Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Question Looking for Landowner Help

Ok so being new to this in every which way, I am asking for some help from the landowners on here. I am going to be working on mapping out some areas in the wmu 248 for going knocking on doors to try and get permission to hunt. Now I know its already late in this year to be doing this but thing is I just got my bow about a week ago and am going to be doing it this spring for next hunting season. What as a landowner would you like to hear come from someone asking for permission or hunters who have gotten permission, what do you say to the landowner. I am of the type that asks LOTS of questions before trying anything out. so I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I was thinking of a card with my information on it to hand out as well as was suggested before, which I think is a great idea. Also can anyone maybe point me in the right area of 248 that I might have better luck getting a yes then a no. Thanks for the help
Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Sounds like the last sentence of your post is really what you're looking for, which I doubt you will get an answer to, the guys who do have permission worked hard to get it. By the first part of your post, you have the basics, plenty of time, get out and start knocking on doors in the spring and summer, you will get some "sorry", but you will also find places to hunt that you found yourself!, good feeling, also confirm with land owner if he does say yes, about advising him when you will be on his property and how many people will be with you...just a nudge, a lot of guys get permission and "assume" it's for them and all their buddies, make your intentions clear to the landowner as to conditions. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Ok so Maybe having a card the landowner can fill out with contact information as well would be a great idea, so I can let them know when I would be planning on hunting and if I happen across anything on the land. Right at the moment I am the only one with a bow but my spouse might be getting in to it so it would only be me and him for now. We actually don't hang out with many people who I would take out hunting lol
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi07 View Post
Ok so Maybe having a card the landowner can fill out with contact information as well would be a great idea, so I can let them know when I would be planning on hunting and if I happen across anything on the land. Right at the moment I am the only one with a bow but my spouse might be getting in to it so it would only be me and him for now. We actually don't hang out with many people who I would take out hunting lol
sounds like you have it covered, have fun!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM

In my exprience, you can have a great polite timely respectfull plan (which you do), but if they already have their mind made up you're SOL.

If you're targeting good habitat (always a good idea), don't expect to be the first person to have ever asked in 248.....it's likely someone is already hunting the grounds if they allow people on.

good luck!