Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Neighbour's cat food thief

Had a call from the neighbour two days ago about something stealing her cat food.

Thinking it was I skunk, I took over the skunk trap and baited it with cat food. What a shock to find a fisher in the live trap two days later.

Has anyone else had a fisher eating their dog or cat food?

TEH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat food thief (fisher).jpg (94.0 KB, 835 views)

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 AM

No, but maybe he will eat your cat next.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 PM

the fisher must have spooked all the kitties in the neighborhood to be down to eating cat food. The expansion of fisher in Alberta is another example of how nature is always changing
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Fisher will, and do eat cats. They will usually clean up any stray cats in your area.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Just an update.

Because it was living under the lady's trailer I let the fisher go 4 miles away from the catch site just in case it had young under the trailer. Fix the hole in the skirting and waited. Two days later the skirting was torn open and the cat food was being eaten again. I think that fisher does have her young under there. Will see by the end of June if it is still there. If it is a female with young she should be gone by then.
Any one got any other ideas? or does it just like cat food?

TEH

Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM

fast update.
Fisher left sometime this past weekend. The lady's cat is also gone. Maybe it was the fair well meal.

TEH

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Default lynx

$235 average on 7 lynx. $310 for my top cat and $150 low for a kitten. My best results for cats yet but might try to get what I can into the february next time. Problem is most my lynx come in January.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 AM

it was a matter a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
fast update.
Fisher left sometime this past weekend. The lady's cat is also gone. Maybe it was the fair well meal.

TEH
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
the fisher must have spooked all the kitties in the neighborhood to be down to eating cat food. The expansion of fisher in Alberta is another example of how nature is always changing
Yes, 'nature' is changing. Its forest is getting older.

Do you think the 4 successions of growth in the forest have anything to do with different animals so called 'expanding'? I am not asking sarcastically, but asking genuinely. Do you think your personal trapline animals have changed in the time you have had it?

Each different stage of growth has certain plants and animal species. In Alberta, in certain areas the forests are getting older. The plants and animals will change according to the maturity of the forest.
(Example: In the buffalo days of Alberta, where there were treeless plains, there are now mature bluffs of forest.)

As far as fisher expanding, back in the late 1990's there were 8 fisher released from a research location a few miles east of Edmonton. These fisher were tracked and some did move west along the North Sask. river and north. So a program like this might explain some new animals 'expanding' too. There may have been more animals released in the past year or two.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
fast update.

TEH
Can you send the fisher to my neighborhood, please.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Yes, 'nature' is changing. Its forest is getting older.

Do you think the 4 successions of growth in the forest have anything to do with different animals so called 'expanding'? I am not asking sarcastically, but asking genuinely. Do you think your personal trapline animals have changed in the time you have had it?

Each different stage of growth has certain plants and animal species. In Alberta, in certain areas the forests are getting older. The plants and animals will change according to the maturity of the forest.
(Example: In the buffalo days of Alberta, where there were treeless plains, there are now mature bluffs of forest.)

As far as fisher expanding, back in the late 1990's there were 8 fisher released from a research location a few miles east of Edmonton. These fisher were tracked and some did move west along the North Sask. river and north. So a program like this might explain some new animals 'expanding' too. There may have been more animals released in the past year or two.
How do you figure that. My observation is with all the logging going on, the forest is getting younger, if it exists at all.

Grizz
Old 08-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
How do you figure that. My observation is with all the logging going on, the forest is getting younger, if it exists at all.

Grizz
Nailed it! What isn't burnt, has been logged, and the government is mulching the rest. Amazing!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 AM

As a result, I don't get many fisher anymore.