Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 09:55 PM

Default Charging for services

How can a business charge for a service if there workers are not qualified to do so at all.... and saying there a pro shop on a sign does that mean they are?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Banned

So don't go there course places are going to charge price nothing is free
Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Banned

Without any more info it's pretty much impossible for anyone to weigh in on this in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
How can a business charge for a service if there workers are not qualified to do so at all.... and saying there a pro shop on a sign does that mean they are?

Why did you need the services of a pro-shop? I thought you shot an APA......

you will have to shoot them and pick the one you like the best for you everyone is different ... they are both great bows .... I like the fact I don't need a 1000$ bow press to tune my bow or change out strings, as well it is one of the most tunable bows on the market and again you don't need a press to do that as well...
Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

you will have to shoot them and pick the one you like the best for you everyone is different ... they are both great bows .... I like the fact I don't need a 1000$ bow press to tune my bow or change out strings, as well it is one of the most tunable bows on the market and again you don't need a press to do that as well...
Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Worst opening post ever.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

Lol I don't need the service I just don't see how a place can charge for the service if the person doing the service has no idea on what to do... and it is bad cause the customers don't even know they have no clue the workers just pretend to know what there saying....

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 AM

There a box store calling them selves a pro shop I guess it's a buyer be ware out there lol

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
There a box store calling them selves a pro shop I guess it's a buyer be ware out there lol

Sorry, but again without names, as someone else pointed out...worst opening every.
And if you're afraid of a lawsuit or something if you name names...they your complaints are suspect...IMO.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:20 AM

So what makes someone qualified ? There isn't a recognised trade for being a Bow mechanic. No recognised trade certifications for this one , or formal training / apprenticeship .
Buy or build your own press and do it yourself.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:

My guess is that your referring to Wholesale now charging for services that they use to do for free?

SUN TZU
Old 08-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Unless a tech has been sent for factory training on the bows they service or have been mentored by someone who can properly train folks, very few Archery techs are "qualified" as such.

If a box store is going to tout they are a "pro-shop" they better pay attention to what the techs are doing as there is a level of implied expertise and therefore warranty recourse if something goes wrong.

Of the big box stores in the area that I would trust to touch my bow, there is only one guy I would and he doesn't even work in the archery department.

I'll stick to Jimbows or another qualified service provider like Accurate Archery for the things I can't do on my own.

LC
Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Lol I don't need the service I just don't see how a place can charge for the service if the person doing the service has no idea on what to do... and it is bad cause the customers don't even know they have no clue the workers just pretend to know what there saying....

People have to learn somehow. Take an apprentice mechanic for example, their first day on the job they probably know very little if anything at all. Of course the shop is going to charge the customer, but this is also why apprentices are supposed to be monitored by a journeyman.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 PM

How many bow techs at box stores have any formal training? My guess, very few. Doesn't mean you can't be self taught and really good at what you do.

LC
Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Your right they have to learn somewhere but if there's no one there to teach them.... they should get them training so they know where to start ..... I know at the one box store in North edmonton there is no one in the archery department that knows anything.... there is one guy there like lc was talking about... but he doesn't work it anymore.... the ones that are can talk the talk but in the long run they will screw up your bow more then it is... they can not put screws in with out stripping them and they don't know how to set a rest even but they talk like they know something....they have an instruction video that shows how to do it the wrong way....lol

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Your right they have to learn somewhere but if there's no one there to teach them.... they should get them training so they know where to start ..... I know at the one box store in North edmonton there is no one in the archery department that knows anything.... there is one guy there like lc was talking about... but he doesn't work it anymore.... the ones that are can talk the talk but in the long run they will screw up your bow more then it is... they can not put screws in with out stripping them and they don't know how to set a rest even but they talk like they know something....they have an instruction video that shows how to do it the wrong way....lol

Are you afraid of saying the name of the store? Pretty sure you won't get in trouble.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM

It's common place in edmonton ... and it has already been said ....

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-11-2017, 12:02 PM

"Pro" is a pretty undefinable term. Certainly no legal definition. It's just advertising. Don't take too much from it.

It would be nice if everyone you dealt with was an expert on the products they sold, but most aren't. I never expect ANY expertise in a big box store, nor do I automatically believe ANYTHING a guy behind a counter tells me. I do my research in advance and learn to do the basic things I need to have done. All I want anyone in a big box store to do is go into the back room, get me the product I ask for, and hand it to me. Period. I've heard too many stupid, blowhard, making-it-up-as-I-go-along comments.

