Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Default Can't move bow site high enough!?

I have been bowhunting and shooting for approx. 15 yrs. I just bought a couple of new bows and one of the bows I am shooting high. I have moved the site housing as high as I possibly can and moved the pins as high as I can and I am still shooting a little bit high. I have checked my nock point and reset it and checked my peep. I am looking for some other possible troubleshooting ideas I may not have thought of?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 PM

best bet would be to bring it in for someone to look at it, some thing is not set properly
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 PM

rest set right? what is it doing when you shoot it through paper?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Arrow centered in berger button...nock point approx 5/16 above 90 degree square from bottom of arrow on string....anchor draw with top of center serving approx in corner of mouth...adjust peep to fit from that anchor...if draw is right you should have ample room...

Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Arrow centered in berger button...nock point approx 5/16 above 90 degree square from bottom of arrow on string....anchor draw with top of center serving approx in corner of mouth...adjust peep to fit from that anchor...if draw is right you should have ample room...

Neil
^^ This guy sounds like he knows what he is doing
Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I worried so much about adjusting my nock point 90 degrees that I forgot to check the arrow was where it should be according to the berger button and the centre shot was also out. I watched the guy do this when I bought the bow but I guess he wasn't as competent as I thought. I should have known when he tied my d-loop and it had way too much play, could have almost nocked a second arrow! lol So... I had to adjust my sight upwards about 1/4 of an inch, thus adjusting my nock point upwards as well. I will go shoot and adjust my peep and hopefully I am in business.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
Thanks for the info. I worried so much about adjusting my nock point 90 degrees that I forgot to check the arrow was where it should be according to the berger button and the centre shot was also out. I watched the guy do this when I bought the bow but I guess he wasn't as competent as I thought. I should have known when he tied my d-loop and it had way too much play, could have almost nocked a second arrow! lol So... I had to adjust my sight upwards about 1/4 of an inch, thus adjusting my nock point upwards as well. I will go shoot and adjust my peep and hopefully I am in business.
Not sure I am understanding that...we dont move nock point to our sight adjustment...move sight to nock point adjustment when center shot...

Nock point 1/4 -5/16 or thickness of arrow nock slight high allowance...

Neil
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Original I just squared up my nock point 90 degrees using a level on the bowstring and nocked arrow. My bow was shooting high no matter what I tried. I looked at it closer last night after your advise and the arrow was way below the burger button holes. I also checked the centershot and my arrow was to the left a little. I raised my sight to the burger button, set the centreshot, then i checked the nock point square 90 degrees with levels and had to adjust my nock point upwards minutely.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:08 PM

OK..remember nock point is 1/4-5/16 above bottom of arrow in rest above 90 degrees [of bottom of arrow]

Regarding that rest left adjustment...modern design of bows now have certain torque at full draw putting rest further left than older bows ...so we set center of arrow in rest ...13/16 from riser... on most brand models to start...

Amazing how close this is to bows true center shot!!!

Neil
Old 06-04-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
OK..remember nock point is 1/4-5/16 above bottom of arrow in rest above 90 degrees [of bottom of arrow]

Regarding that rest left adjustment...modern design of bows now have certain torque at full draw putting rest further left than older bows ...so we set center of arrow in rest ...13/16 from riser... on most brand models to start...

Amazing how close this is to bows true center shot!!!

Neil
Thanks for your help Neil... I am really starting to feel this should be simpler. lol

I don't understand the 1/4 -5/16 above bottom of arrow, that seems like a lot and the arrow would not be at 90 degrees then and how would you get straight arrow flight? I watched a professional online... nock an arrow, find 90 degrees and tie his d-loop on either side of the arrow nock... with the top being the set nock and the bottom with a 1mm gap for arrow pinch. I like to be independent and not rely on a proshop as I live rural and when need help or get to the city to a proshop they always seem to be closed! lol

Does the arrow not need to be straight inline with the string and cams for the centreshot? I tried 13/16 of an inch to the centre of my arrow from the riser and the arrow looked like it was pointing left of centre by almost a 1/4 of an inch?

Last edited by abhunter8; 06-04-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I don't understand the 1/4 -5/16 above bottom of arrow, that seems like a lot and the arrow would not be at 90 degrees then? I watched a professional online... nock an arrow, find 90 degrees and tie his d-loop on either side of the arrow nock with the top being the set nock and the bottom with a 1mm gap for arrow pinch. I like to be independent and not rely on a proshop to make adjustments but contradictory information is starting to make things complicated. Does the arrow not need to be straight inline with the string and cams as the centreshot. I tried 13/16 of an inch to the centre of my arrow and the arrow looked like it was pointing left of centre by almost a 1/4 of an inch?

First the nock point ...look at picture...same thing...red line is bottom of arrow...standard nock is close to 1/4 thick most newer bows have a sweet spot slightly high ...hence 5/16....that is top of arrow nock at 90 Degrees from rest and bottom of arrow... same as squareing a arrow and tying a knot above and below nock...only a lot easier...

