Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-11-2015, 10:59 PM

Default Need a new sight

Spent my first season shooting a trophy ridge (hitman) 3 pin, i've been using my 40yd at 50 distance, now debating on a new 5 or 7 pin. Anyone tried the react sight?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Default React 5 pin

The first sight I had on my bow was a react 5 pin. While I found that it worked to sight in all the pins with the 20 and 30 set. It would always seem to loosen up and I would be all over the place vertically with 40,50 and 60 pins within a couple times of taking it out. Just my experience though. I switched to a Spot Hogg and have had no problems.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:39 PM

Had a react 5 pin as well, for how much it costs, I think around $170, id say it was a good sight. It worked well but it never really blew me away, the adjustments felt loose. That's more of a personal thing but like I said, for the money, I don't think that it's a bad choice.

However.... Jimbows has Montana black gold sights for about $230 which really isn't that much more and I know a lot of guys like those quite a bit.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Spott Hogg

I like fancy stuff like everyone else but rugged and easy to repair in the field are always top of the mind. I buy simple and well built - Spot Hogg Delivers on both counts.

React sight work on the pitch of the screw set rotation to predict your 40-50 -60 yards pins.
Which will save you time sighting but if your shooting at that distance for practice - how long does it take to turn a a hex screw and move a pin?

Being defeated is optional!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Never tried the sight you are considering, but I do use a Black Gold 7 pin sight. Works well, easy to adjust pins. Pins are bright and never had anything break on it, so i would call it well built. I would recommend looking closer at one.

Some advice on the pin options...the 7 pins is busy to look at. You can also run out of room in the sight housing if you don't pull a lot of weight or don't have a speed bow.

If I were to buy another fixed pin sight, it would be a 5 pin. I would sight my first pin at 30 instead of 20, because when I use my 30 pin at a 20 yard target I am only about 2.5 inches high...good enough for hunting, or I hold low. By setting you 1st pin at 30 you can still get out to 70 yards with a 5 pin sight.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Never tried the sight you are considering, but I do use a Black Gold 7 pin sight. Works well, easy to adjust pins. Pins are bright and never had anything break on it, so i would call it well built. I would recommend looking closer at one.

Some advice on the pin options...the 7 pins is busy to look at. You can also run out of room in the sight housing if you don't pull a lot of weight or don't have a speed bow.

If I were to buy another fixed pin sight, it would be a 5 pin. I would sight my first pin at 30 instead of 20, because when I use my 30 pin at a 20 yard target I am only about 2.5 inches high...good enough for hunting, or I hold low. By setting you 1st pin at 30 you can still get out to 70 yards with a 5 pin sight.
Yah that sounds like a good idea
Old 07-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

I have a brand new 5-pin CBE hybrid tek pro that has never been set up yet that I'd be willing to part with if you're interested in one of those.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT Hunter View Post
I like fancy stuff like everyone else but rugged and easy to repair in the field are always top of the mind. I buy simple and well built - Spot Hogg Delivers on both counts.

React sight work on the pitch of the screw set rotation to predict your 40-50 -60 yards pins.
Which will save you time sighting but if your shooting at that distance for practice - how long does it take to turn a a hex screw and move a pin?
Good advice right here. Spot Hogg's are bomb proof. If you want a fixed pin sight with 5 or 7 pins these are awesone sights. The Montana Black Gold Vengence is also a good one. Give them both a look.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Good advice right here. Spot Hogg's are bomb proof. If you want a fixed pin sight with 5 or 7 pins these are awesone sights. The Montana Black Gold Vengence is also a good one. Give them both a look.
Spot hoggs are awesome but the pin micro adjust is a pain in the arse. Once you do get em set though they are awesome
Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 AM

Default Mbg

Since you are already accustom to a 3 pin housing have a look at the MBG Ascent Hybrid in a 3 pin.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post

Or get a seven pin... set up bow ...shoot to see how pins the bow set up will allow...then if sight wont allow 7 simply remove one [or two] ...easy to sell pins also...

The MBG micro pins are a little more work to remove pins but easy once done...
My Bow APA AIR...set up @ 66lbs has seven pins very nicely spaced...I used a 7 pin Axion with Montana Black gold fibers

Neil
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 AM

Lots of awesome suggestions above...some like the Spothogg although top of the line may be heavy and expensive for some...Montanas [once our best seller] are not getting any cheaper either...

Good quaility sights like Axion, G5 and a few others are tuff and reasonable priced...

IMHO for a hunting sight..a sight loaded up with micro adjustments just adds more cost and weight...one can adjust a standard sight with a little attentive adjustment as close as micro adjust... without the added weight and cost...for hunting the KISS Syndrom applys...lol

Neil