could trust on a rimfire. A Vortex Viper HS was the best I had at the time from Vortex and while totally serviceable and seemingly well made, the glass quality was just so-so. Dialed-up to the top (16X on mine) distortion was no longer limited to the edges. lol I thought it was a perfectly clear/great scope, then I tried a Sightron SIII. Wow..

So I turned away from Vortex, put an entry-level Sightron S1 on my CZ452 Varmint/gopher rifle. A sub-$300 scope at the time, been working perfectly ever since x ALLOT of rounds. I put a Sightron SIII on my centerfire, remarkable scope for the money...and the most expensive one I've ever owned. No plans on changing either.

For best value, for a rimfire, my "secret" is to try and find older, glossy Bushnell scopes with AO. You rarely pay more than $200 for one, and boy is the glass nice. In fact, I picked one up for my CZ527 17 Hornet as a temporary thing until I could get something "better"...but having seen how well it works, seems foolish to change it. I believe I paid around $175 shipped for this one;

I had that gun out a few weeks back, shooting IT..and a buddy's rifle that was wearing a mid/high-end Vortex. (don't remember the model) I shot my 17 first to confirm zero before hunting, then took some shots with his. No comparison, the old Bushnell glass was honestly way clearer. Would I trust it on a high-recoiling rifle or one that would be abused on a mountain hike and get rained/snowed-on? Nope, but for fair-weather varmint hunting and lighter calibers~I think it's the type to beat for the price.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Scope failure

Quote:

I agree,It wont go back on one of my rifles--
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

I've got one of the Nikon Black X-Force scopes. Features on par with a Nightforce or S&B and pretty good optics.
For my use (and considering Nikon's excellent warranty) it's a great scope.
However I doubt if I would trust my life to it on a mountaintop in Afghanistan.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM

I currently own 2 Nikon scopes, 1 Buckmaster, and 1 Monarch 3, zero problems, they track very well, and are pretty good value for the money they cost me.

Come to think of it, I’ve only ever had one scope let me down, that one was a mid ‘80’s vintage Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2.5-10x40, it just lost the ability to hold elevation, Bushnell tried and tried to repair it, but at the end of it all a brand new 4200 2.5-10 was sent to me.
That’s it, my only scope failure, and I’ve owned and still own a pile of scopes in nearly 40 years of shooting. Bushnell, Leupold, Redfield(new and old) Weaver, Nikon, Sightron, and but one failure.......... I must be truly blessed.........

There are no absolutes
Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 PM

I had a Bausch & Lomb 1.5-6 on a 338 wm. I was on my shooting sticks and took a shot at a cow elk at 250 yards and missed clean. Went to sight it in and it was a foot low. Brought it up to zero a tried another shot 8 inch high 4 left. I sent the scope back to bushnell and they sent a letter back parts unavailable scope obsolete. Along with it was a new 4200 elite 2.5-10, pretty good warranty in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

I had a Burris black diamond fail
There warranty is junk my replacement was an entry level scope
Never buy anything from them again

Had a Swarovski z5 not track right
New scope within a week 👍

Had issues with a ZEISS spotting scope (major focus wheel didn’t work)
Gentec is terrible. ZEISS warranty is pretty good (new spotter)

They can all fail. The higher end companies just don’t do it as often. And they make sure your taken care of.