Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Antlerless Mule Archery

I was wondering if someone could help clarify something for me in the regs.

I was drawn for an Antlerless Mule Deer this year in WMU 221 and 221 offers an Antlerless archery season of Sept 1 - Oct 31 without needing a draw tag. Does this mean I can shoot an Anterless Mule with my bow in September with a General Mule Tag and then shoot another in November with my Anterless Draw tag?

Or does this mean I can only fill my Antlerless draw tag early in September or October and not have to wait for November rifle season to start?

I havent been able to get a real answer other than speculation.

Essentially, am I able to shoot 2 Antlerless Mule Deer this year. 1 with bow and 1 with rifle.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 AM

I don't have a copy in front of me but there is a page that outlines how many tags per species you can have and how many total tags per group. It's in a table format and is great to follow along. I'll look online but have a look in your booklet
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM

http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting...encecosts.html
Found it already. Look at this. Then it's not someone else's interpretation of things
Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 AM

This has been asked twice on here in the past week. I am in the same situation. Yes you can get two anterless mule deer.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
This has been asked twice on here in the past week. I am in the same situation. Yes you can get two anterless mule deer.
x2
Old 09-05-2017, 10:37 AM

This can be confirmed on the link I posted. I would recommend looking at it so you can see for yourself how it is laid out. It's all in the green table with licencing costs. If you were ever questioned on it, it would be good for you to be able to confidently show the proof on the page without looking like you're unsure.
If after looking at it, it isn't making sense, then come back here and ask specific questions or describe what you see and walk us through your thought process. You'll probably figure it out just trying to explain it. You'll learn it better if you try this rather than just accept what we say.
Good luck with those tags! You could fill them both with the bow before that cold general season
Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM

Thank you.

I looked through this yesterday but couldn't reassure myself of what I was reading.

So, it seems from what you guys have explained so far is I can obtain 1 Mule Deer License (5th from the top) and the Antlerless Mule Deer Special License (my draw tag). So my new question is can I use a Mule Deer license (5th one from the top) in WMU 221 for an Antlerless Mule? It doesnt specify Buck or Doe.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron.m View Post
Thank you.

I looked through this yesterday but couldn't reassure myself of what I was reading.

So, it seems from what you guys have explained so far is I can obtain 1 Mule Deer License (5th from the top) and the Antlerless Mule Deer Special License (my draw tag). So my new question is can I use a Mule Deer license (5th one from the top) in WMU 221 for an Antlerless Mule? It doesnt specify Buck or Doe.
I suggest you get a copy of the reg. It doesnt specfiy buck or doe becuase that varies in every WMU. If you look it up you will see in WMU 221 there is no general season for antlered mule deer, archery or rifle.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM

221 has an Antlered Mule Deer on DRAW for Archery Only from Sept 1 to Oct 31st. Your Mule Deer licence (5th from the top) DOES NOT allow you to harvest an antlered Mule Deer in this zone with Archery Tackle unless you have been award a draw tag.

221 has a Mule Deer Antlerless archery only season from Sept 1 to Oct 31st. (non-draw). So in 221 you can use your Mule Deer licence (5th from the top) to harvest an antlerless mule from Sept 1 to Oct 31st using archery tackle.

So to answer your original question, if you have been awarded an antlerless special license for 221 and purchase a non-draw Mule Deer license, then yes you can harvest 2 antlerless mule deer in 221 this season. 1 with archery tackle from Sept 1 to Oct 31st and 1 with any approved weapon from Nov 1st to Nov 30th.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Thanks, I have interpreted it the same. I spoke to someone at Alberta RELM and they told me otherwise. They told me I could not harvest 2 of a single species and that I could only use my Antlerless draw tag from September 1 to October 31st by archery and if I did not get anything in that time with my bow, I could use it for the rifle November 1st to 31st season.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:41 PM

I don't know how that can be since the special license is listed in the regs as being valid from nov 1 to nov 30 only.

I know certain species that if you are awarded a draw, then you can not also purchase a general license. But usually with "special" licenses they stand alone from the general tags. i.e.... Strathcona, Wainwright Deer, etc.

But who am I to argue with Alberta Relm? Sorry if I provided the wrong the information.

If I were you, I would 1st purchase my awarded antlerless tag. Then I would attempt to purchase my Mule Deer license. If the system allows you to buy both, you have the proper tag for each antlerless mule deer as I described above. I don't see how that could be wrong or illegal if the system allows you to purchase both. When I draw a moose tag in a specific WMU and purchase it, the system automatically removes my ability to buy a "General" moose license.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 09-05-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:13 PM

The comment about only one of each species is not accurate.
That only applies to a certain list of tags that should be clear in the table. The table lists it all out. Where your antlerless mule special licence is listed is not where the general mule licence is listed.
Specific to your situation:
You can fill the special licence from Sep 1 to Nov 30. Before Nov you are limited to archery weapon. Nov you can use any legal weapon for the general season.
You can fill the general mule tag from Sep 1 to Oct 31 with archery weapon only. You can not hunt with that tag in Nov.

First antlerless mule deer you harvest should be tagged with the general licence if it's between Sep 1 and Oct 31 so that you can hunt Nov if you still have the special licence. If you use the special licence in Sep / Oct and still have the general tag sitting in your pocket come Nov 1, you're done hunting antlerless mule deer.