For expertise I go to the gunsmith, the fly shop, or....gasp.... come here and ask you guys. LOL
Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM

I'm with Oki. If you want expertise go to a reputable shop. The term "pro" is both un-quantifiable and un-qualifiable. Best thing to do is go to reputable shops where others have had great experiences and the people behind the counter know what they are doing. 2 shops in the Edmonton area that come to mind are Accurate Archery and Jimbows. I don't go other places unless I am looking for something specific that they may have on the shelf that the other places I mentioned don't.

Norm
Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I'm with Oki. If you want expertise go to a reputable shop. The term "pro" is both un-quantifiable and un-qualifiable. Best thing to do is go to reputable shops where others have had great experiences and the people behind the counter know what they are doing. 2 shops in the Edmonton area that come to mind are Accurate Archery and Jimbows. I don't go other places unless I am looking for something specific that they may have on the shelf that the other places I mentioned don't.

Norm
Agree with this as well.

LC
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Don't forget Lawrence was once upon a time the guy behind the counter at Cabelas

If you guys think there are an abundance of qualified Bowtechs just sitting around waiting for the chance to go work for 15 or even 29 bucks an hour give your head a shake.

Hey Backyard with your obvious top notch skill set as a bow guru I am sure wholesale would hire you in a heartbeat
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM

There is a difference .... between Lawrence and the guys now .... the guys now don't care to do it properly or to improve or learn new things...

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-12-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Accurate Archery and Darren at Cabelas South - Jim Bows

3 choices all good guys!!!

Being defeated is optional!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

I really wish the bow whisperer (Lawrence) would open up a shop of his own and hire someone with the passion for archery he has, to pass on the knowledge he has. Carson and Dave over at Jimbows are great...... and busy.

I have seen shops charge for shoddy work before, unfortunately not all archers can spot it. What most archers can spot however, is good work. The bow fits you better, gets easier to draw, quieter, faster, and easier to tune your broad heads.

I have been fortunate enough to have known Lawrence for many years, and have had him work on pretty much every bow I've owned over the past 15+ years, so I've picked up a few things along the way but I still have to give her m a call every now and then.

The only people in the Edmonton area I personally would pay for them to work on my bow is Lawrence or Carson and Dave.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:20 PM

I've seen some questionable work from some " pros". If a guy has a press and has a real interest in it you could do it yourself.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Sounds like someone isn't happy or perhaps bitter with the shop he use to work for?

So you are upset that Wholesale Sports North doesn't have a "qualified" bow tech now that you are gone?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
"Pro" is a pretty undefinable term. Certainly no legal definition. It's just advertising. Don't take too much from it.

It would be nice if everyone you dealt with was an expert on the products they sold, but most aren't. I never expect ANY expertise in a big box store, nor do I automatically believe ANYTHING a guy behind a counter tells me. I do my research in advance and learn to do the basic things I need to have done. All I want anyone in a big box store to do is go into the back room, get me the product I ask for, and hand it to me. Period. I've heard too many stupid, blowhard, making-it-up-as-I-go-along comments.

For expertise I go to the gunsmith, the fly shop, or....gasp.... come here and ask you guys. LOL
Pro... pretty much means that you are paid for your services. So if you are paying the guy behind the counter to service your bow, then by definition I believe that he is actually a professional bow tech, regardless of how well he does the job. Therefore in paying for said services, you are validating the claims of the business that is making them. Simple solution, go some where else.

I've had some terrible work done to my bow by places that I would have expected better from. Wholesale probably cant do a whole lot worse IMO, after the work is done the bow either performs properly or it doesn't. My own policy is to never get my bow worked on anywhere that doesn't have a facility where I can sufficiently test the bow before I pay.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-17-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Is OP talking about service at the provincial or federal level?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Kinda like one calls themselves "prostaff" I often wonder if the manufacturer would have the same opinion.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Kinda like one calls themselves "prostaff" I often wonder if the manufacturer would have the same opinion.
Oh I'm pretty sure the manufacturer knows, approves, and designates a person "prostaff". It's short for "salesman". They may get varying amounts of equipment or sponsorship in exchange for saying nice things about the gear and tattooing the company logo on their foreheads.