Second pending on what bow...if you hold bow up with arrow nocked ...not drawn... looking down arrow center string center of arrow in rest...look at sight pins... they will apper left of pins...however the dynamics of a bow at rest and a drawn bow are totally different...when drawn the string , rest and pins will all line up due to that natural torque...

at rest the cable guard pull on relaxed strings has a lot to do with looking different...there is only one way to center shot...however there is fine tuneing that may be different for each shooter ....same thing explained different..no contradictory information ....

If Im doing it wrong I have been doing it wrong for near 40 years...

lol
Neil
Old 06-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks Neil, I appreciate your information and help greatly, you are definitely one of the good guys and an asset for all of us on here!

Sorry miscommunication, I wasn't implying you were giving contradicting info. I meant the information to be found online is contradicting which can make things confusing. Thanks for taking the time to help me, if I get out your way I will stop in and shake your hand and say thank you in person.

Tonight I will measure again the nock point and when I go shoot my bow on the weekend I will play with the centreshot until I get it right... now knowing that it may appear a little to the left!
Old 06-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks Neil, I appreciate your information and help greatly, you are definitely one of the good guys and an asset for all of us on here!

Sorry miscommunication, I wasn't implying you were giving contradicting info. I meant the information to be found online is contradicting which can make things confusing. Thanks for taking the time to help me, if I get out your way I will stop in and shake your hand and say thank you in person.

Tonight I will measure again the nock point and when I go shoot my bow on the weekend I will play with the centreshot until I get it right... now knowing that it may appear a little to the left!
Nope all good ..I knew what you meant!!! stop in anytime
Neil
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:

paper tuning now will get it even better
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Another thing to check on is your peep height. If your peep is high your sight pins will be higher in your sight window. Lowering your peep sight as long as it is still comfortable will significantly lower your front sight
Old 06-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Another thing to check on is your peep height. If your peep is high your sight pins will be higher in your sight window. Lowering your peep sight as long as it is still comfortable will significantly lower your front sight
To a point...you have to have solid and proper anchor and comfortable as mentioned...than fit peep to suit anchor...

With eyes closed draw so top of center serving...or approx 1.5 inchs from nock point...[we set kissers button at 1.5 dead on center...works for 9 out of ten shooters...this is where most bows are designed for proper draw...

Once anchor is established regardless of style of release..my draw hand locks in my draw under ear between index finger and thumb with my release...

Once anchor is established open eye and have buddy mark center of line of sight....always move bow to you...never you to bow...close eyes draw and peep should be right there and complete sight ring clearly in peep...

Neil
Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 PM

Well... nothing has changed so I am off to a bow shop to try and figure it out.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM

I had that problem when I first started shooting. The guy at the bow shop moved my peep up a little bit and that fixed the problem. Happy shooting !
Old 06-10-2015, 07:59 AM

I have moved my peep up and down several times. I have moved my arrow rest, my nock point, checked my limbs and cam. Will figure it out...
Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 AM

May sound silly but using a Loop?

Neil
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM

I am using a loop.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Post a picture of your bow. Level it vertically, nock an arrow with the rest up (if a drop-away) Also have a friend take a photo at full draw from your anchor side and post that as well.

One possible cause could be an unusual low anchor point. This would cause your peep to be very high in the string needing you to have the sight housing really high for proper alignment. I have a very high anchor and I run out of room moving my sight housing down at about 90 yards. Any lower and my vanes would strike the housing. So maybe your issue is the reverse of mine.

Good Luck
Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Solve this yet?

Neil
Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM

Hi Neil. Thanks for the follow up. I have not had a chance from work and life to get to Edmonton or a shop. I will properly adjust peep first when I can get to an indoor range with a large target and more room for error as well as some professional help. lol I will let you know what we figure out.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM

What kind of sight? My bud had a trophy ridge and it was too high, flipped the arm upside down and was able to adjust it to proper height
Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Sorry, too low, flipped and was good
Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Im with neil on this. Either your peep may be too high or your nock point is too low. Just my .02
Old 07-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks to Neil and everyone else for you input. I finally found some time to make it into a shop but before I did I reset my knock point. When I had a nice big wall to shoot at from 20 yards... My peep definitely needed to come down. My sight is now ok... a little on the high side but definitely usable.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks to Neil and everyone else for you input. I finally found some time to make it into a shop but before I did I reset my knock point. When I had a nice big wall to shoot at from 20 yards... My peep definitely needed to come down. My sight is now ok... a little on the high side but definitely usable.
Still sounds that a slight adjusment is needed..with proper draw...anchor and peep location one should have ample room to raise sight ring ...
dont settle for anything but perfect...

JMHO
Neil
Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 AM

x2^^^^
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff