Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Default Shooting uphill and downhill

I was shooting at 50 yards from a big hill yesterday. The distance was 40 yards form the bottom of the hill. I used my 50 yard pin and hit pretty much dead on and with the 40 yard pin I hit low. Does it have to be an even more extreme steep angle before it really changes point of impact? Hill was about 20 yards high so it was pretty good.

Also practiced shooting uphill and downhill at a similar spot. Point of impact did not change again much at 50 yards.

U can see the angle of the arrows on how steep it was.

This was shooting uphil at 60 yards. Harder to steady the bow shooting up I found but the elevation was good. Just got to work on left to right sway shooting uphil

Finished off the day shooting a 90 yard group which I havn't shot more than a couple times before.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Ensure your 3rd axis is set correctly and watch your bubble, that's where your left/rights come. Maintain form and pivot on your hips.

LC
Old 08-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Do you think I am tilting the bow?
I found I shoot way better without a quiver on it so I am going to hunt with a hip quiver I think. I find it tilts my bow sideways too much and I don't shoot as good with it on.

I practice pulling the bow at a straight plane and then bend the hips to shoot up or down. It seems to help that way.

My main thing is people tell me to worry about shooting at steep angles but after doing it a bit I wonder why. My arrow impact does not change enough to worry about things. These targets were a good ten yards closer going from the bottom of the hill and I should be using a closer pin but found I aimed right on as if shooting flat and it hit perfect.
I would say I am shooting a 35-45 degree angle so maybe steeper than that might change it up but it is hard to find something that steep around here
Old 08-27-2017, 01:11 PM

When shooting from an elevated position the arrow flight is proportional to the horizontal distance traveled.

If you are 20 feet up in a perfectly straight tree, and the deer is 30 meters from the base of the tree, your actual distance from the deer will be 34-35 yards because of the angle. The arrow on the other hand reacts like it is traveling 30 meters.

My suggestion is to taken 2 arrows and shoot at 20 and 24 yards and compare the difference in impact.

Then do 30 and 34 and compare.

40 and 44 and compare.

What you will see is that at 20 and 24 there my be less than 1/2 inches difference. 30 to 34 may be 1 1/2 to 2 inches different. 40-44 might be 4-5 inches differences and this is why that most people need to start using a range finder over 40 yards. Once you are over 45 yards, a mis-judgement of 3 or more yards will result in a miss or worst yet, a high hit wound.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM

If everything is as you described, your 40 yard pin should be dead on. 40 yards horizontal is 40 yards horizontal. The discrepancy has to be in a change of form. It can be minor and tough to notice but you'll figure it out with the practice you're putting in. My best guess from my own experience is that you are anchoring ever so slightly higher, which is easy to do aiming downhill. If that happens your arrow is pointing slightly lower despite looking through the same peep at the same sight, thus making your 50 yards pin accurate.
That's a great hill to shoot down from. Did you try 20 and 30 yards from the base of the hill too? How were those results?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:07 PM

Get a ABA membership before the season starts as well. I sent ya a text. As everyone on this site should be.
They're the reason you got the season.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:59 PM

20 and 30 were dead on as well but maybe a couple inches higher is all. Not enough to worry about when shooting an animal.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 PM

Oh ok. It would make sense they aren't too far off.
If you shoot 40 yards on the flat with your 50 pin, that's what it should be like when you shoot 40 from base of hill to target but 50 line of sight while using the 50 pin. It's simple trigonometry on how it should be. When it comes down to real world results, you may not care to find the form correction so long as you're consistent and know how to put the arrow on the mark when it counts. More than likely you will be between 20-30 yards when you shoot anyway. No matter what, your practice will pay off. Good luck just finding the ram this year. You seem to have a knack for it
Old 08-27-2017, 10:06 PM

I will practice some more but I was kinda shocked that I was not shooting way off. I will spend some more time at it and see if I can find some steeper angles.
I hope my shot is 20 yards but practice at all situations makes you successful in the end. Would hate to screw it all up when given a chance
Old 08-27-2017, 10:33 PM

I have found shooting out to 100 yards has done more for me to correct my form than practicing at 30 all the time. The big thing for me was to consistently not be torquing the bow. Also had to work on not punching the trigger and pulling the shot to the right. I think your work on the hill will be huge for shooting in the mountain setting.
Can't wait to see your next ram here on the forum
Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Do you think I am tilting the bow?
I found I shoot way better without a quiver on it so I am going to hunt with a hip quiver I think. I find it tilts my bow sideways too much and I don't shoot as good with it on.

I practice pulling the bow at a straight plane and then bend the hips to shoot up or down. It seems to help that way.

My main thing is people tell me to worry about shooting at steep angles but after doing it a bit I wonder why. My arrow impact does not change enough to worry about things. These targets were a good ten yards closer going from the bottom of the hill and I should be using a closer pin but found I aimed right on as if shooting flat and it hit perfect.
I would say I am shooting a 35-45 degree angle so maybe steeper than that might change it up but it is hard to find something that steep around here
Hip Quivers sound cool and seem like a good idea, until you need to walk through tight bush or crawl on your hands and knees. Tightspot bow mounted is the bomb for all applications IMHO.

LC
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 AM

Find a bridge to shoot down of off. You will notice that at angles much greater than 45 degrees there will be big difference in which pin you will use. Also what works good is those plastic gold club tubes for holding extra arrows. Fill a couple of them and lash them to your pack.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:04 PM

Best explaination and how to set up your 3rd axis

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD89E8E2FAD1EF9E8
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
Find a bridge to shoot down of off. You will notice that at angles much greater than 45 degrees there will be big difference in which pin you will use. Also what works good is those plastic gold club tubes for holding extra arrows. Fill a couple of them and lash them to your pack.
What golf club tubes are you referring to? Extra arrows with fletching but no points on and just pack extra broadheads?