Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM

Default HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra vs Black Gold

Looking at getting a new sight for hunting and I can't decide between the HHA optimizer lite ultra and a multi-pin Montana Black Gold. I really like the whole dial system with the HHA and I'm interested in trying a single pin but I'm not sure how I feel about adjusting that dial to compensate for changing distances in a hunting situation. On the other hand, the MBG sight seems like an all around good sight and I've never had a problem with multi-pins.

Interested in your guys opinions on both brands and any experiences from people who use single pins for hunting.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Default Mbg

I have a MBG sight and love it.My sight had some of the plastic crack on it ( likely from hunting in minus 36) so i decided to phone them up. I did not have to produce images,receipt or verify the purchase. it was a no questions asked give me what I need type experience and probably the best customer service I have ever experienced. Hard to argue with something like that.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 PM

After struggling with target panic for years, I've looked at some different ways of dealing with TP. One of the things that has helped is the single pin. There is less distraction from other pins and I love the clear site window. Also, I find target acquisition quicker with one pin. There may be times where it's a little more cumbersome to mess with moving your pin up or down, but the accuracy and clear site window and picture are an excellent trade off. I've never been able to shoot well at 60 or 70 yards, and this single movable pin stuff has allowed me to mess with this...even shooting out to 100 yds(purely for fun of course!)
I had the Optimizer Lite and recently upgraded to the HHA Optimizer lite Ultra. I love this sight. It's very well built and has a large viewing window.
Curious what you go with.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
After struggling with target panic for years, I've looked at some different ways of dealing with TP. One of the things that has helped is the single pin. There is less distraction from other pins and I love the clear site window. Also, I find target acquisition quicker with one pin. There may be times where it's a little more cumbersome to mess with moving your pin up or down, but the accuracy and clear site window and picture are an excellent trade off. I've never been able to shoot well at 60 or 70 yards, and this single movable pin stuff has allowed me to mess with this...even shooting out to 100 yds(purely for fun of course!)
I had the Optimizer Lite and recently upgraded to the HHA Optimizer lite Ultra. I love this sight. It's very well built and has a large viewing window.
Curious what you go with.
How accurate have you found their tape system to be, with the whole 20 and 60 yard sight in, etc.?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
How accurate have you found their tape system to be, with the whole 20 and 60 yard sight in, etc.?
I have a HHA kingpin and I find that the tape system is very accurate
Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 AM

I have used both... and now use a CBE Tek Hybrid 3 pin.

Won't be going back to HHA or MBG

Nothing wrong with them. I do feel the MBG has a more accurate dial system.

I did notice.. that like people say....you will forget from time to time to dial your pin back on a single pin. Lol. And even though MBG has that fibre system cover that darkens in sunlight... when shooting at the oilman. .. I noticed in shaded areas.. shooting a target in the shade but you in sunlight where you are standing would make the pins way to bright. Need to keep some electrical tape handy just for the odd occasion.

As much as I liked the HHA single pin I had... I actually was not confident that it was adjusting back and forth with consistency. Ex..... so if shooting at 20th. . Then move to 40 yd.. thrn back to 20yd, come back to 20 yards on the dial.. if stopping right on 20.. it would hit a tad high... but if you go past 20 and then come back to it.. like stop at 18 and go back to 20.. then it would be bang on. That kind of a glitch could be huge at further ranges. I could have had a defective one? But I just wasn't confident with it.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Both good sights the HHA is heavy and expensive but shooters love it...or dont!...for myself chasing elk a dial in just woldnt allow time in a lot of cases...so I stick with fixed!

One can get out there and touch things at long distance with the HHA

The Monatana are the brightest out there for sure...they make a great sight...have several with zero issues...

Another option is the G5 Optix XR which uses best of both worlds... 3 fixed pin plus 1 hybrid-floating pin sight allows the hunter to dial his distance to the exact yard in a matter of seconds.

http://www.g5outdoors.com/product_detail/30

Neil
Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
On the various tapes I have used, they have all been extremely accurate.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM

I started using an ha kingpin this year and have had zero problems adjusting to it. The tape system is incredibly accurate. I sighted in at 20 then 60 and picked the tape number and when it was installed it was bang on a75 and 100 as well as all distances marked on the tape.

If I set the pin at 32 yards I am in an 8" hit window to 40 or so yards, so for calling moose or elk it will be fine. Any more than that and I'll have time to adjust the sight.

It is fairly heavy, but if I'm going to be out a long way from my truck I'll take the carbon bow.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to see if Lawrence at accurate archery can order one and how long it'll take and then make my decision.