Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Default Nosler Partition or Accubond???

Hi everyone,

For a serious big game hunter (elk, moose and deer), which is the better "all-around" bullet; Nosler Partition or Accubond?

I shoot a Sako Finnlight 75 in 300 Win Mag.

Pictures of recovered bullets would be great.

-Trevor
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Hi everyone,

For a serious big game hunter (elk, moose and deer), which is the better "all-around" bullet; Nosler Partition or Accubond?

I shoot a Sako Finnlight 75 in 300 Win Mag.

Pictures of recovered bullets would be great.

-Trevor
what do you use now????
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 PM

I was using 165 gr. Nosler Partitions, but I've recently changed to 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. They seem to work very well on game, but I've heard really good things about the Accubond. Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone.

-Trevor
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM

I use Swift Sciroccos in my 300 win mag and have had excellent results with them. These bullets are very comparable to accubonds and I would highly recommend them. I have used my gun on deer, elk, moose and black bears and the bullets actually hold together quite well and expansion is very reliable.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

They are both great choices,, see which one shoots well in your rife.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default nosler

I have used both this past fall on deer under 75 yards. 180 gr partitions with my 300 wby and 140 gr accubonds with my 270 wsm. Both good hits, both ended up running. Both needed a second shot. I think the bullets were just going to fast when they hit. I have had great results with both once you are 150 yards out. Bang flop! I'm thinking of trying the ttsx's personally
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 PM

We've used both, and only use Accubonds now. Not because there was anything wrong with the Partitions, just personal preference (must be the sexy white tips). There is no wrong choice to be made on this one. Kind of like drinking a bottle of Crown vs a bottle of Gibsons; the end result will be the same.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Personally I'd recommend the partition. I've only shot three deer with the accubond and none of them have been really high velocity (165 grain .308 @ 2850) I haven't hit anything overly solid (broadside ribs) and all of them have blown up on contact. I've seen fist sized entrance wounds and very small or no exit. The wound channels have been fairly short and I've been thankful that I didn't have a quartering shot or a bigger animal where I needed more then ten inches of penetration. I've read a lot of guys saying there getting great penetration with them and maybe it's just that batch that was having issues but personally I gave up on them and went back to barnes, which are a wicked bullet. I've never seen a lack of penetration with them.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 PM

I also have a 300 win mag and the nosler partitions work awesome. I have not tryed the acubonds so can't coment on them. Most of the recovered bullets are a perfect mushroom. I would post pics but my comp skills are very much lacking and can't figure the pic posting.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 PM

If you're just after deer it doesn't matter. But I would lay my money on Partitions if I were hunting the big stuff. I have personally had bonded bullets come apart on heavy bone (moose shoulder). It was a Swift Scirroco. Have also seen Accubonds fail on elk that I have skinned for customers. I tested these bonded type of bullets in pine stumps at point blank range and thought they did well. But I cannot believe how much more destructive an animal shoulder is to a bullet. If you insist on bonded core bullets, there is always the swift A frame and Trophy bonded bear claw, each of which have a fail safe mechanism built in.
Closed Thread