Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Fly reels, help a brotha out

Well after purchasing my first fly rod earlier this year my reel has sh*t the bed on me. It is a cheap plastic reel and after probably 100 hours of use it has had enough. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to stay away from? Ive got a 9' 5wt rod, would like to know a few opinions from some more experienced fly-men. Any info would help! Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM

I got a pflueger trion on my gf's 5wt and I got the same on my 7wt. Fairly inexpensive. And I've had no problems with em. Hope that helps a bit.

Sammy Boy
Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Was it a pawl/clicker style reel? you may have had the pawls set up wrong.

LC
Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiteeye View Post
I got a pflueger trion on my gf's 5wt and I got the same on my 7wt. Fairly inexpensive. And I've had no problems with em. Hope that helps a bit.
The Trions are are great fly reel for the money.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 PM

If you're looking for something inexpensive, give ROSS Worldwide a try. Their Flystart & Flyrise die cast reels are some of the best entry level reels on the market. If you're looking for an entry level bar stock, machined reel, the Trion is a gooder (just wish it wasn't silent). Orvis also makes an excellent entry level, machined, mid-arbor reel for a decent price. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 PM

go cheap. a expensive one is just that. nice to look at but does the same job as a cheap one. and if you fish like me you never use it anyway
Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
go cheap. a expensive one is just that. nice to look at but does the same job as a cheap one. and if you fish like me you never use it anyway
He did that already, that's why he needs a new reel.
He should be looking for something that's affordable to him but has some quality aspects to it. Stay away from Martin, RedWolf, Diawa and pretty much anything from Canadain tire or walmart.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Get the best reel you can afford!!

Large arbor is nice for anything larger then a 4 wt rod!!

P
Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiteeye View Post
fantastic reel, good bang for your buck, hard to find spare spools though
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

kijiji FTW
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM

A good reel for a low price is an okuma slv.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Was it a pawl/clicker style reel? you may have had the pawls set up wrong.

LC
It was the pawl style. The bolt piece which attaches both sides of the reel does not thread on anymore, so it just keeps falling apart.

Now for a 5wt should i stick with the pawl style or move over to the disc drag. Ive heard with lighter tippets a quality pawl reel will work better than the disc drag. Smoother delivery of the line to prevent any sudden changes in line tension. Any truth to this?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM

I enjoy both click and pawl and disc drag. I use both for trout and don't use the tension setting on either reels for fighting fish. The tension on my reels is set lightly to simply stop over spooling when pulling line out. Palming the reel to add tension when fighting a fish is preferred and works much better. The only time I use the tension setting for fighting a fish is when going after big pike. So really, it's your choice.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedativ3 View Post
It was the pawl style. The bolt piece which attaches both sides of the reel does not thread on anymore, so it just keeps falling apart.

Now for a 5wt should i stick with the pawl style or move over to the disc drag. Ive heard with lighter tippets a quality pawl reel will work better than the disc drag. Smoother delivery of the line to prevent any sudden changes in line tension. Any truth to this?
True with cheaper quality reels (for the most part - there are some inexpensive gems out there). Buy what you like and what feels good to your hand, and in your budget. I never did like a click/pawl reel, just not for me; they work fine though.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM

I have said this before, but will again:

Buy a medium quality rod, any reel that functions well, and the best lines you can afford.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

One of the best reels I have owned is the Daiwa Lochmor series clicker/pawl style (was around $50-60)....all metal internals....I have used it for fly fishing pike for over 10 years and still functions flawlessly. IMHO a reel is there just to hold the line, when fighting a fish I typically palm the reel and the drag doesn't do much for me....I am by no means an authority on the topic though.

LC
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I have 2 Hardy reels one I bought in the 70's the other about 10 yrs ago.

Kinda says it all I think.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Smile Did you wear it out?

I don't fish as often as I'd like but I've never worn one out. I fish trout. If you are a new fly fisherman, you must be catching a lot of big fish.

I have a pflueger I bought with money I earned delivering newspapers, 52 years ago, it still works just fine, made in the USA, as I became more prosperous the equipment went up in price, but it didn't effect the fishing.

What are you catching?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM

I have a good selection of reels and many of them get a good work out. If you are catching fish 5lb and less, spend as much money as you are comfortable with, but know that a decent $50 dollar Dragonfly Kamloops reel will perform the task as well as a $300 chromey, bling job. The Pfleuger Trion is a very good reel (I have one for my 9 wt spey), and the Okuma SLV is a solid trout rod, although I am not sold on the need for large arbour reel in anything under a 7 wt. One of my favorite reels (no longer made) is the aforementioned Dragonfly Kamloops 5/6. I just wrapped up a week long fishing trip to a BC lake where I was playing 4 and 5 pound rainbows regularly and had no problem handling them with this reel. My more robust reels are really only for salmon and steelhead.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I don't fish as often as I'd like but I've never worn one out. I fish trout. If you are a new fly fisherman, you must be catching a lot of big fish.

I have a pflueger I bought with money I earned delivering newspapers, 52 years ago, it still works just fine, made in the USA, as I became more prosperous the equipment went up in price, but it didn't effect the fishing.

What are you catching?
Well it was probably doomed from day one, this was the first fish i caught on it
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=133563

It was the only pike ive caught on it, since then ive caught hundreds of trout (mostly stocked one as it was easier to learn) and a few goldeye on the dry as well. I even have made a few trips up stauffer creek and had quite a bit of success, those who have fished it know its probably not the best for a novice fly fisherman haha but ive only managed to get snagged in them willows a handfull of times. But needless to say it was a cheap reel to begin with and i was looking to upgrade anyways, now i have no choice haha.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM

In my experience - can't say enough good about Lamson. I really like mine!! I've also enjoyed my Orvis reels.
Loomis makes garbage reels.
Have always hated any of my Redington reels.
Okuma makes nice cheap reels.
Anything made by Amundson should be used as kindling.
The TFO reels have never really impressed me, but I have yet to play with the BVK reel.

But for someone who doesn't want to break the bank, I steer them towards the Lamson Konic. 120 bucks and you're off to the races, you'll probably have it for a long long long time..........and you'll like it. Promise.

Last edited by huntin'fool; 07-15-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Greys GX300. What I have. Works well. Inexpensive.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
In my experience - can't say enough good about Lamson. I really like mine!! I've also enjoyed my Orvis reels.
Loomis makes garbage reels.
Have always hated any of my Redington reels.
Okuma makes nice cheap reels.
Anything made by Amundson should be used as kindling.
The TFO reels have never really impressed me, but I have yet to play with the BVK reel.

But for someone who doesn't want to break the bank, I steer them towards the Lamson Konic. 120 bucks and you're off to the races, you'll probably have it for a long long long time..........and you'll like it. Promise.
I'd like to know why you think loomis makes garbage reels and what your experiences are. I have some ventures, and they are bomb proof. I bought them 6 years ago, and they have been perfect since day 1.