Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Default Lamson Liquid 3 Pack a deal?

I have been thinking of picking up a Lamson 3 pack at Cabelas. Any reviews on this set? Is it worth the price or should I look at something else? $176 seems like a decent deal.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97747...id-3-pack-reel

Thanks all!
Old 12-26-2017, 03:55 PM

for my money I'd do a greys cassette reel, but the liquid works for sure

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM

I have 3. They're the best bang for your buck out there.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM

Bought the 3 pack this morning 5/6weight it’s 309.99
Old 12-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned

Nothing can touch this deal ($179). A good reel plus 2 extra spools.
Is it the best of the best? No. Will it do the job for many years? Yes.
On the other hand, having multiple reels is kind of fun. I put different reels on different rods all the time. Changes the look. That said, for the vast majority of trout fishing, the reel just holds the line.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Nothing can touch this deal ($179). A good reel plus 2 extra spools.
Is it the best of the best? No. Will it do the job for many years? Yes.
On the other hand, having multiple reels is kind of fun. I put different reels on different rods all the time. Changes the look. That said, for the vast majority of trout fishing, the reel just holds the line.
Unless you're in the minority, i.e., the 10% who catch BIG trout most of the time, who like a decent reel with a smooth drag.

Nevertheless, I may have a look at this system to replace my ancient RimFlys.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:15 PM

I have several of the Liquid's predecessor, the Konic, and I love them. Arguably, the drag is as good or better than what you would find in any reel in this price range (and some Lamson fans would argue drag as good as reels that are twice the price). I don't think they are particularly immune to scratches and "visual" wear, but in 4 years of using them I have had zero troubles with mine from a functional standpoint. I understand that the drag Lamson uses is identical in all their reels, so if you are after an entry level reel with a very good sealed drag system, this is it.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Unless you're in the minority, i.e., the 10% who catch BIG trout most of the time, who like a decent reel with a smooth drag.
This just confirms what I stated earlier, "That said, for the vast majority of trout fishing, the reel just holds the line."

AND I think the number "who catch BIG trout most of the time" has been greatly overestimated.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 AM

OK, back to serous talk.

How are the cassette spools changed in the Lamson? I have the Grey's GTX system where the spools slide over an O-ring. Gets a little hard to release unless I use a little agent X (this is a family forum) for lubrication.

The drag on the GTX is beautiful. This reel, loaded with a 6wt type 3 full sinking line, is my go to when trolling leech and minnow patterns for the BIG ones.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM

I own both the Greys cassette and the liquid.

The liquid is a friction fit. Spoils come off easily and can be replaced quickly without having to unscrew anything. Much better than the greys IMO.

I do like the ID system on the Greys cassettes, but as previously mentioned, overtime they become hard to remove. So hard that in fact the rim on one became bent in the removal process.

The liquid is much lighter than the Greys.

Drag is fine on both, maybe a little better on the initial pickup on the Liquid. Just a bit smoother to protect tippet.

If I had to do it again I would choose the liquid. But the greys would do just fine.

I paid $275, so at that price it is definitely an excellent deal.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
OK, back to serous talk.

How are the cassette spools changed in the Lamson? I have the Grey's GTX system where the spools slide over an O-ring. Gets a little hard to release unless I use a little agent X (this is a family forum) for lubrication.

The drag on the GTX is beautiful. This reel, loaded with a 6wt type 3 full sinking line, is my go to when trolling leech and minnow patterns for the BIG ones.
Lamsons are not cassettes, but rather one-piece spools. They pop on and off very easily: http://vimeo.com/105393353
Very little maintenance required with them.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 PM

Thumbs up

I looked at the Liquid last year when purchasing new reels. Very nice for the money. I opted for the REMIX as the receiver is one piece as opposed to cast on the liquid. The one piece just gives you a little more strength against dings and dents. The spools on both are cast which is great for price. $65.00 last time I checked.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:10 PM

Thanks all for the info. I think I will put my new gift cards to use and pull the trigger on a new reel.