Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Thinking about a 6.5 creedmore in the Winchester xpr rifle.

Giving some thought on this rifle as a starter for my grandson. How is it with hand loads in terms of ft lbs and decent shooting range?
Old 01-15-2020, 12:38 PM

There's tons of almost new/used 6.5CMs on the used market right now. I'd look there 1st.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:39 PM

I've been thinking about one of these as well. From what I can see from a reloading perspective is that the useful case capacity is about 9% less than a .243, and 23% less than a .270 win. As long as the rifle isn't ridiculously light, it should make for a fairly soft shooting rifle, with better long range performance than either of the other two that I mentioned. Challenge seems to be the cost of components for this calibre - bullets are at the high end it seems, and brass is obscenely priced. Factory rounds are at the stupid end of expensive from what I can see too. Cheers.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
I've been thinking about one of these as well. From what I can see from a reloading perspective is that the useful case capacity is about 9% less than a .243, and 23% less than a .270 win. As long as the rifle isn't ridiculously light, it should make for a fairly soft shooting rifle, with better long range performance than either of the other two that I mentioned. Challenge seems to be the cost of components for this calibre - bullets are at the high end it seems, and brass is obscenely priced. Factory rounds are at the stupid end of expensive from what I can see too. Cheers.
From what I have seen bullets and finished ammo are no more expensive than any of the other ammunition in that same category.
I too would be looking for a used unit if I were going to buy any rifle these days.
Cat
Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
I load for the 6.5CM and bullets and cases are no more expensive than for other cartridges of similar size. Factory loads can be purchased fairly reasonable as well it depends on the particular load.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 PM

Was at the local CT the other day and walked by the gun cabinets. All on sale. Was thinking for a while on a 6.5 CM . Seen a couple Winchester XPRs in 6.5 in different camp patterns on sale . Tempting as I like my Sako rifles . Seriously like the A7 RTP but to try this caliber the price of the Winchester has me thinking of it.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 AM

I bought a rifle in 6.5 CM for my son. One of the several virtues I have found is that all of the factory ammo (and there’s lots!...another virtue) used in it thus far is of very good quality and consistency, producing sub-MOA groups. I reload for all of our other rifles, but I haven’t picked up any dies or components for the 6.5 and I very well might not. I don’t have a compelling need to.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:35 PM

I’m not sure of the size of your grandson, but I would ensure that whichever rifle you decide on fits him well. As far as recoil goes, having the rifle fit him properly will help minimalize the amount of felt recoil.

I have more than one 6.5cm and find it to behave like any other cartridge: the heavier the bullet for the caliber, the more it recoils. So depending on his size / comfort level with recoil, I would consider the lighter bullets to begin with.

If by shooting range you mean distance, the lighter bullets can be launched pretty fast depending on which powder and how much you stuff in the case. Along with the relitelvly high bc’s of most 6.5mm bullets, this translates into a pretty capable gun in terms of effective range.

I don’t think 6.5cm is the best cartridge in the world, it is just a good compromise of many aspects of cartridge makeup (powder consumption, recoil, effective range).

There’s my $0.02, I hope it helped
Old 01-19-2020, 09:17 AM

As I said I am thinking about the CM. Thanks so much for all the sound advice.

So many options around for him, he is still a little young so will set him up with the .22 this summer then decide.

I started my son at 10 with mild loads in my .270,he still shoots and loves that caliber.