Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Why isn't there more 3D ranges

A friend and I were looking into starting a 3D club/range but were wondering why there wasn't more around. Is it the money, area, or what? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM

I think iti s mostly because of the lack of volunteers for clubs.

We had over 60 members last year and you would see the same 7 people doing all the work.

Some people have also decided to do their own range in their back yard.

We have an excellent 3D range with 2- 20 animal loops in summer but it is a pile of work keeping everything in a state of repair!...

good luck on the start-up... if you need any help our sources for targets etc.. PM me
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Default 3D Ranges

The cost of the targets and the commitment of the club members is what usually dooms clubs. Back in the early nineties alot of clubs got their start from money given to them from the government. That has since gone by the wayside although there may still be money availiable. Most clubs try and raise money from 3D shoots, but most archers expect alot of door prizes etc. which ends up costing the host club. I also remember a guy in the Niton area who had a private range which he had available to the public at around $10/round. He didn't last more than 4 or 5 years. The bears and lack of customers did him in. The biggest plus you have right now is there seems to be a new generation of 3d'ers and they all what places to shoot. Good luck and if there is anything I can do to help as far as targets go pm me. Last year I helped our club in Whitecourt get $18000 in targets.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 PM

dont forget theft of targets...... always someone trying to start their on home 3d course at the cost of others....
Old 04-12-2008, 03:55 PM

I dont know but insurance wont be cheep. it would be nice to go shoot around of 3d insted of golf .
Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 PM

jim at pipestone has a couple of three d loops you can shoot. can't remember what he charges but there alot of them that a hard shot through the bush and grass.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:57 PM

my buddy is a member at parkland bowbenders they have ac pretty great course
Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews View Post
A friend and I were looking into starting a 3D club/range but were wondering why there wasn't more around. Is it the money, area, or what? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
What ever happened to Apache Archery? Not around anymore? There's a few guys around Stettler that were pretty active in the hunting scene a few years a go.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Apache Archery folded a while ago as far as i know, he moved and never opened a new one. If anyone is from the Stettler area and is interested in helping out shoot me a pm.