Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 01:04 PM

I don't worry too much about the over hyped gun grabbing hysteria personally. I use my Modern Varminter in .223 wearing a scope with a Horus reticle. I love it for hunting both coyote and gophers.

Last edited by wally338; 01-19-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-19-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
I don't worry too much about the over hyped gun grabbing hysteria personally. I use my Modern Varminter in .223 wearing a scope with a Horus reticle. I love it for hunting both coyote and gophers.
EXACTLY!! The OP asked specifically about opinions on what kind of semi auto. Not people opinions on why he shouldn't. Its insane. You want a semi auto...buy one! Or 5!. Jeez guys.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
just to name a bunch of the semi auto 223 semi's out there.
kel tec rdb and kel tec su16, wk180c, macabee slr, benelli mr1, ruger mini14, iwi tavor, robson arms xcr, norinco type 97, alberta tactical rifle modern sporter

in my humble opinion most of these rifles are designed for "battle rifle" accuracy and dont lend themselves to being great coyote rifles over a bolt gun. my choice would be a purpose built rifle off of an alberta tactical or maccabee slr receiver. with the robson arms and mini 14 target being my second choice.
Agreed. If you can afford a Alberta Tactical build, that's likely the most accurate and highest quality semi you could ask for - but you are looking at $4000 to get it set up.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:30 PM

I agree with the advice both ways.

A lot of the guys on here are regulars and keep up with the news. Others dont

There will be guys thay buy non restricted semi auto type rifles that may become restricted amd they won't know until they get caught.

To give some fair warning to some asking isnt super bad advice. These guns are $1500.00 or more... and the problem with most honest citizens is just that, they are too honest to break the law and most will probably comply while raising a fuss about it.

The long gun resgistry has an amnesty that was extended every year I beleive.... so who knows...

Maybe look at the browning bar or a remington or a ruger mini or one of the many non restricted black colored rifles
Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 AM

Agreed ATRS would probably be my first choice but I really like my XCR.
I have had for 5 years, well over 10,000 rounds and no issues.
It took some doing but with the heavy barrel I was able to work up a load that is right around MOA consistently. With that same load the light barrel is around 2 MOA which is all I need it to be. I was never able to find any factory ammo it shoots decent tho.

I was not a fan of the fast stock but the Dlask AR stock adapter works well and you can use any AR stock you like.

Keymod version with the light barrel actually handles pretty nice.

The heavy barrel is pretty heavy. I think it's about 1.6 lb more than the light...

Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 PM

Update, I ended up ordering a WK180C. Should be here early next week, I am putting a Vortex Strike Eagle1-8 on it.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Ive got a Browning Hogstalker in 308.
Bit heavy but shoots well,holds 5.
I dont really care about damage to hide.....dont keep em.
Browning dont make em anymore.