But again, don't take my word for it. Look at the data table and prove it to yourself. It's all there. Confirm the dates on the big game seasons page for 200 zones.
Good luck out there
Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
The comment about only one of each species is not accurate.
That only applies to a certain list of tags that should be clear in the table. The table lists it all out. Where your antlerless mule special licence is listed is not where the general mule licence is listed.
Specific to your situation:
You can fill the special licence from Sep 1 to Nov 30. Before Nov you are limited to archery weapon. Nov you can use any legal weapon for the general season.
You can fill the general mule tag from Sep 1 to Oct 31 with archery weapon only. You can not hunt with that tag in Nov.

First antlerless mule deer you harvest should be tagged with the general licence if it's between Sep 1 and Oct 31 so that you can hunt Nov if you still have the special licence. If you use the special licence in Sep / Oct and still have the general tag sitting in your pocket come Nov 1, you're done hunting antlerless mule deer.

But again, don't take my word for it. Look at the data table and prove it to yourself. It's all there. Confirm the dates on the big game seasons page for 200 zones.
Good luck out there
I am in no way arguing, but is there a paragraph or section in the regs that authorizes or explains this?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM

I cant find anywhere in the regs that explains what you've highlighted above either. Not enough to comfortably tag a deer in September with a draw tag designated for November season.

The good news is that after reading it over and over, and with the forums help, I can confidently agree that I'm able to purchase both tags and harvest 2 Antlerless Mule Deer this season. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 PM

I had this same question. Im in 254 and was drawn my Mule Buck for November.
The first 2 listed in the regs is "Mule Deer" and "Antlered Mule Deer Special License" and then says "A Resident Adult may obtain only 1 of the first 2 licences." So that tells me I can't get 2 tags for mule deer. Even when I go onto Alberta RELM once i bought my Mule buck it removed any other option for mule deer from the list.

maybe I'm missing something?

Another example was last year I wasn't drawn for my General Cow Elk tag. I then realized I was able to purchase an archery Elk tag (any sex) to use from sept1 to oct31. So I think, had I been drawn for my Elk for november, Im not sure I'd have the option to get the archery elk over the counter.

Maybe I'm wrong? I mean, if Im allowed to purchase another Mule deer tag and be able to arrow either a buck or doe and save my mule buck draw for november then ill go get that. But it doesn't seem that clear and like i said I'm leaning towards not being able to do that.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 PM

I really think that if you could use the Antlerless Mule Deer tag in 221 from Sept 1 to Oct 31, then they would list an archery season. In the regs under Antlered Mule Deer there is an archery season from Sept 1 to Oct 31 and then there is a separate General Antlered Mule Deer season from Nov 1 to Nov 30. These 2 season are covered by 1 draw tag, so if you draw an Antlered Mule deer tag in 221 the regs clearly state you can use archery tackle from Sept 1 to Oct 31st and then general rules apply from Nov 1 to Nov 30th. If this was the case with the antlerless tag, then why would they not also state it clearly in the regs? I hunt in 232 and this is the exact same for Moose. There are 2 seasons listed, Sept 1 to Oct 31st for archery and then general from Nov 1 to Nov 30. To hunt both season I only need to be drawn for 1 moose tag in WMU 232.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
I had this same question. Im in 254 and was drawn my Mule Buck for November.
The first 2 listed in the regs is "Mule Deer" and "Antlered Mule Deer Special License" and then says "A Resident Adult may obtain only 1 of the first 2 licences." So that tells me I can't get 2 tags for mule deer. Even when I go onto Alberta RELM once i bought my Mule buck it removed any other option for mule deer from the list.

maybe I'm missing something?

Another example was last year I wasn't drawn for my General Cow Elk tag. I then realized I was able to purchase an archery Elk tag (any sex) to use from sept1 to oct31. So I think, had I been drawn for my Elk for november, Im not sure I'd have the option to get the archery elk over the counter.

Maybe I'm wrong? I mean, if Im allowed to purchase another Mule deer tag and be able to arrow either a buck or doe and save my mule buck draw for november then ill go get that. But it doesn't seem that clear and like i said I'm leaning towards not being able to do that.
The difference is your draw is for ANTLERED mule deer. You can't buy a general mule deer tag if you have a ANTLERED special license but you CAN if you have an ANTLERLESS special license. If an open general season exists for the animal of your special license you can use your special license then.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
The difference is your draw is for ANTLERED mule deer. You can't buy a general mule deer tag if you have a ANTLERED special license but you CAN if you have an ANTLERLESS special license. If an open general season exists for the animal of your special license you can use your special license then.

Do you know where in the regs it states this is allowed?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Do you know where in the regs it states this is allowed?
Yes in the link Kujo posted under Big Game Regulations, then under the heading Bowhunting:

"A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued."

Old 09-05-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yes in the link Kujo posted under Big Game Regulations, then under the heading Bowhunting:

"A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued."

Thank you, really appreciate it. I think I understand why they list the antlered mule and moose archery season now, it is because there is no general season for those animal in that WMU.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 PM

Now go fill both those tags and share the pics here